Traded Ryan Griffen + Pick 6 traded for Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand this? He is what we need...griff was going whether we like it or not....as soon as that happened his worth plummeted. Pick 6 and a late mid 1st rounder is worth it for potentially the best power forward drafted since John brown

I know you must be still riding high on the fact that the Bulldogs finally pulled a move at the trade table, but the cold hard facts will eventually surface soon.

Why? - you say

The Bulldogs have purchased a young man who has kicked the "Grand Total" of 8 goals in the 9 games that he has played.

He hasn't dominated in any of his 8 games.

You have elected to pay him over $1 million a year for 7 years. (Massive risk and massive overs)

GWS then sensed that you would give them even more to get the deal over the line.

You then duly offered to cough up pick 6 as well, despite the fact that Peter Gordon made it quite clear that only a straight swap would be entertained by the Bulldogs.

Yet GWS sensed that there was even more that they could extract from the doggies.

Then came the grand daddy of them all.

The Bulldogs offered to pay Griffins salary for the 2015 season.

I'm happy that you think you got a good deal, but most football supporters are of the opinion that you got robbed by GWS.

By the way

I have a nice bridge in Sydney that you might be interested in.
It's sort of coat hanger shaped. But I can do the Bulldogs a good deal..

:rolleyes:

I know you must be still riding high on the fact that the Bulldogs finally pulled a move at the trade table, but the cold hard facts will eventually surface soon.

Why? - you say

The Bulldogs have purchased a young man who has kicked the "Grand Total" of 8 goals in the 9 games that he has played.

You have elected to pay him over $1 million a year for 7 years. (Massive risk and massive overs)

GWS then sensed that you would give them even more to get the deal over the line.

You then duly offered to cough up pick 6 as well, despite the fact that Peter Gordon made it quite clear that only a straight swap would be entertained by the Bulldogs.

Yet GWS sensed that there was even more that they could extract from the doggies.

I'm happy that you think you got a good deal, but most football supporters are of the opinion that you got robbed by GWS.

By the way

I have a nice bridge in Sydney that you might be interested in.
It's sort of coat hanger shaped. But I can do the Bulldogs a good deal..

firstly

You must be a real footballer follower if u don't realise big boys never go well in their first year....

have you seen his contract because none of the media that are reporting this have either and fyi he is on $180k in 2015

do you honestly think any club talks the truth to the media, haha amazing if u think that I feel for you.

the trade was always going to be something like griff and 6...buying players is the same as buying property. If u want to be a tightarse and get a bargin for a beautiful home g back to renting otherwise just pay what the seller wants if you really want the property.

the reason we are paying salary is simply to help us get to 95% in the cap...you realise all teams are required to DONT u and as we are extremely young we are no where near it even after front loading more contracts .

firstly

You must be a real footballer follower if u don't realise big boys never go well in their first year....

have you seen his contract because none of the media that are reporting this have either and fyi he is on $180k in 2015

do you honestly think any club talks the truth to the media, haha amazing if u think that I feel for you.

the trade was always going to be something like griff and 6...buying players is the same as buying property. If u want to be a tightarse and get a bargin for a beautiful home g back to renting otherwise just pay what the seller wants if you really want the property.

the reason we are paying salary is simply to help us get to 95% in the cap...you realise all teams are required to DONT u and as we are extremely young we are no where near it even after front loading more contracts .

A least do some research before posting.

Deal is just over 7 mill over 7 years

I didn't mention 2015 on its own - you did

Believe what you want - I don't care

It will be interesting to see what The Bont, Macrae, and Libba want as a pay rise next time round. - $1 mill plus?

I can only suggest that negotiating, and economics were never your strong suit at school.

Anyhow - enjoy your new purchase.

A least do some research before posting.

Deal is just over 7 mill over 7 years

I didn't mention 2015 on its own - you did

Believe what you want - I don't care

It will be interesting to see what The Bont, Macrae, and Libba want as a pay rise next time round. - $1 mill plus?

I can only suggest that negotiating, and economics were never your strong suit at school.

Anyhow - enjoy your new purchase.
give me proof to back up your claim of $7m? I don't mean a article by a dumb journo.

when the bont Libba and macrae become power forwards they will get that coin :)

give me proof to back up your claim of $7m? I don't mean a article by a dumb journo.

when the bont Libba and macrae become power forwards they will get that coin :)

Be sure to let us all know when Tom Boyd becomes a "Power Forward" as well.

Why? - you say

This is one of your 'cold hard facts'? He's 19!

It's a risk, but it's not exactly a huge risk. Griffen is 28 years old and was going to retire if he wasn't traded, and we gave up Pick 6, which would've secured us just another speculative player who isn't even in the same class as Tom Boyd.

Did you expect him to walk into the system and boot 50 goals in his first year? If he'd done that, do you think GWS would have parted with him for an aging midfielder who could retire any minute and a draft pick?

Of all the reasons to criticise the Dogs, this is the most laughable.

GWS also made it clear that "Tom Boyd will not be traded - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES."

It wasn't exactly savvy recruiting on their part, they were forced to trade Boyd because they had an iron-clad guarantee that he was either leaving now, or next year, when they risk losing him for nothing (and missing out on Griffen, too).

We won't know which team wins the deal, but both backflipped on their initial statements. Both walked out of Etihad Stadium with humble pie smeared all over their faces.

The Bulldogs offered to pay a PERCENTAGE of Griffen's salary, in order to meet the salary cap floor, in accordance with AFL rules. For a man pretending to deal in "cold hard facts", you don't mind manipulating them.

This is one of your 'cold hard facts'? He's 19!

It's a risk, but it's not exactly a huge risk. Griffen is 28 years old and was going to retire if he wasn't traded, and we gave up Pick 6, which would've secured us just another speculative player who isn't even in the same class as Tom Boyd.

Did you expect him to walk into the system and boot 50 goals in his first year? If he'd done that, do you think GWS would have parted with him for an aging midfielder who could retire any minute and a draft pick?

Of all the reasons to criticise the Dogs, this is the most laughable.

GWS also made it clear that "Tom Boyd will not be traded - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES."

It wasn't exactly savvy recruiting on their part, they were forced to trade Boyd because they had an iron-clad guarantee that he was either leaving now, or next year, when they risk losing him for nothing (and missing out on Griffen, too).

We won't know which team wins the deal, but both backflipped on their initial statements. Both walked out of Etihad Stadium with humble pie smeared all over their faces.

The Bulldogs offered to pay a PERCENTAGE of Griffen's salary, in order to meet the salary cap floor, in accordance with AFL rules. For a man pretending to deal in "cold hard facts", you don't mind manipulating them.
Aren't they paying 25% each year for the next four years though?

Out of our big 3 Boyd was the most expendable, even allowing for Patton's knee.

Boyd is the most accurate kick and is a good mark however he does not have any tank, is lazy and very one dimensional.

Boyd from what we've seen is not a team man, he's selfish and is prone to making excuses when things don't work out.

His crew bitched all year about not getting games even when he was not running out games, not offering defensive pressure and not re-leading. He complained about being too heavy but this is the same kid who was too heavy as a younger player and was criticised for his diet and regime only to blame that on injury??

At the end of the season when his team mate does a knee he gets his unscrupulous agent to come out in the media and announce he will not re-sign under any circumstance so that he can get the same offer from the same desperate team making his position with GWS untenable.

The never bought into GWS and was not at all popular amongst his team mates which is evidenced in the leadership group eagerness to cut him loose and comments made by team mates subsequent to his defection.

He is however a talented player who will only improve and he will be blessed with an equally good midfield to spoon feed him opportunities.

He should definitely become a 50 goal + per year player as he matures so whilst I think he's a selfish sh*t bloke Bulldogs have more than likely taken a very safe long term gamble.

Last edited:
Out of our big 3 Boyd was the most expendable, even allowing for Patton's knee.

Boyd is the most accurate kick and is a good mark however he does not have any tank, is lazy and very one dimensional.

Boyd from what we've seen is not a team man, he's selfish and is prone to making excuses when things don't work out.

His crew bitched all year about no getting games even when he was not running out games, not offering defensive pressure and not re-leading. He complained about being too heavy but this is the same kid who was too heavy as a younger player and was criticised for his diet and regime only to blame that on an injury??

At the end of the season when his team mate does a knee he gets his unscrupulous agent to come out in the media and announce he will not re-sign under any circumstance so that he can get the same offer from the same desperate team making his position with GWS untenable.

The never bought into GWS and was not at all popular amongst his team mates which is evidenced in the leadership group eagerness to cut him loose and comments made by team mates subsequent to his defection.

He is however a talented player who will only improve and he will be blessed with an equally good midfield to spoon feed him opportunities so he should definitely become a 50 goal + per year player as he matures so whilst I think he's a selfish sh*t bloke Bulldogs have more than likely taken a very safe long term gamble.

It will be interesting how it turns out, apparently he already has a few mates at our Club and may feel more comfortable there. You sound like you know him well and have met him at least once, so I'll leave it to you to make judgements on his character...

It will be interesting how it turns out, apparently he already has a few mates at our Club and may feel more comfortable there. You sound like you know him well and have met him at least once, so I'll leave it to you to make judgements on his character...

Yep. Got to be remembered he's still only a 19 year old kid.

Apparently GWS allowed him to balloon out to 110kgs which affected his tank and agility. The Dogs plan to get him lighter and fitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of things to consider

• The GWS supply to the forwards wasn't fantastic, so that might be a factor in Boyd's lack of impact may have something to do with that. Admittedly though, this wasn't an issue for Cameron.
  • First year players usually don't have a good tank. This was one of the Giants biggest issues in their first two years. I imagine Boyd's tank will come in time.
  • He did do some pretty classy things which indeed show he isn't just a big body.
I'm not a supporter/member of the Bulldogs so it's none of my business how much they want to pay their players, however I reckon the big price paid to acquire Boyd is partially about giving hope to the supporters and deflecting attention away from the issues with senior players leaving and the lack of coach. Now the supporters have something shiny and new, it seems the defection of Griffen and the lack of head coach are irrelevant side issues. So from that point of view, the bulldogs management have indeed steadied the ship.

In short, I have little doubt he's going to be a great player, and if we could have kept him (long term) I'm sure we would have. Whether his future performance will justify the alleged contract he's getting remains to be seen.

It's hilarious on here
Didn't Melbourne put up a nice long contract up for the experienced Jesse Hogan?
The kids played 9 games of experience , and of course it's high risk.
But making judgements on exposed form currently is just totally insane .

BF never ceases to amaze me. For years everyone has been saying that the Dogs need a power forward. And then when they go and get the best PF kid out there, everyone slams them.

Boyd was clearly the #1 pick the draft. There was never any doubt that he would not be pick #1. To the poster who said that Wright will be better and can be picked up with pick 6, I call bullshit. Wright may well be available at 6 but there is no way he will be a better player than Boyd. This kid is a contested marking machine who can kick beautifully and is excellent for a big man below his knees. You can't buy that in a big bloke...well you can and the Doggies just did.

There are posters going on about his fitness. Well, well, well...seriously what do you expect from a first year player?!

Sour grapes or stupidity...take your pic.

Well done Bulldogs on a fantastic pick up. Curb your expectations for next year but you've got yourselves a gun in the making.

BF never ceases to amaze me. For years everyone has been saying that the Dogs need a power forward. And then when they go and get the best PF kid out there, everyone slams them.

Boyd was clearly the #1 pick the draft. There was never any doubt that he would not be pick #1. To the poster who said that Wright will be better and can be picked up with pick 6, I call bullshit. Wright may well be available at 6 but there is no way he will be a better player than Boyd. This kid is a contested marking machine who can kick beautifully and is excellent for a big man below his knees. You can't buy that in a big bloke...well you can and the Doggies just did.

There are posters going on about his fitness. Well, well, well...seriously what do you expect from a first year player?!

Sour grapes or stupidity...take your pic.

Well done Bulldogs on a fantastic pick up. Curb your expectations for next year but you've got yourselves a gun in the making.
Fantastic post !

Make what you will of the contract, but the trade itself was very fair. Let's see:

1. Griffens value was around pick 4 (4 and 7 was never tabled and was never going to be).
2. We threw in pick 6 as well, effectively meaning we gave up 4 and 6 for boyd.
3. St kilda subsequently knocked back an offer of 4 and 6 for pick 1. So they value this years pick 1 over what we paid for Boyd.
4. Boyd would clearly go number 1 in this draft ahead of petracca.

I can't see how fans can't understand that the trade itself was very fair and if anything, the dogs had a slight win on it.

Queries on the contract I can understand. But we are soooooo far from paying the salary floor in 2016. All the kids have been front loaded and extended. We'll still have plenty of room to throw big money at Carlisle and WHE next off-season, and have enough to continue to re-up bonti, Libba and the rest of the pups.

Brilliant list management from j McCartney.

Make what you will of the contract, but the trade itself was very fair. Let's see:
Queries on the contract I can understand. But we are soooooo far from paying the salary floor in 2016. All the kids have been front loaded and extended. We'll still have plenty of room to throw big money at Carlisle and WHE next off-season, and have enough to continue to re-up bonti, Libba and the rest of the pups.

Brilliant list management from j McCartney.

Brilliant list management or desperate list management?

Only time will tell but given you would have got #4 & #7 out of an equally desperate GWS (who were pot committed to Griffen), you'd likely be going into this draft holding selections #4, #6 & #7.

Boyd will undoubtedly be a very good player but you may spend some time wondering what could have been, had have you taken three quality players from the top end of this draft.
Those players will have names soon and they could be a Morton, Myers and Palmer (2007 draft) or a Hartlett, Yarran & Rich (2008 draft)

Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back