Traded Shane Biggs and pick 39 (Sydney) traded to Western Bulldogs for pick 37

Remove this Banner Ad

A week later and this trade got no attention, talk about low-key.

Biggs played some ok games for Sydney, including a couple of finals. Will be interesting to see how he goes with more opportunity.

Pick 37 came from Essendon for Cooney so we turned that into Biggs and 39.

Cooney for 39 and Biggs.

Is that a good trade?

Sydney fans seem to rate Biggs, quick and good skills. Haven't seen enough of him to say. Had no problems with Cooney leaving though.

Happy that Biggs chose us over Essendon, and with Carlton sniffing around too

Cooney for 39 and Biggs.

Is that a good trade?

I'm very pleased with that. Good user and can play half back and on the wing. Decent speed and also has nice shut down ability. Did very well on Griffen when we played the Swans.
Not much difference between pick 37 and 39 in this draft and I don't think swans will be able to get O.Mcdonald with 37. Think he goes earlier than that.

I'm very pleased with that. Good user and can play half back and on the wing. Decent speed and also has nice shut down ability. Did very well on Griffen when we played the Swans.
Not much difference between pick 37 and 39 in this draft and I don't think swans will be able to get O.Mcdonald with 37. Think he goes earlier than that.

You can never have too many blokes with good foot skills, Biggs is a very good user of the ball and he can rack the possessions up if need be.

We have plenty of blokes with awful footskills. Happy to bring someone in who can hit a target for a change.

Especially off HB/mid. He is basically a direct replacement for Higgins. The interesting part is where the Dogs will play him though. His best games in the reserves have been on ball but there are obvious reasons as to why he has played AFL in the backline.

Especially off HB/mid. He is basically a direct replacement for Higgins. The interesting part is where the Dogs will play him though. His best games in the reserves have been on ball but there are obvious reasons as to why he has played AFL in the backline.

I'd have him replace Higgins at HB. I'd prefer to push Jason Johannisen from HB to the wing so Biggs can help out Easton Wood and Liam Picken as our starting small/medium defenders. We need some elite speed around the ball so thats why I'd prefer Biggs at HB (hes not slow by anymeans) but our midfield with Griffen and Cooney out becomes very very slow.

I'd have him replace Higgins at HB. I'd prefer to push Jason Johannisen from HB to the wing so Biggs can help out Easton Wood and Liam Picken as our starting small/medium defenders. We need some elite speed around the ball so thats why I'd prefer Biggs at HB (hes not slow by anymeans) but our midfield with Griffen and Cooney out becomes very very slow.

I expect you are right, also gives the midfield some depth were JJ and Biggs can swap during games if need be. You will have enough speed in there, not as if Cooney was lasting too much longer despite what he is proclaiming now. I actually like your trade week. You got a 150-200 game player in Biggs for a bunch of chips. Got your long term key forward. Good trading.

I expect you are right, also gives the midfield some depth were JJ and Biggs can swap during games if need be. You will have enough speed in there, not as if Cooney was lasting too much longer despite what he is proclaiming now. I actually like your trade week. You got a 150-200 game player in Biggs for a bunch of chips. Got your long term key forward. Good trading.

Was reasonably pleased overall. Boyd is a gamble we just had to take and we effectively have 6 picks from pick 25 - 46 (Z.Cordy being that F/S). Outside run, a CHF and a CHB the main draft priorities at the kennel.

Was reasonably pleased overall. Boyd is a gamble we just had to take and we effectively have 6 picks from pick 25 - 46 (Z.Cordy being that F/S). Outside run, a CHF and a CHB the main draft priorities at the kennel.

I don't see Boyd as a gamble. Griffin was gone anyway, so you effectively got Boyd for pick 6...he is a pick 1 standard player. 200cm key forwards don't grow on trees. You need some depth in the CHB and probably a genuine winger- sort of a Brad Hill type. You have the rest.

I don't see Boyd as a gamble. Griffin was gone anyway, so you effectively got Boyd for pick 6...he is a pick 1 standard player. 200cm key forwards don't grow on trees. You need some depth in the CHB and probably a genuine winger- sort of a Brad Hill type. You have the rest.

Yeah agree CHB in O.McDonald is where we should go as well as someone like Menadue with elite speed and good ball use at 27. I want dahlhaus to push further up the ground so I'm hopeful there is a capable small forward in the 30s to 40s. Our tall defence unit is paper thin, particularly when a lot of people believe Jordan Roughead should be a forward/2nd ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agree CHB in O.McDonald is where we should go as well as someone like Menadue with elite speed and good ball use at 27. I want dahlhaus to push further up the ground so I'm hopeful there is a capable small forward in the 30s to 40s. Our tall defence unit is paper thin, particularly when a lot of people believe Jordan Roughead should be a forward/2nd ruck.

Surely with the Boyd trade you don't need Roughead down there. You have Boyd, Cramer (2nd/3rd) and stringer (2nd/3rd) and Dallalus (sp.) as the crumbier. Then ideally you have Ayce Cordy long term as the ruck. Your biggest need is a genuine monster tall back, McDonald I might even go at 27, can't see the Swans passing at 37 and that is if McDonald lasts that long. Wingers you can find easily.

Surely with the Boyd trade you don't need Roughead down there. You have Boyd, Cramer (2nd/3rd) and stringer (2nd/3rd) and Dallalus (sp.) as the crumbier. Then ideally you have Ayce Cordy long term as the ruck. Your biggest need is a genuine monster tall back, McDonald I might even go at 27, can't see the Swans passing at 37 and that is if McDonald lasts that long. Wingers you can find easily.

I don't want Boyd to play as a 2nd ruck at any stage of his bulldog career and J.Roughead has the mobility to play as a 2nd ruck/forward. Its a real conundrum for most dogs supporters. Stringer is more than capable at CHF and Crameri as the 3rd tall forward. So sometimes I get torn as to whether we play Roughead forward or back. At the moment with our current stocks he plays defense and can hopefully chip away in the ruck as well. But as you said we need another 95cm + KPD to help out. FWIW Tom Campbell is far and away a better more capable ruckman than Cordy and Ayce could find himself in big trouble at the end of next year if he doesn't grab a spot. This is his 7th season on the list coming up needs to do something.

I don't want Boyd to play as a 2nd ruck at any stage of his bulldog career and J.Roughead has the mobility to play as a 2nd ruck/forward. Its a real conundrum for most dogs supporters. Stringer is more than capable at CHF and Crameri as the 3rd tall forward. So sometimes I get torn as to whether we play Roughead forward or back. At the moment with our current stocks he plays defense and can hopefully chip away in the ruck as well. But as you said we need another 95cm + KPD to help out. FWIW Tom Campbell is far and away a better more capable ruckman than Cordy and Ayce could find himself in big trouble at the end of next year if he doesn't grab a spot. This is his 7th season on the list coming up needs to do something.

Boyd should be like Jarryd Roughead in that he can ruck in the forwardline a bit but that is where it ends, he isn't a great ruck but what he is is a fantastic mark and a good set shot. Boyd/Crameri/Stringer as the 3 talls is perfect although Stringer will play minutes on ball you would assume as he was a dead set freak in the middle as a junior. Jordan Roughead plays back, don't see any place forward, you are probably too tall if you do. Fair point with Campbell, I was impressed with cordy's game against the Swans though.

I like this deal. Not that I think Biggs is any certainty to make it long term. If he was he would've taken Rhys Shaw's spot by now at Sydney. But the dogs needed someone ready made to replace Cooney and Higgins on the outside/half back and got it for free. He's got to tidy up his defending and kicking (which is good not great) but there's a lot to like. I'd much rather him than what Melbourne have from half back.

The dogs have many challenges to building a team.
- Key defense
- Finding a 2nd ruck agile enough to complement Boyd inside 50 without getting in the way
- Making sure Campbell or Cordy are actually good enough to take over from Minson
- Back flank and midfield depth (and this is vital short term as well as long so the kids aren't crippled)

Biggs is the kind of free pick up who should help in what really is likely to be a backwards 2015 and maybe 2016 as well. I think the dogs will be hunting for a ready to impact experience midfielder as well in the delistings.

So you could definitely see Biggs slotting into our best 22 from round 1?
It seems so bizarre that swans fans didn't want to lose him, but all you got was a 2 pick upgrade for him? and I know its been pointed out, that you already committed to using pick 38 on a accadamy player. We only really went back 1 spot in the draft to pick up a most likely best 22 player.
I like the fact that he has good skills, reasonable pace, and by what I have seen, a real good attack on the contest. Coming from Sydney swans though, you just know that there is no question on having to ne hard and fierce on the contest.
Pretty happy with the pick up.
Especially if he turns out to be a direct replacement for Higgins, and with the pick we got for Higgins that we get a key defender in Oscar Mcdonald. So basically turn cooney and Higgins into Oscar Mcdonald, Biggs and pick 39

It seems so bizarre that swans fans didn't want to lose him, but all you got was a 2 pick upgrade for him? and I know its been pointed out, that you already committed to using pick 38 on a accadamy player. We only really went back 1 spot in the draft to pick up a most likely best 22 player.
I like the fact that he has good skills, reasonable pace, and by what I have seen, a real good attack on the contest. Coming from Sydney swans though, you just know that there is no question on having to ne hard and fierce on the contest.
Especially if he turns out to be a direct replacement for Higgins, and with the pick we got for Higgins that we get a key defender in Oscar Mcdonald. So basically turn cooney and Higgins into Oscar Mcdonald, Biggs and pick 39

Swans were hurt badly by the BS trade concession.

Boyd should be like Jarryd Roughead in that he can ruck in the forwardline a bit but that is where it ends, he isn't a great ruck but what he is is a fantastic mark and a good set shot. Boyd/Crameri/Stringer as the 3 talls is perfect although Stringer will play minutes on ball you would assume as he was a dead set freak in the middle as a junior. Jordan Roughead plays back, don't see any place forward, you are probably too tall if you do. Fair point with Campbell, I was impressed with cordy's game against the Swans though.
Its really a make or break year for Cordy next year. He is the kind of player we need. The agile ruck they can damage up forward. Future plan is for him and Campbell to work in tandom for the future. But until Minson retires, Cordy needs to step up and support Minson. We can't play Campbell, Minson and Boyd in the one side in my opinion. Cordy needs to get his body right. I still have hope for him.
Finally hoping he gets a injury free preseason

Swans were hurt badly by the BS trade concession.
I can understand this. But just because they can't bring a player in, doesn't mean they are forced to trade out a player.
Why couldn't they just keep him. Did he really want out that bad. Surely he could of been offered a almost guaranteed spot with Malceski leaving

I can understand this. But just because they can't bring a player in, doesn't mean they are forced to trade out a player.
Why couldn't they just keep him. Did he really want out that bad. Surely he could of been offered a almost guaranteed spot with Malceski leaving

I think Biggs has had his 3 years on the rookie list and Sydney already have there 3 academy kids for there 3 mandatory draft picks. Plus you factor in guys like Goodes, Shaw etc staying on the list leaves them very very little wriggle room.

Oh he will be best 22. A lot of Swans fans had him replacing Shaw (and I still have no idea why Shaw is going on). The concessions hurt but in reality he was out of contract and we weren't going to get a great deal. Ideally our 2nd for your 2nd but we had to big for Hiscox (academy). So a 3rd round swap isn't that bad. I honestly wish him luck. He is pretty much a Higgins clone although I see him more as a midfielder personally.

Pretty much needed Shaw to retire and frankly I hope I'm wrong but I struggle to see Shaw doing much. This has O'Keefe in 2014 written all Over it

Oh he will be best 22. A lot of Swans fans had him replacing Shaw (and I still have no idea why Shaw is going on). The concessions hurt but in reality he was out of contract and we weren't going to get a great deal. Ideally our 2nd for your 2nd but we had to big for Hiscox (academy). So a 3rd round swap isn't that bad. I honestly wish him luck. He is pretty much a Higgins clone although I see him more as a midfielder personally.
If he is a Higgins clone with a tough side to his game then he is more than a Higgins clone. Higgins is one of the most skilful players we had, but was constantly injured, and wasn't very hard on the contest.
You say he is a Higgins replacement but hard at the contest then we have upgraded on Higgins.

Higgins is a bit like Daisy (not in playing style, but as a overated player). Dogs don't have many players who are rated in general, yet Higgins was just rated as this skilful player. And every year he gives the same speech about how this is his best preseason, and this will be his big breakout year, no injury concerns, and then he plays 3 games and out for the year. Did play better this year. Would of been content keeping him, but think we got a good deal in free agency for him. pick 27 for him is very handy, especially now that we don't have a first round pick. having picks 26, 27, 39, 42 and 43 is reasonable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back