Toast Shannon 'Bunga' Hurn: Our new captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apples with oranges Soze. I think everyone here would agree getting the ball into Hurns hands and trying to have him put a stamp on the game offensively is something we all really want. Personally i'd almost rather he just concentrated on that. Now there is the added pressure of being captain to go with the fact he gets tagged most weeks.

Glass was the obvious replacement, didn't have to worry about being tagged or getting the ball. Ya feel?

I think he has the right temperament to cope with any added pressure and he had the last half of this season to get used to leading the defence in the absence of Glass

I'm not sold that being captain "on field" is that arduous a duty.

Blokes lead on field regardless of their title. Being vocal isn't the responsibility of one man.

Captaincy is more about being a front for media and enhanced responsibility at training and around the club.

Cricket on the other hand has a major responsibility for captains on match day... footy not so much

Very happy with the choice of Bunga.
Was who I wanted to get the gig .

He pretty much directed the traffic last season after Glass made his announcement.

Bunga is a natural leader and outstanding Clubman.

Another big tick from me as I am really liking what I am seeing evolve under Simpsons watch.

I think he has the right temperament to cope with any added pressure and he had the last half of this season to get used to leading the defence in the absence of Glass

Maybe you're right. I certainly hope so. Technically this was his 2nd best year (after 2009) for average disposals, so that's a big plus.

Welcome, Captain Hurn. I love you, perfect Leader!

tumblr_lv5i7grRn11qztjn5o1_500.png

Yeah great call.

Has been on the cusp of an All Australian season for a while now, lets see if this takes his game to that next level. We all know how deadly he is when we get the ball to him enough.

Apples with oranges Soze. I think everyone here would agree getting the ball into Hurns hands and trying to have him put a stamp on the game offensively is something we all really want. Personally i'd almost rather he just concentrated on that. Now there is the added pressure of being captain to go with the fact he gets tagged most weeks.

Glass was the obvious replacement, didn't have to worry about being tagged or getting the ball. Ya feel?
What's the alternative?
We can't just keep making full backs captains because they don't have as much pressure on them.

The other options were:
Selwood - whose playing standard is under even more pressure.
Kennedy - who gets more attention than Hurn as our number one key forward.
Priddis - who is about to turn 30.
Waters - who is always injured.
Mackenzie - is he even known as a leader?

If Hurn is the best leader for the job, then it's the right decision.
If it has an effect on his game, we deal with that as it comes.

What's the alternative?
We can't just keep making full backs captains because they don't have as much pressure on them.

The other options were:
Selwood - whose playing standard is under even more pressure.
Kennedy - who gets more attention than Hurn as our number one key forward.
Priddis - who is about to turn 30.
Waters - who is always injured.
Mackenzie - is he even known as a leader?

If Hurn is the best leader for the job, then it's the right decision.
If it has an effect on his game, we deal with that as it comes.

I'm stoked with Hurn. He and Mckenzie were my 2 choices so i'm glad at least one of them got it.

You're right, it's hard to make a case for a lot of the contenders.

Congratulations to Hurn. Solid character, player, and now captain.

I look forward to seeing him lead the club.

Boom!

898404-shannon-hurn.jpg

Exactly - solid character sums it up to a tee. I didn't really think he would get it though - thought it would go to someone who really sets the tone on the training track, and I've never heard that of him.
All said though, a good choice.
Now bring on the season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Dark Sharks to set his inner eeyore at rest

"It means a lot to me,” Hurn said. “Obviously it is a great honour to be captain and to lead this playing group, but to be perfectly honest it won’t change me a lot. I don’t imagine I will change the way I play or how I go about it."

Perfect choice for captain!

Bunga, you can thank me for your sponsorship this year by leading the team to a premiership ;)

The way that Priddis turned to Hurn first at the Brownlow and shook his hand. Hurn just had the look of the captain in that moment. Also think he is a better speaker than many give him credit for, much better than McKenzie who came across as a bit immature at the John Worsfold medal night.

Good choice eagles. Congrats Hurn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back