News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Not for me.
It says jan 30th, 10-12

It will depend on your timezone. If you are already logged into Facebook the link will appear correctly (10am-12pm) as you will a GMT +10 timezone. If you are not logged in you probably get an American Timezone therefore its says the event is happening at 2am-4am.

It will depend on your timezone. If you are already logged into Facebook the link will appear correctly (10am-12pm) as you will a GMT +10 timezone. If you are not logged in you probably get an American Timezone therefore its says the event is happening at 2am-4am.

Ah,I'm not on Facebook so that explains it.Cheers kriso :thumbsu:

Does anybody know if they have started pulling down the old Doug Wade Stand and what the club is doing to help members with seating in that stand get alternative such as the Ablett Terrace standing room area for the coming season? I'm guessing anybody wanting to walk in off the street this year won't have a hope in hell of getting in and finding standing room.

Does anybody know if they have started pulling down the old Doug Wade Stand and what the club is doing to help members with seating in that stand get alternative such as the Ablett Terrace standing room area for the coming season? I'm guessing anybody wanting to walk in off the street this year won't have a hope in hell of getting in and finding standing room.

As of last Friday, the stand was still standing. Don't know if they've started taking the seats out though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting today according to a story in todays Addy

there's a story on the GFC site about the work starting
http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/127896/default.aspx

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but word is Kane Constructions will be getting the job, as they did with the Hickey stand (some family of mine work in the construction industry and have heard this). What's the capacity supposed to be once it is finished, and when exactly is the expected completion date (heard it was in May next year sometime but not sure)?
I really think once it is completed, we should be receiving at least 8-9 home games at KP from 2013 (9-10 would be ideal IMO), and once the final (stage 4) redevelopment is finished, home finals in Weeks 1/2 against interstaters should not be out of the question. Would also be nice to see Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon play here again in the near future (correct me if I'm wrong but the Pies haven't played here in over a decade, and the Dons/Blues haven't played here since the mid 90's).

(correct me if I'm wrong but the Pies haven't played here in over a decade, and the Dons/Blues haven't played here since the mid 90's).

Correct. We last played Essendon at Skilled in 1993, Carlton in 1997 and Collingwood in 1999.

We last played Essendon at Skilled in 1993

^LOL, find it hard to believe it has been almost two decades since we played the Bombers at Kardinia Park (now that you mention it, I remember standing behind the northern goals that day, it was absolutely chockers and I reckon there probably would've been 30k there. BTW it was Round 21 1993, to be exact). I'd rather play them down here any day of the week than at Telstra/Etihad/Colonial/whatever it's called now Dome.
Whilst we're mentioning this, I can see Hawthorn (depending on how long they stay up for) and St. Kilda playing here again once the new stand is completed. As for Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon playing at KP again, it could be a possibility IMO once the new stand is finished, but I'm not too sure Vlad and his current administration would be too happy about it. Just goes to show the blatant inequity in the draw. :thumbsdown:

^LOL, find it hard to believe it has been almost two decades since we played the Bombers at Kardinia Park (now that you mention it, I remember standing behind the northern goals that day, it was absolutely chockers and I reckon there probably would've been 30k there. BTW it was Round 21 1993, to be exact). I'd rather play them down here any day of the week than at Telstra/Etihad/Colonial/whatever it's called now Dome.
Whilst we're mentioning this, I can see Hawthorn (depending on how long they stay up for) and St. Kilda playing here again once the new stand is completed. As for Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon playing at KP again, it could be a possibility IMO once the new stand is finished, but I'm not too sure Vlad and his current administration would be too happy about it. Just goes to show the blatant inequity in the draw. :thumbsdown:

I don't know about Hawthorn playing down here once the new stand is finished, considering we regularly draw 60,000 plus at the MCG, which is probably just as well. We get enough excuses out of Hawks fans when we beat them, without them being able to add "we'd have beaten you if the game was at the MCG instead of at your home ground" to the list.

I can see the Saints having to make the trip down the highway again soon though.

I don't know about Hawthorn playing down here once the new stand is finished, considering we regularly draw 60,000 plus at the MCG, which is probably just as well. We get enough excuses out of Hawks fans when we beat them, without them being able to add "we'd have beaten you if the game was at the MCG instead of at your home ground" to the list.

I can see the Saints having to make the trip down the highway again soon though.

Will be interesting to see if this is the case. Whilst we do typically play the Hawks at the MCG when we are both top 8 sides and can draw 50k+ there, I believe that once Hawthorn are a bottom 8 side we will begin playing them at Kardinia Park/Etihad again. From memory the AFL were actually going to give us Hawthorn or Carlton as an 8th game here back in 2010 (changed it at the eleventh hour before the fixture was released from my understanding), so I wouldn't rule it out, particularly if the club requested it. Agree with you on St. Kilda though.
Would be awesome if we could play one of the Pies/Dons/Blues at KP every now and then or even just as a once off. :thumbsu:

DEMOLITION works on Simonds Stadium's Doug Wade Stand started yesterday after the State Government confirmed extra funding for the project on the weekend.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/01/17/302141_news.html

DOUGWADEST_RIGHT_IMAGE_IA054857_135853.JPG

Last 20 seasons - 1992-2011
Matches v Geelong at Kardinia Park and last season played there.

(Scheduled to play there in 2012)

Code:
West Coast    17   2010       
[COLOR=Red][B]Melbourne[/B][/COLOR]     15   2011       
[COLOR=Black]Brisbane[/COLOR]      15   2010       
[COLOR=Red][B]Adelaide [/B][/COLOR]     14   2011       
Nth Melbourne 13   2011       
[COLOR=Red][B]WB/Footscra[/B][/COLOR]y  13   2011       
[COLOR=Red][B]Sydney [/B][/COLOR]       13   2011       
St Kilda      12   2004       
[COLOR=Red][B]Richmond[/B][/COLOR]      12   2010       
Fremantle     12   2009       
[B][COLOR=Red]Port Adelaide[/COLOR][/B] 11   2011 
Hawthorn       9   2006       
Fitzroy        3   1995       
Collingwood    2   1999 
Carlton        2   1997 
Gold Coast     1   2011 
Essendon       1   1993
[B][COLOR=Red]GWS Giants[/COLOR][/B]     0
Essendon never cared much for traveling to Geelong to play. In the hope of avoiding it forever they voted against Geelong's re-admission to the League in 1944. They had to play there 36 times from 1944 to 1986 - three fewer times than the team with the most visits in the period St Kilda (39), but three more than the least - Richmond with 33 matches.

Last 20 seasons - 1992-2011
Matches v Geelong at Kardinia Park and last season played there.

(Scheduled to play there in 2012)

Code:
West Coast    17   2010       
[COLOR=Red][B]Melbourne[/B][/COLOR]     15   2011       
[COLOR=Black]Brisbane[/COLOR]      15   2010       
[COLOR=Red][B]Adelaide [/B][/COLOR]     14   2011       
Nth Melbourne 13   2011       
[COLOR=Red][B]WB/Footscra[/B][/COLOR]y  13   2011       
[COLOR=Red][B]Sydney [/B][/COLOR]       13   2011       
St Kilda      12   2004       
[COLOR=Red][B]Richmond[/B][/COLOR]      12   2010       
Fremantle     12   2009       
[B][COLOR=Red]Port Adelaide[/COLOR][/B] 11   2011 
Hawthorn       9   2006       
Fitzroy        3   1995       
Collingwood    2   1999 
Carlton        2   1997 
Gold Coast     1   2011 
Essendon       1   1993
[B][COLOR=Red]GWS Giants[/COLOR][/B]     0
Essendon never cared much for traveling to Geelong to play. In the hope of avoiding it forever they voted against Geelong's re-admission to the League in 1944. They had to play there 36 times from 1944 to 1986 - three fewer times than the team with the most visits in the period St Kilda (39), but three more than the least - Richmond with 33 matches.

Essendon probably no longer play here due to the fact the fixture is manipulated to ensure 'big' clubs such as the Bombers (and Collingwood of course) get a cushy ride and as many blockbuster fixtures as possible. They are both advantaged to the extent they get to play us at a soft neutral venue such as Etihad rather than at Kardinia where we would have the home ground advantage. As I've mentioned, think it is a little unfair that Melbourne/North/Richmond etc. have to travel here almost every year yet the Pies/Dons/Blues never do, already been into this in some of my earlier posts anyway and don't need to elaborate on it. Can't happen forever though and think this could (and hope it will) possibly change soon.
On topic, I wonder where the cheer squad and seat holders in the Wade stand will be seated for next year? My guess is the CS will sit in the Ablett Terrace where they used to many years ago, will be interesting to see where the seat holders get placed though. Also interesting that they're demolishing the Peter Street Stand too (the Addy article several posts ago mentions it).

R.I.P my seat :eek:
Looks like it was one of the first to go

I wonder if the club will be selling the timber from the bench seating? An artist on the Mornington Peninsula (I think) turned the old MCG bench seating into interesting furniture, like dining tables, complete with seat numbering still intact. Could be a good fund raiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back