List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
because it does matter unfortunately when you are a KPP. thats why your KPP are taller, first hands to the footy. unless you have a leap, which frawley clearly does not

otherwise simpkin would be better in the air. mayne would be a dominant KPP. lecras would be an amazing FF

its happened since as far back as you can go, with few exceptions. dont see it changing anytime soon
Premiership contenders generally contain one of two KF's who is very capable in the air..Frawley is more of a lead up/link in the chain 3rd/4th forward..But as a backman,he's proven over time he can mix it with the best no matter their height. If Gwilt & Geary were both to leave, his value to our list would surely increase..The club would be in his manager's ear with another 17 clubs..If he was to turn around to the club & said he wants in..
I'd welcome him with both arms..He'd slot in nicely into our best 18 as a forward or a defender..

Chris Pelchen Oct 11 2013:

We have deliberately re-positioned our TPP model over the past 24 months from an extremely defensive (ie. constrained) position to a more balanced position in 2014/15 that will then allow us to aggressively pursue Free Agent players from 2016 onwards.

There is no way that Pelchen didn't have a rough idea of who the possible FA's were when he made this statement. While no plan should be set in concrete, I have seen nothing to indicate that this plan has changed. In fact Richo and Pelchen have both said since then that this is still the aim.

We are not in this rebuild to improve our short term performance. If we need a key back or key forward we will go to the draft to find one and try to develop one ourselves. If by 2016 we don't have a key part of our list then we will use free agency and trades to fill those holes. This should allow more money to be targeted at FA's in positions that we need them in.

On top of that, taking Frawley this year would reduce the pool of cash we would have to target one of the GWS talls if (big if) they do want to come home. I'd prefer us to overspend on a young key forward than an older key back.

but it comes into the discussion on frawley. you dont spend 700k on a player that will be 3rd/4th string by 2018.

to say we should cut delaney now because he's 1 cm taller than frawley is hilarious and narrow minded.

i'd also argue thats why we got bruce!!!! IMO delaney was seen as the cheap transition player, whilst bruce and who ever else we get develops. i dont think we seriously expect delaney to be taking the best fwd in 2018/2020
Certainly size & length of the contract is part of the equation..Bruce has the scope to become a major cog with his durability..Throw in Frawley, Stanley, Delaney, Lee..?, White..?? all of a sudden we're building depth & versatility to our spine..Roo & Chips will squeeze another year..Might we view Frawley as quality insurance, if Lee & white don't come on..Could influence the club to draft Petracca this year, with a gentleman's agreement with one of the GWS trio to come across next year.. It's too easy this list management caper..:rolleyes:

There is no way that Pelchen didn't have a rough idea of who the possible FA's were when he made this statement. While no plan should be set in concrete, I have seen nothing to indicate that this plan has changed. In fact Richo and Pelchen have both said since then that this is still the aim.

We are not in this rebuild to improve our short term performance. If we need a key back or key forward we will go to the draft to find one and try to develop one ourselves. If by 2016 we don't have a key part of our list then we will use free agency and trades to fill those holes. This should allow more money to be targeted at FA's in positions that we need them in.

On top of that, taking Frawley this year would reduce the pool of cash we would have to target one of the GWS talls if (big if) they do want to come home. I'd prefer us to overspend on a young key forward than an older key back.
Build with the youngsters is the way i hope we continue going, no short cuts.

He also confirmed that they may move Jarryd Lyons for the right price....since there has been some interest and they have similar mids and hence he is not getting a game...asked me what can we dish up for him and I said maybe a 3rd rounder...
Lyons a local (Sandy) boy. Bloody quick.

1. Frawley is not worth the money he is asking but may get it from a club close to a flag desperate for a key backman
2. Frawley is only 25 but by 2020 he will be 31, not an ideal age. I'm not saying we should trade away all our 25 year olds but we shouldn't be forking out big dollars to get them here just yet.
3. We are much better off spending our cash on a key forward or even another mid then a key backman.

Bloody quick, serious? he is slow from what i've seen.. Even Brenton Sanderson said he is slowish.
Might be a case of mistaken identity... I've read a few things mentioning his speed.

"Try to develop one ourselves"....Heyne, Ledger, Lynch, Walsh, Crocker, Miles, Archer, Andreolli, Gaertner, Smith, Johnson, Lever, Allen*, Sweeney, Howard, Hutchings, Attard.....etc, etc...

Not the best track record over the last 5 or so years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Try to develop one ourselves"....Heyne, Ledger, Lynch, Walsh, Crocker, Miles, Archer, Andreolli, Gaertner, Smith, Johnson, Lever, Allen*, Sweeney, Howard, Hutchings, Attard.....etc, etc...

So only one of them drafted under Pelchen and Bains.. Why not mention the ones that we have had since Pelch + Bains that ARE developing nicely?

I agree, I think Frawley is a pretty good player and would fit into pretty much any team in the league very nicely. But he does not suit the position we find ourselves in at all. It would go against everything the club has indicated it would do and for me it would be a fairly worrying sign that the club isn't as sure about its plans as it should be.

One thing that I do find interesting is that when Fyfe was coming out of contract it was mentioned that a Vic club offered him a 7 year deal. I have no inside info on this, but I would not be surprised if it was us. I think we knew that he would say no, but that we just wanted to plant the seed that might turn into a deal later on. I would have put the deal on the table and said: "Think about this before you go signing a long contract with Freo. You can sign a shorter one with them, have a shot at a flag or two, and then when that window is closed we will be waiting with open arms and lots of cash." Fyfe only signed a deal until the end of 2017, which happens to be when he is first up as a FA and also when we should be just starting our flag window. It also would have put upward pressure on Freo's cap space in the mean time which might be a bit uncomfortable for them.

While this is clearly just speculation, it is the type of stuff that I think we need to be doing to lay the foundations for our next flag tilt. It is the same reason why I think that if we are talking to Frawley it is purely to bump up his price.

You can take your tinfoil hats off now.

I cant say I agree with this view anymore I think the whole landscape of recruiting has changed in the last couple years an when sydney flog the next best team by 10 goals in the granny this year. Well, were gona see bigger moves. Bigger contracts. Ruthless. Get em while u can type attitude from clubs.
And clubs are starting to realize that they have to be active in future to be able to compete with the other teams that regularly attract big names and remain at the top every year. Is it any wonder its generally the same big clubs at the top every year. The same clubs that are always going after big name trades.
I wouldnt be surprised if the afl brought in a mid season trade period. This is the way the comp is going.

I'm more than happy to back our new recruitment and development systems to get the job done over relying on other clubs to do the work for us. If we have holes that need filling we can use free agency from 2016 onwards.

I'm more than happy to back our new recruitment and development systems to get the job done over relying on other clubs to do the work for us. If we have holes that need filling we can use free agency from 2016 onwards.
I don't mind going after the young guys who are decent and want some game time like we did last off season, no problem with that or obviously just a gun that we want eg, Patton, Mitchell etc.. FA though next year are some beauty's but if not i agree 2016 and beyond.

Thinks very highly of himself Higgins..

His mum, is still my sister's best mate from the old St.Peter's days..
Bevo will be right into him, if we have any interest..
Would be in our best 22, if he was on our list this year..

Hardly played a bad game..

Jarryd Lyons
2014 Digest
:
Midfield type who has shown incremental improvement since arriving in 2011. Returned nine games last season, including 20-plus possession efforts against North and Fremantle. Adds depth to the midfield while trying to wrest a spot from the incumbents.

2014 NAB Cup: Round 1 looks a distinct possibility after three steady performances highlighted by 15 disposals and a goal last week v GWS.

2014 Season

1 Geel Sub. On late third term and grabbed nine disposals. Cats dominated last term.2
2 PM Chipped in with two goals in trial loss.-
3 SANFL Boosted recall hopes with 24 touches, 10 marks and a goal.-
4 SANFL Super-busy in the midfield, 28 disposals, 11 clearances.-
5 SANFL Outstanding with two majors and 14 clearances.-
6 Senior emergency.
7 SANFL Superb with 12 clearances, 32 touches and a late goal.-
8 SANFL Again influential in the clinches, eight clearances.-
9 SANFL Clear standout in losing cause, 34 possessions, three goals.-
10 Carl Sub. Ran hard when thrown in late but disposal let him down a little.2
11 GCS Has settled in well after great form in the SANFL.6
12 Frem Willingness to go for tackles, but not a big impact.3
13 Senior emergency.
14 Ess The sub. Played the second half and ran really hard.4
15 Port Started as the sub and saw limited game time in the fourth term.3
16 SANFL Strong midfield performer with 22 possessions.-
17 SANFL Kicked two goals and was a key midfield contributor in win.-

http://aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116567/Jarryd-LYONS

Hardly played a bad game..

Jarryd Lyons
2014 Digest
:
Midfield type who has shown incremental improvement since arriving in 2011. Returned nine games last season, including 20-plus possession efforts against North and Fremantle. Adds depth to the midfield while trying to wrest a spot from the incumbents.

2014 NAB Cup: Round 1 looks a distinct possibility after three steady performances highlighted by 15 disposals and a goal last week v GWS.

2014 Season

1 Geel Sub. On late third term and grabbed nine disposals. Cats dominated last term.2
2 PM Chipped in with two goals in trial loss.-
3 SANFL Boosted recall hopes with 24 touches, 10 marks and a goal.-
4 SANFL Super-busy in the midfield, 28 disposals, 11 clearances.-
5 SANFL Outstanding with two majors and 14 clearances.-
6 Senior emergency.
7 SANFL Superb with 12 clearances, 32 touches and a late goal.-
8 SANFL Again influential in the clinches, eight clearances.-
9 SANFL Clear standout in losing cause, 34 possessions, three goals.-
10 Carl Sub. Ran hard when thrown in late but disposal let him down a little.2
11 GCS Has settled in well after great form in the SANFL.6
12 Frem Willingness to go for tackles, but not a big impact.3
13 Senior emergency.
14 Ess The sub. Played the second half and ran really hard.4
15 Port Started as the sub and saw limited game time in the fourth term.3
16 SANFL Strong midfield performer with 22 possessions.-
17 SANFL Kicked two goals and was a key midfield contributor in win.-

http://aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116567/Jarryd-LYONS

Which player is most likely to look at himself in the mirror after a weights session?
Grigg

Who would you least like to pair up with in the boxing ring during training?
Eddie Betts

Who would you like to have kicking for goal after the siren if you are three points down in a Grand Final?
Porps

Which teammate is most likely to be invited to the coach’s place for dinner
Sloane

If you could draft any player into your team, who would it be?
LeBron James

If you had the power, what is one thing you would change about the world?
Global warming

Outside of footy, what would be your dream job?
Professional Golfer

If you could appear on any reality show, which one would you choose?
Survivor

Who has the best taste in music at the club and why?
Porps – loves the classics

Who has the worst and why?
Charlie Cameron

What meal is your speciality to cook?
Beef stroganoff

What is your favourite TV football show?
Before The Game

Who is the best-dressed teammate at the club?
Shaw

Who is the worst dressed?
Siggins

Who is the most skilful all-round sportsman at the club?
Porps

What is your favourite way to spend a day off?
Sleep in, game of golf, beach, dinner, bed

Who was your childhood celebrity crush?
Rachael Bilson

Which of your teammates fancies himself as a celebrity?
Dangerfield

Who is your funniest teammate at the club and why?
Jaensch, always taking the piss

Which teammate is the most likely to tweet a comment while watching a game at home?
Dangerfield

Which teammate would struggle to turn a computer on?
Brad Crouch

Which teammate is most likely to take a ‘selfie’ and post it on Facebook?
Grigg

As the season has progressed, every player we've brought in from other clubs last year, has eventually met the club's expectation..Longer & Savage needed to a clip, but it was a necessity..Both have increased their output in recent weeks, with Savage in career best form..Still early days, but last year's draft/trading period appears to have been a success. They've done a great job our recruiting department, & I'm comfortable backing them.. My gut tells me, we're going to pull off a major coup this year..
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" is where the money is heading....

Last edited:
I don't mind going after the young guys who are decent and want some game time like we did last off season, no problem with that or obviously just a gun that we want eg, Patton, Mitchell etc.. FA though next year are some beauty's but if not i agree 2016 and beyond.

Yeah, except for Delaney all the players we traded for last year fit our age profile perfectly. Delaney would be the exception to the rule cause even if he is a bit older than we would have liked, he filled a massive hole and was pretty much free. Frawley might fill a hole we have but he is just outside the age range and wont be cheap enough to offset that. I just don't see it happening.

As the season has progressed, every player we brought in from other clubs last year eventually is meeting the club's expectation..Longer & Savage needed to a clip, but was a necessity..Both have increased their output in recent weeks, with Savage in career best form..Still early days, but last year's draft/trading period appears to have been a success..

I wasn't saying we should avoid those types of players. They have all been great and are all easily worth more than what we paid for them, but we need to be able to develop talent ourselves and we need to back ourselves to do the job. If we can get a player via a trade or as a delisted FA that will improve the state of our list then we should do it (if the price is right), but to rely on it would be making a HUGE mistake.

I agree, I think Frawley is a pretty good player and would fit into pretty much any team in the league very nicely. But he does not suit the position we find ourselves in at all. It would go against everything the club has indicated it would do and for me it would be a fairly worrying sign that the club isn't as sure about its plans as it should be.

One thing that I do find interesting is that when Fyfe was coming out of contract it was mentioned that a Vic club offered him a 7 year deal. I have no inside info on this, but I would not be surprised if it was us. I think we knew that he would say no, but that we just wanted to plant the seed that might turn into a deal later on. I would have put the deal on the table and said: "Think about this before you go signing a long contract with Freo. You can sign a shorter one with them, have a shot at a flag or two, and then when that window is closed we will be waiting with open arms and lots of cash." Fyfe only signed a deal until the end of 2017, which happens to be when he is first up as a FA and also when we should be just starting our flag window. It also would have put upward pressure on Freo's cap space in the mean time which might be a bit uncomfortable for them.

While this is clearly just speculation, it is the type of stuff that I think we need to be doing to lay the foundations for our next flag tilt. It is the same reason why I think that if we are talking to Frawley it is purely to bump up his price.

You can take your tinfoil hats off now.
Like like like. This is the way we should be going about it for now IMO. Make sure we get those top 3 draft picks in and not sacrifice that by bringing in FA's now and run the risk of moving out of that range. Then once we've loaded up on young talent and start resembling the 2003 Saints top up with a 26/27 year old superstar in their prime Shaun Burgoyne/Buddy Franklin style and go for it. Either that or use it to fill a hole. 10 year deal, 15 year deal I don't care just get it done and get us a flag. :thumbsu:

There you go Pelchen, easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back