News Stadium: The NEW Home of Football in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

New station design snappies filtering through.
10998007_969219163090244_560520281458763808_o.jpg

10989237_969219179756909_7861149561299732179_n.jpg

Not sure about the colours etc - looking like a desert.

Bit of grass wouldn't go astray

I wonder if somebody has taken into account the direction of the prevailing weather during winter when deciding where to situate the station. It looks like it could be a massive wind tunnel.

The one good thing you can say about the WAFC financial model is that it does deliver a fair chunk to the legitimate grassroots, unlike the equivalent situation in SA where the money seems to go to SANFL clubs for the purpose of paying ex-AFL hacks big dollars.

Can't see how they can be seriously considered though, given the awful job they've done with Subi and the fact taxpayers are picking up the bill. They'll simply need to find another model that doesn't base itself around extorting the AFL clubs and their supporters.

The one good thing you can say about the WAFC financial model is that it does deliver a fair chunk to the legitimate grassroots, unlike the equivalent situation in SA where the money seems to go to SANFL clubs for the purpose of paying ex-AFL hacks big dollars.

Can't see how they can be seriously considered though, given the awful job they've done with Subi and the fact taxpayers are picking up the bill. They'll simply need to find another model that doesn't base itself around extorting the AFL clubs and their supporters.

What are they doing that's so awful? The problem at Subi is the infrastructure, not the management of the venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the money they make off of the eagles and Dockers that they "Give back to grassroots footy" they haven't been able to pay back their loans and keep getting debt relief from the government.

That doesnt mean they're a poor venue manager though.

Not suggesting they're great at it either, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they've been terrible.

I don't think the One Direction pitch debacle did themselves (or the Eagles) any favours either.

Can't understand why Subi still hosts concerts (money would be about the only thing I can think of), we've got an excellent venue in the city, alright it's a lot smaller capacity wise but it's a much more comfortable place to spend an evening rocking out. Or whatever it is pre-teen girls do at One Direction concerts.

Gotta say, every time I head out to lunch at work I gaze across the river and notice the site. Every time I just think how magnificent it will be and as a whole, I just think about footy, yes its 3yrs away - but it has me thinking about this year and the Dockers too! The power of a construction site :)

20141211_135339.jpg

A busy site this avo so a pic of the progress so far...
stadia-mar-2015.jpg

Week old, but thought add the latest re: construction progress:

"9 March 2015
Construction on the new Perth Stadium site is progressing well with over 450 piles installed.

Piles are being installed at a rate of approximately 22 per day by three piling rigs ensuring construction contractor, Brookfield Multiplex, is well on track to complete piling works by the end of 2015.

Ground improvement work on the Swan River Pedestrian Bridge landing area and the Community Oval reached a successful conclusion in February. This was achieved using dynamic compaction, in which a large weight is dropped repetitively in a grid pattern to collapse any voids in the soil.

The installation of sheet piling to retain the ground between the river fed lake and Stadium site is also complete.

Works will now focus on the installation of the structural core with the first of eight tower cranes soon to be visible on site to assist with the works."

Interesting articles in today's (Monday's) West.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/26765056/government-stays-quiet-on-operator-bids/

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/26765119/secrecy-clouds-stadium-plans/

"The Government has agreed to pay the consortium 60 per cent of the $902 million capital costs of the stadium and the surrounding sports precinct in monthly payments until the stadium is finished in early 2018, though the exact value of these payments and their timing is not disclosed.
During the 25-year operating phase, the Government will make a "monthly service payment" that covers the remaining 40 per cent of the construction cost, interest and maintenance costs.
The value of these payments is not disclosed.
In a "project summary" document released by Treasury, it is claimed that getting the consortium to build, part-finance and maintain the stadium will save taxpayers 21 per cent (or $324 million in current dollar terms) over 25 years, compared with the Government doing the job itself.
But there is zero financial information provided that underpins the claim, making it impossible to assess independently."

I'm looking forward to sitting in that stadium, but am getting wary as to the cost to taxpayers and to sport watchers in Western Australia. There is a real possibility that the cost of going to the footy will multiply over what it is currently.
I just hope that the stadium isn't run by someone of the ilk of Ian Collins.

Some official Station tender news.
"Construction of the train station at the new Perth Stadium site will begin within months with the announcement that Laing O'Rourke and AECOM have been selected to build the infrastructure."
more at source...

And a time lapse vid is up of the station works ;)

you guys are my second team & I hate west coast
I'm watching the canaries vs Blues game now & looking at the interchange gates, I reckon you guys have your changerooms better situated than the other hometeam.
surely it must be less than ideal for them to go all the way around the boundary to their rooms from the interchange bench.
maybe you want to make sure your new ground has you in a similarly good position
not sure if anybody else noticed this, as I haven't gone through the whole thread

you guys are my second team & I hate west coast
I'm watching the canaries vs Blues game now & looking at the interchange gates, I reckon you guys have your changerooms better situated than the other hometeam.
surely it must be less than ideal for them to go all the way around the boundary to their rooms from the interchange bench.
maybe you want to make sure your new ground has you in a similarly good position
not sure if anybody else noticed this, as I haven't gone through the whole thread

It was already decided earlier last month in a coin toss... I think the Eagles won it (first thing they've won against Freo since 2012)

This has no doubt already been discussed in this thread, but does anyone know what the dimensions of the new stadium will be? More like the mcg or sticking with the Subi long and narrow style?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back