Official Club Stuff Taylor Hunt - Round 1 Debut

Is Taylor Hunt a good fit for RFC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll start by saying that I like the strategy of rookie listing mature-aged, delisted free agents. Richmond obviously is not Hawthorn, and we need to find our own recruiting strategy. I think recruiting has been going better than it has for 3 decades, but we still haven't won a final in a long time.

Simpkin I'll pay as an example of Hawthorn rookie listing a mature-aged, delisted free agent, but Ceglar was 21 when the Hawks picked him up. I certainly wouldn't call myself mature-aged at 21. Besides, neither were in the premiership 22.

It is interesting to look at what successful clubs do. Hawthorn had 10 out of 22 from their 2014 premiership team that I'd call substantially developed at Hawthorn. Geelong in the recent glory years had a powerful development machine. Sydney, maybe less so, with more success from recycling players.

I think it's time for Richmond to put more emphasis on development, less on hoping for a great year from a recycled player, playing for pride after getting dropped.

But I would take Taylor Hunt.

First off let me say I found this an extremely good post. It is hard not to agree with your argument (mostly because I agreed with the majority of points before hand).

I think the one take away is that there are many ways to skin a cat, Geelong was renowned for developing their own and not necessarily devaluing trade time, but certainly not being as active as most. They have become one of the great teams of the last 10 years on the back of this.

The Swans on the other hand seem to have gone the other way. Their premiership winning teams (so we can leave out Buddy and Tippett) held the likes of Kennedy, McGlynn, Ted Richards, Rhys Shaw, Marty Mattner and Shane Mumford were all non-Sydney originals. You can also go further back and include Jolly, Nick Davis and Jason Ball. But in saying that, they've been able to do that as I believe their core players who are for the most part home-grown, have been very very good.

The Hawks seem to take the best of both worlds. Guys like Gibson, Hale, Spangher, Simpkin, Ceglar have all been picked up from other clubs and have played their best footy at the Hawks. But their development of players (Puopolo, Bruest, Langford etc) has been probably the best in the AFL over the last 5 odd years.

I personally think that Richmond, going through heavily compromised drafts has got to be closer to the Hawks at this stage than the other two examples. I think that Hunt could possible fill the bill.

There have been others (e.g. TigerImposter ) have been continually talking about not continually recruiting 'd-grade' mature talent at the sake of younger players. The argument is an interesting one, and those who make it do make great points. I am perfectly okay with it if, at the end of the day it brings us closer to a premiership. If that means we pick up Hunt, and axe another 'd-grader' next season because Hunt can play a role (tagger, defensive back etc) I will be perfectly okay with that.

If other teams can cut some decent deals why can't we?
The last two years have been staggering
I wouldn't have carried on if we didn't get the war chest big name propaganda followed by the chasing of all the list cloggers. This is the rhetoric I hate followed by when they duck up players holding their third leg crying ," we're hurting ohhhhh my heart bleeds so much .it won't happen again"
GTFO and work your arses off from Benny to the gardener and put the 40 million into a successful venture rather than spin and tears
I'm armed today and fully ready for the mob mentality;)
Say this next year when we have Dylan shiel until then can you tone down the constant whining, is that a possibility at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel free to do so:cool:

Ok, what exactly is your problem with the club, what could it have done or do better, i don't honestly understand where you are coming from half the time, its like you think the club sits on its hands half the time and isn't doing all it can to succeed, i mean why would you even think this?

Straight out bang go don't * around. Because it pisses me off personally but more so because it seems totally miss guided other than frustrated rantings which most of us have done but admit to in the end.

Straight out bang go don't **** around. Because it pisses me off personally but more so because it seems totally miss guided other than frustrated rantings which most of us have done but admit to in the end.
Take it to a PM guys, noone else wants to read more crap.

Wasn't Morris being universally praised last season and touted as one of the best lockdown small defenders in the game?
People forget that far back, they also forget he played with 1 arm and under duress for the entire 2014 season. He conceded the least amount of goals in 2013 with the exception of only Enright I think from memory.

The argument is an interesting one, and those who make it do make great points. I am perfectly okay with it if, at the end of the day it brings us closer to a premiership. If that means we pick up Hunt, and axe another 'd-grader' next season because Hunt can play a role (tagger, defensive back etc) I will be perfectly okay with that.

:thumbsu: I agree.

The argument really is an interesting one - recruit and develop kids or trade in known quantities?

Some of the posters on here have a philosophical view that Richmond should do it only one way, and one way only. I suspect that's mostly based on a perception that our recent strategy has only lifted us from ninth-ish to eighth-ish. I can see their frustration. There are also posters who take the opposite view, maybe because they like to argue, and I find it pretty funny watching the two groups chucking s**t at each other.

Wasn't Morris being universally praised last season and touted as one of the best lockdown small defenders in the game?

He is a very very good player, even this year playing with 1 arm managed to have another good year, people dont rate him because they just look at stats and judge blokes on kicking errors, he does a whole lot more good than he does bad, get his arm right and he will get back to being a gun

Back