Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just trolling around the other teams boards and noticed a lot of them have threads with "XXX team only" (where XXX is their own teams name)

I'm not aware we have these types of threads.

Its funny but they are happy to pop over to us for a troll but get sand in their vagina if opposition supporters dare to visit their threads o_O

I was just trolling around the other teams boards and noticed a lot of them have threads with "XXX team only" (where XXX is their own teams name)

I'm not aware we have these types of threads.

Its funny but they are happy to pop over to us for a troll but get sand in their vagina if opposition supporters dare to visit their threads o_O
Yeah, Crows fans like to accuse our mods of being ban happy, but their board is like half the other teams boards having thread(s) clearly labelled as insular. Even during our darkest days from 2008 - 2012 we didn't go that route. Bunch of soft flogs half the teams supporters here.

dn0i9d.jpg

Even if you take their griping at face-value and don't assume there's a fair slather of groupthink embellishment from a couple of tired, embarrassed, angry, backsidepained Tiggers fans, the ridiculous tarring of an entire ground's worth of fans because of the actions of a tiny minority is insane.

I'm sure win or lose there'll be some horror stories from Subiaco this week pertaining to big bad Freo/Port supporters who revived Hitler's corpse and laughed as Führerzombie feasted on a hapless virgin's delicious brains.
Looser..ffs. Paging natural selection.

No doubt one of those "this will look great!" moments without any awareness of historical context.
What historical context? It is NOT a flag of racism, it is the battle flag of a rebellion. I'd be the first to go nuts at a racist flag, that one certainly is not. No more than a Union Jack or an ensign can be considered racist because the far right tried to own it.

Now a swastika or an iron cross on the other hand is clearly inflammatory.

What historical context? It is NOT a flag of racism, it is the battle flag of a rebellion. I'd be the first to go nuts at a racist flag, that one certainly is not. No more than a Union Jack or an ensign can be considered racist because the far right tried to own it.

Even in teal?

I was referring to the Dukes of Hazzard. What a horrible show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must of missed where tribey said it was racist. o_O

The fact that you assumed that that was his point shows what a symbol of racism it is.

I must of missed where tribey said it was racist. o_O

The fact that you assumed that that was his point shows what a symbol of racism it is.
No it doesn't it shows that I am aware that some consider it racist even though it's not. If that's not he was inferring then the comment makes no sense.

No it doesn't it shows that I am aware that some consider it racist even though it's not. If that's not he was inferring then the comment makes no sense.
While pro-slavery states versus abolitionists states was not the only reason for the Confederate States seceding from the Union it was a significant reason. This is why a large number of people outside the south eastern USA, excluding yourself, associate the Confederate flag with racism.

It's not that 'it's racist'. My 'historical context' call was in regards to the fact it was the battle flag/part of the national flag of the Confederate states who fought to maintain their largely agrarian economy predicated on slave labour and their opposition to the latter's abolition. Some southern states still fly it today and it can be a bone of contention, etc.

I'm not inferring or implying anything other than that and I'm 99% sure the person who had it made and flies it would be oblivious to that fact and would associate it more with a motor vehicle from a camp 80's action-comedy.

It's not that 'it's racist'. My 'historical context' call was in regards to the fact it was the battle flag/part of the national flag of the Confederate states who fought to maintain their largely agrarian economy predicated on slave labour and their opposition to the latter's abolition. Some southern states still fly it today and it can be a bone of contention, etc.

I'm not inferring or implying anything other than that and I'm 99% sure the person who had it made and flies it would be oblivious to that fact and would associate it more with a motor vehicle from a camp 80's action-comedy.

Then why would it be a bone of contention in Australia? Your description then puts it akin to an Irish flag or a Eureka stockade flag.

You will also know then that the emancipation proclamation was a military move used to garnish the slaves moving from the south and legally retain the 'property' that had moved north.
The war was not about slavery but economy, Lincoln even stated on a number of occasions that he had “no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with slavery in the States where it exists". The war eventually become about slavery as a political expediency for the north (due to southern reliance on it). The North were struggling and saw a way to drain the south economically and increase their own military strength by allowing black militia to be formed.

Even as late as 1862 Lincoln claimed that “paramount object in the struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy slavery.” The war began in 1861 and the proclamation was made in Jan 1863.

Now the FLAG...is not actually the flag of the confederacy but a battle flag, the saltire was used so as not to alienate jews (the original design was a regular St. George latin type cross). Now, the reason it is still used in some southern states is that as a battle flag one had to swear to NEVER SURRENDER it, it therefore has become a symbol of southern independence.

My issue with this is that flags too often get hijacked by far right idiots (like the union jack and the attempt by some to claim the blue ensign), this should not be allowed as it takes very strong symbols out of their historic context and gifts them a strength and legitimacy they do not deserve. The flag the guy at the footy is flying should not be tarnished with such implications, though knowing my luck he will turn out to be a raving fascist!

Chiwigi - former communist party member, bloke with a black mother :)

TLDR; SEMIOTICS ARE IMPORTANT, DON'T LET THE RACISTS (or Eddie McGuire) TAKE ALL THE COOL ONES.

Last edited:
Then why would it be a bone of contention in Australia? Your description then puts it akin to an Irish flag or a Eureka stockade flag.

You will also know then that the emancipation proclamation was a military move used to garnish the slaves moving from the south and legally retain the 'property' that had moved north.
The war was not about slavery but economy, Lincoln even stated on a number of occasions that he had “no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with slavery in the States where it exists". The war eventually become about slavery as a political expediency for the north (due to southern reliance on it). The North were struggling and saw a way to drain the south economically and increase their own military strength by allowing black militia to be formed.

Even as late as 1862 Lincoln claimed that “paramount object in the struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy slavery.” The war began in 1861 and the proclamation was made in Jan 1863.

Now the FLAG...is not actually the flag of the confederacy but a battle flag, the saltire was used so as not to alienate jews (the original design was a regular St. George latin type cross). Now, the reason it is still used in some southern states is that as a battle flag one had to swear to NEVER SURRENDER it, it therefore has become a symbol of southern independence.

My issue with this is that flags too often get hijacked by far right idiots (like the union jack and the attempt by some to claim the blue ensign), this should not be allowed as it takes very strong symbols out of their historic context and gifts them a strength and legitimacy they do not deserve. The flag the guy at the footy is flying should not be tarnished with such implications, though knowing my luck he will turn out to be a raving fascist!

Chiwigi - former communist party member, bloke with a black mother :)

TLDR; SEMIOTICS ARE IMPORTANT, DON'T LET THE RACISTS (or Eddie McGuire) TAKE ALL THE COOL ONES.

That escalated quickly.jpg

Technically we could do a reverse direction swastika in teal on white and it would be a hindu good luck symbol.

Don't think it would get a good response though.

Technically we could do a reverse direction swastika in teal on white and it would be a hindu good luck symbol.

Don't think it would get a good response though.

Teal ISIS flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back