The off topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't playing finals this season. Anyone that thinks so is a pinhead.

That's not to say we won't play well, we just have a far younger, inexperienced side this season.

I'm not so certain; I think we might surprise a few people. We won't challenge for the flag, but I'm not sure we're as bad as some people are making out.

For mine, we're one of about 10 teams that could, factoring in injury/luck etc., finish anywhere between 6th-15th.

We aren't playing finals this season. Anyone that thinks so is a pinhead.

That's not to say we won't play well, we just have a far younger, inexperienced side this season.
From where I sit, you could lose Murphy or Gibbs or Judd or Simpson or Walker and still be competitive.

The one player I don't think you can afford to be injured for the majority of the year is Henderson, otherwise a forward line with KPF consisting of Jones and Casboult isn't going to worry too many sides. Have all 3 alongside Menzel at their feet and you'll kick good scores, the task will be to concede less.

Think the KPD is a little weak but if the mids dominate clearances that can be covered somewhat.

I'm not so certain; I think we might surprise a few people. We won't challenge for the flag, but I'm not sure we're as bad as some people are making out.

For mine, we're one of about 10 teams that could, factoring in injury/luck etc., finish anywhere between 6th-15th.
Mate, your list isn't good enough to make finals. Gibbs would have to have a brownlow winning year for Carlton to be close. A good result would be 10th imo with a bad season being bottom 4.

Don't think we can hit 6th, nor do I think we'll be as low as 15th.

Our start to the season will really define how we go.

From where I sit, you could lose Murphy or Gibbs or Judd or Simpson or Walker and still be competitive.

The one player I don't think you can afford to be injured for the majority of the year is Henderson, otherwise a forward line with KPF consisting of Jones and Casboult isn't going to worry too many sides. Have all 3 alongside Menzel at their feet and you'll kick good scores, the task will be to concede less.

Think the KPD is a little weak but if the mids dominate clearances that can be covered somewhat.
Jaksch will prove to be a brilliant pick up. That gives us Rowe, Jamo and Jaksch down back with Simon White floating there if need be. Our KPD is actually looking stronger than it has in years.

I just want lots of games into guys like Cripps, jakch , menzel, boekhurst, smith, graham etc

And all I'm asking this year is for effort. The difference between our best and worst is incredibly large, so we need to be a lot more consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jaksch will prove to be a brilliant pick up. That gives us Rowe, Jamo and Jaksch down back with Simon White floating there if need be. Our KPD is actually looking stronger than it has in years.
Even so. KPD are measured on how they perform on the good key forwards.

You'd have to say they failed on Sunday and I'd be uncertain as to how they'd perform against the best in the business.

Jamison is a good, solid reliable defender but can get monstered by the gorilla forwards. Rowe is the good news story given what he's been through but appears to be a good honest trier who is capable of good performances.

Jaksch, well I can't comment on as I haven't seen him too much tbh. Wasn't he a forward at GWS? He'd be pretty inexperienced down back.

Still think losing Henderson would be the critical loss as you've got to be able to kick a winning score and Casboult and Jones alone wouldn't do that regularly and would then rely heavily on Menzel and mids goals.

Probably need a better ruck than Wood too. Warnock I would think would be the best option.

Even so. KPD are measured on how they perform on the good key forwards.

You'd have to say they failed on Sunday and I'd be uncertain as to how they'd perform against the best in the business.

Jamison is a good, solid reliable defender but can get monstered by the gorilla forwards. Rowe is the good news story given what he's been through but appears to be a good honest trier who is capable of good performances.

Jaksch, well I can't comment on as I haven't seen him too much tbh. Wasn't he a forward at GWS? He'd be pretty inexperienced down back.

Still think losing Henderson would be the critical loss as you've got to be able to kick a winning score and Casboult and Jones alone wouldn't do that regularly and would then rely heavily on Menzel and mids goals.

Probably need a better ruck than Wood too. Warnock I would think would be the best option.
The same Hawkins that Rowe nullified last season? Jamo played half a game on Sunday and Rowe spent time up the ground. Jamo's record on the big forwards in the game is superb (Riewoldt and Cloke both go very poorly on Jamo).

I wouldn't put any hard thought into what happened on Sunday.

Forward line is the big unknown. We now have a lot of players that can play in that part of the ground but we will have to wait and see how good they are.

Wood is far better around the ground then Warnock. Unless Wood goes down, Warnock won't play.

The same Hawkins that Rowe nullified last season? Jamo played half a game on Sunday and Rowe spent time up the ground. Jamo's record on the big forwards in the game is superb (Riewoldt and Cloke both go very poorly on Jamo).

Forward line is the big unknown. We now have a lot of players that can play in that part of the ground but we will have to wait and see how good they are.

Wood is far better around the ground then Warnock. Unless Wood goes down, Warnock won't play.
Riewoldt, Cloke and Hawkins have all pretty much been the lone hands up forward. Allows for easy double teams.

How have they gone against the multi pronged forward lines of Hawthorn, Sydney etc?

That's my view. One on one Clark and Hawkins were dominant on Sunday and I think this will stretch these defenders.

Out of interest, who's carlton's 3rd tall defender mate?

Riewoldt, Cloke and Hawkins have all pretty much been the lone hands up forward. Allows for easy double teams.

How have they gone against the multi pronged forward lines of Hawthorn, Sydney etc?

That's my view. One on one Clark and Hawkins were dominant on Sunday and I think this will stretch these defenders.
We didn't double team those players. We didn't need to.

Hawthorn we did ok and except for 1 quarter where Buddy went nuts, we did ok on him as well.

We won't have a big concern for those forwards when we come up against Geelong.

Out of interest, who's carlton's 3rd tall defender mate?

This year it will be Jaksch. But Simon White and Henderson can float back there as well. We have a lot of swingmen this season.

Hawthorn we did ok and except for 1 quarter where Buddy went nuts, we did ok on him as well.

This year it will be Jaksch. But Simon White and Henderson can float back there as well. We have a lot of swingmen this season.
Each to their own. I'd view it as an area to exploit and I'm sure if there was a main board thread on it (minus the trolls) that there'd be many who'd share a similar view to mine and many who'd share yours.

Maybe revisit once we've played in the H&A as that will clear it up a little:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to go the rebuild stage. I just think Menzel is hugely overrated.

Hodge is better than Lewis but Lewis will be the next big midfielder imo. His season last year was superb!
The next big midfielder? He's about to turn 29...

Will be interesting to see if you have a matchup for Ben Brown. I don't see how you'll be able to kick a winning score without Henderson playing forward.

The next big midfielder? He's about to turn 29...
Should have clarified. I already think he is one of the best in the comp. I expect the media will cotton onto that this season.

His numbers last year were superb. Doesn't get the recognition because he plays next to so many other gun players. If he played for Carlton, he'd stick out like a sore thumb.

Will be interesting to see if you have a matchup for Ben Brown. I don't see how you'll be able to kick a winning score without Henderson playing forward.
We've got enough down back I think.

What do you think of Ben Brown? Reckon he's a bit overrated because he put together a couple of good games late last season. Hadn't even heard of him before that.

We've got enough down back I think.

What do you think of Ben Brown? Reckon he's a bit overrated because he put together a couple of good games late last season. Hadn't even heard of him before that.
I think he's a really good fit in our team. Not many teams can match up on a 200cm 3rd forward. He had his fair share of injuries in the first half of last season so nobody saw him before that as we picked him up from the VFL. Outside of the matchup issues he causes, what really impresses me is his goalkicking accuracy. Probably overrated at Norf and underrated elsewhere.

Bojan KantKick

With Petrie (last legs), Brown, Black, Daw, Waite, Tarrant how do you placate them all? Who misses out (suspect Daw will). Can any play in defence?

Thanks in advance.
No worries mate.

Tarrant played CHB during TAC cup and has filled a role their previously despite playing most of his senior footy up forward. With Grima going down and Hansen underdone, Taz will play CHB at the start of the year. His talent is unquestionable, his durability certainly is.

With Black being underdone after post season shoulder surgery i'd imagine we'll start the year with Waite, Petrie & Brown. It's make or break for Maj. he needs to turn his VFL dominance into AFL dominance and until he does that he'll be a backup. He is probably better in the ruck than forward but unfortunately for him, Goldy is a top 5 ruck in the comp and rucks solo all day.....

When all fit and in form, i'd imagine that Brown & Black will be fighting for the 3rd tall sport unless one of them makes it there own.

No worries mate.

Tarrant played CHB during TAC cup and has filled a role their previously despite playing most of his senior footy up forward. With Grima going down and Hansen underdone, Taz will play CHB at the start of the year. His talent is unquestionable, his durability certainly is.

With Black being underdone after post season shoulder surgery i'd imagine we'll start the year with Waite, Petrie & Brown. It's make or break for Maj. he needs to turn his VFL dominance into AFL dominance and until he does that he'll be a backup. He is probably better in the ruck than forward but unfortunately for him, Goldy is a top 5 ruck in the comp and rucks solo all day.....

When all fit and in form, i'd imagine that Brown & Black will be fighting for the 3rd tall sport unless one of them makes it there own.
Well it's clear the motivations for Waite. He's unlikely to get a flag in the remaining years of his career at Carlton (applies to Higgins as well) so he's taken a punt on NM.

So once he and Petrie go, who's the heir apparent as the no.1 forward??

The worrying sign for Daw was last season in R10 when Lonergan goes off and he gets towelled up by Blicavs who'd never played in defence before. Appears as last chance saloon for him in 2015.

Well it's clear the motivations for Waite. He's unlikely to get a flag in the remaining years of his career at Carlton (applies to Higgins as well) so he's taken a punt on NM.

So once he and Petrie go, who's the heir apparent as the no.1 forward??

The worrying sign for Daw was last season in R10 when Lonergan goes off and he gets towelled up by Blicavs who'd never played in defence before. Appears as last chance saloon for him in 2015.
Probably Tom Hawkins at the end of the season:D

Black & Brown have the potential to be very good players.

We drafted Durdin to be our next key forward. We have really high hopes for him. 200+, very athletic, great hands.

Probably Tom Hawkins at the end of the season:D

Black & Brown have the potential to be very good players.

We drafted Durdin to be our next key forward. We have really high hopes for him. 200+, very athletic, great hands.
Keep dreaming.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427265012.561650.jpg

Already indicated a 4-5 year deal is nearly done!

At draft time I was hoping for Durdin at #10 but I've changed my tune on that now.

Very happy with Cockatoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back