The official 2015 ECF thread - The Mike Fratello Memorial Cup (Atlanta vs Cleveland)

Which city would you rather live in?

• Atlanta

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Cleveland

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Pyongyang

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barkley doesn't believe in analytics, but I'll give him props here.

Charles and Shaq are basically making the same point being that Delly is a tough player that hustles and scraps and isn't dirty. The only bit they disagreed on is that Charles thinks he plays this way to make up for a lack of talent, Shaq is saying he himself played that way even though he was blessed with talent.
Both guys spot on. Kenny Smith obviously paid to be the controversial one.

I have found reading the reaction to be very interesting in terms of what Aussies and what Americans value in their sportspeople. Aussies like the underdog trying his guts out for his team, Americans not so much.

Charles and Shaq are basically making the same point being that Delly is a tough player that hustles and scraps and isn't dirty. The only bit they disagreed on is that Charles thinks he plays this way to make up for a lack of talent, Shaq is saying he himself played that way even though he was blessed with talent.
Both guys spot on. Kenny Smith obviously paid to be the controversial one.

I have found reading the reaction to be very interesting in terms of what Aussies and what Americans value in their sportspeople. Aussies like the underdog trying his guts out for his team, Americans not so much.

Disagree with the first point, agree with the second.

It's nothing about who is paid to be controversial.

Shaq and Chuck defend Delly because they were big hustling players whose physical presence allowed them to dominate the court while Kenny was a skinny guard who relied on his style as his point of difference. Those type of players who avoided physical contact knowing that making that contact meant nothing but trouble to their game just aren't going to understand.

Give it to Delly for playing hustle and demonstrating how Aussies play. However Americans tend to think that style as brash and reckless. It's the same mentality we have in Soccer for example. Aussies play hard but fair yet other countries whinge and stay on the ground carrying on being injured. Love how some forums suggest Delly plans how to purpose injury someone when going for the ball. Please.
Not sure what you're talking about.

American sport has historically been full of dirty players.

Bill Laimbeer ring a bell? Bruce Bowen?

CF0vSp1UMAEAbU8.png

DeMarre's quote

Horfords comments

CF0rf9MUsAAsc88.png

It's kinda gotten lost in the discussion on what Delly did/n't do, but Horford had 14 points in the first half and is a match-up problem for the Cavs.

So, er... kudos on 'protecting the team' and 'making a stand' and all, but y'all down 0-3 now o_O

I know. But there was about as much intent in what he did as there was in what Dellevadova did.

Laimbeer was a mongrel though
Olynyk was boxing out and got tangled with a player who was doing the same thing to him seconds earlier.

Delly was running around with reckless abandon

Olynyk was boxing out and got tangled with a player who was doing the same thing to him seconds earlier.

I thought Delly basically got pulled down, fell over another bloke and then decided stuff it, I might as well try and make a nuisance of myself. He didn't aim at anyone's knees. The whole play was just one big cluster$&@$.

Damn, looks like I missed a pretty eventful game :eek:

The Delly incident didnt look intentional at all to me but I can definitely understand Horford's reaction, shouldnt have been a flagrant 2

Steph better be on Delly-watch next series haha

Turn it up! Reckless abandon? Olynyk's play on Love (which I have no issues with) was closer to reckless than Delly's play on Horford. Even his play on Korver was smart. He got the ball and rolled to protect it as you are taught to do. Unfortunately Korver was in the way and that result was most unfortunate.

Let's face it, if Delly were a Carlton player, you'd be lauding him for his courage

Jesus that is soft. Could you imagine the Pistons or the Knicks playing in todays game. They would all get ejected in the first quarter.

The NBA is super soft nowadays. I saw that Horford got ejected so had a look and there is nothing in it. It's playoff basketball. Get on with it.

Soft as butter.

Anyways as I said in the WCF thread, these series are boring. Both sweeps. Let's get to the Finals.

I want to see if Curry can stand up on the big stage or fold like a cheap pack of cards.

Turn it up! Reckless abandon? Olynyk's play on Love (which I have no issues with) was closer to reckless than Delly's play on Horford. Even his play on Korver was smart. He got the ball and rolled to protect it as you are taught to do. Unfortunately Korver was in the way and that result was most unfortunate.

Let's face it, if Delly were a Carlton player, you'd be lauding him for his courage
He dives at the ball like he doesn't give a s**t. Nothing wrong with it, but it can be seen as dirty and/or reckless.

My 2 cents

People don't seem to like it, and if the NBA doesn't like it they only really have themselves to blame. I find it absolutely hilarious that when someone has the ball it's a normal game, but when it is a loose ball, * me, you can do what ever you like. You can jump on someone, smack someone arm, whatever. I've seen it when someone jumps after a loose ball and gains possession and then someone jumps on him and rides him like a horse to get to the ball and the refs calls "jump ball". Basically rugby rules are in force once that ball gets lose, which is crazy. I can't see how in general play riding a guy like a horse is a foul, but after a loose ball it's just "play on". Really weird. I don't mind it for entertainment value, but it doesn't make sense.

Back