Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I realised when watching the movie for the first time since my teen years last night, was how on point the humour is, which is one thing that carried over in to the TV show. SG-1 was ridiculously funny at times but never overdone.

Ah well, as long as any remake/reboot doesn't fill the screen with some seriously shitty blurry cgi ship battle mess, I don't think I've seen a single fighter plane thingy scene in any movie in the last 15 years that hasn't looked like that. Movies like Return of the Jedi and the original Independence Day will have the best looking ship battles in history until Hollywood that seeing a bunch of pixels fly around a bunch of other pixels looks like crap.
Been re-watching with my kids. Up to season 4 and they love it. Every time Teal'c smiles they lose it.

I loved it and even though it was long, it didn't feel it. I think cutting too much would be of detriment to the general feeling of it being a hard and desperate journey.

The visuals were stunning (completely shot using natural light, bar one scene) and the suspense was unreal in some parts. Had me squirming in my seat.

Leo worthy of the Oscar and Tom also fantastic. Two of the best actors of their generation imo.

A solid 4.5 David.
I agree the visuals were stunning. Apparently the decision to shoot only in natural light (except for a campfire scene) was the reason the shoot took so long due to short winter days.

Interesting that it is set in South Dakota yet shot in Canada, Mexico and Argentina. I also found it interesting that while the incident it is based on happened in spring/summer Alejandro Inarritu decided to set the story in winter. Having been to South Dakota in winter I believe Glass would have died of hypothermia after floating downstream.

Also agree on Tom.

I agree the visuals were stunning. Apparently the decision to shoot only in natural light (except for a campfire scene) was the reason the shoot took so long due to short winter days.

Interesting that it is set in South Dakota yet shot in Canada, Mexico and Argentina. I also found it interesting that while the incident it is based on happened in spring/summer Alejandro Inarritu decided to set the story in winter. Having been to South Dakota in winter I believe Glass would have died of hypothermia after floating downstream.

Also agree on Tom.

I couldn't stop thinking about what it would be like to be that cold and wet constantly.

Been re-watching with my kids. Up to season 4 and they love it. Every time Teal'c smiles they lose it.
If you get a chance to go to a con where Chris Judge is do it. He'll likely do the whole thing tanked. He was at Armageddon in Melbourne a couple of years ago and was pissed from the Friday night cocktails through the end of Sunday, but made his panels better.

One thing I realised when watching the movie for the first time since my teen years last night, was how on point the humour is, which is one thing that carried over in to the TV show. SG-1 was ridiculously funny at times but never overdone.

I reckon if it was made today, you might have seen Spader and Russel in the TV series, given it is more common for big actors to do TV.
richarddeanandersonkurtrussell.jpg

Ah well, as long as any remake/reboot doesn't fill the screen with some seriously shitty blurry cgi ship battle mess, I don't think I've seen a single fighter plane thingy scene in any movie in the last 15 years that hasn't looked like that. Movies like Return of the Jedi and the original Independence Day will have the best looking ship battles in history until Hollywood realises that seeing a bunch of pixels fly around a bunch of other pixels looks like crap.
Mate tells a story how he was on a tour in Cairo and someone in the group asked the guide where the Stargate is?
Guess where they were from?

Just found out the most pretentious, out of touch, self righteous teenage girl I had the misfortune of being associated with during my high school years, is working for buzzfeed.

Well, it figures.

Just found out the most pretentious, out of touch, self righteous teenage girl I had the misfortune of being associated with during my high school years, is working for buzzfeed.

Well, it figures.

I like the sound of this girl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shockingly enough, no.

This girl would literally leave the pub if there was a group of aboriginals there, yet is your text book white girl social justice warrior.

Also a lesbian and a vegetarian.

Keep talking, she gets better every time you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back