Time to start trading with West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Sonny is almost top 5 for importance to our side and I'm not just saying that because he's my buddy. Gun small forward that can rotate capably through the midfield. Where would you say McGovern sits in your best 22?
15-22 ATM but would be 5-10 for freo, I know It wouldn't get done but prob the only decent trade between the two clubs that is win win. Walters is a gun no doubt but Freo have Ballantine and need talls, Gov can play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck which would suit freo perfectly considering Pav, Sandi and McPharlin are coming to the end of their careers.

15-22 ATM but would be 5-10 for freo, I know It wouldn't get done but prob the only decent trade between the two clubs that is win win. Walters is a gun no doubt but Freo have Ballantine and need talls, Gov can play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck which would suit freo perfectly considering Pav, Sandi and McPharlin are coming to the end of their careers.
By that maths your best 22 is better than ours? Wow.

Also, from last year's form, Walters is better than Ballas.

Walters for Gov? Small for a tall suits both teams needs

tZOS8.gif

Gee Gov looks alright, may become a very good player but he is anything but an established player. You don't give up A graders for a 'maybe'.

I am not convinced by him yet

1 good game does not make you worthy of anything.

Tracking pretty similarly to Stephen Hill for mine. Both were very small when first drafted, and aren't natural 'bulkers' like someone like Fyfe. Both very impressive at the start of his career but started to cop the tag which they both struggled to work through due to size/age/application issues.

Hill is now a gun, while Gaff is starting to work through the tag a bit better than before. Give Gaff a couple more years and I think he'll be a very good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't say I watch a lot of WCE games, but I doubt Gaff would cop nearly as hard of a tag throughout his career as Hill, so to compare output is to move the goals drastically closer for Gaff than Hill.

It's hard to say how strong Gaff's tag is compared to Hill's, but Adelaide let him run free on the weekend and he carved them up.

Plus I'd argue that Hill is surrounded by a far better midfield than Gaff who provide him with much better outside ball/blocking, this definitely moves the goals somewhat towards Hill.

In any case I wasn't commenting on the ceiling of either players, I was just responding to posters who were inferring Gaff is worth nought, which is clearly untrue.

Tracking pretty similarly to Stephen Hill for mine. Both were very small when first drafted, and aren't natural 'bulkers' like someone like Fyfe. Both very impressive at the start of his career but started to cop the tag which they both struggled to work through due to size/age/application issues.

Hill is now a gun, while Gaff is starting to work through the tag a bit better than before. Give Gaff a couple more years and I think he'll be a very good player.

Eagles only prepared to offer him 2 years by the looks.

Eagles only prepared to offer him 2 years by the looks.

I think Gaff would stipulate the terms of his own deal to be honest. My guess is he realises he'll get more dollars out of a second 2 year deal at the end of 2016, than a 4 year deal signed now. Smart contract management. Plus if we signed him on a 4 year deal now he'd be out of contract right as he becomes a RFA. Three years would have been perfect, and I'm sure we would have pushed for it.

See him play last week Cletus?

I didn't mean to quote your comment but why not. Lol!

I think Gaff would stipulate the terms of his own deal to be honest. My guess is he realises he'll get more dollars out of a second 2 year deal at the end of 2016, than a 4 year deal signed now. Smart contract management. Plus if we signed him on a 4 year deal now he'd be out of contract right as he becomes a RFA. Three years would have been perfect, and I'm sure we would have pushed for it.

Gaff is in no position to be calling the shots himself. If so, what has happened to the "mighty" WCE.

Gaff is in no position to be calling the shots himself. If so, what has happened to the "mighty" WCE.

I can't see how a young bloke negotiating the length of his contract is him 'calling the shots'. It's his career and he's entitled to make his own decisions. No club can just tell a player 'sign this 5 year deal on minimal money right now!'

A 2 year extension is pretty standard, particularly considering it would be expected his form will continue in an upward trend, entitling him to a larger deal at the end of his current contract. Unless you've got a certified young gun like Fyfe to sign, 2 years deals are probably the best for the player and the club (although as mentioned, 3 may have been better for west coast).

I can't see how a young bloke negotiating the length of his contract is him 'calling the shots'. It's his career and he's entitled to make his own decisions. No club can just tell a player 'sign this 5 year deal on minimal money right now!'

A 2 year extension is pretty standard, particularly considering it would be expected his form will continue in an upward trend, entitling him to a larger deal at the end of his current contract. Unless you've got a certified young gun like Fyfe to sign, 2 years deals are probably the best for the player and the club (although as mentioned, 3 may have been better for west coast).

I suppose we are just looking at it different ways. I'm thinking he is lucky to get the two years, where as it sounds like you think he could sign for 4-5 if he wanted. I know I wouldn't be signing him for any more than two years. I'm sure he would love the security of 4-5 and would take it in a heart beat.

Small midfielders with his skill set are a dime a dozen. He's small too.

Edit: Continue in an upward trend? Continue? He plateaued long ago, and yes I saw last weekend.

I suppose we are just looking at it different ways. I'm thinking he is lucky to get the two years, where as it sounds like you think he could sign for 4-5 if he wanted. I know I wouldn't be signing him for any more than two years. I'm sure he would love the security of 4-5 and would take it in a heart beat.

Small midfielders with his skill set are a dime a dozen. He's small too.

I see him as a guaranteed 200+ game player for West Coast unless he heads back to Victoria. Runs all day, is great by foot and is starting to add goal kicking to his skill set. He's still small, but he's got a kind of stocky build that with a couple more pre seasons will allow him to improve the physicality of his game. He's only 22 and already cops a tag. Him and Shuey are the only 2 I feel confident saying should be part of our midfield going forward.

Anyway, I've gone way off topic here, good luck for tomorrow, hopefully Duffy snags a couple of arsey ones on debut ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back