Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll be 17th if we lose tomorrow (or 18th if Geelong and Gold Coast draw)

At this stage of the year percentage drops and rises are larger (eg: Freo's percentage went up 11% last week despite the loss) , and there's only 2.6% difference in percentage between us (88.6%) and Geelong (86%), so if Geelong lose narrowly to Gold Coast and West Coast beat us by a few more goals than Gold Coast beat Geelong we will drop to 18th.

Interesting to hear Schofield on The Restump this week talking bout Adam Simpson's motivation to beat us this week. Was saying that the message from him to hus players was beat them and they don't play finals. Now I get the rivalry and God knows how much I hate both the team and their supporters but for the coach to say that as your motivation to beat us tomorrow is really poor form

At this stage of the year percentage drops and rises are larger (eg: Freo's percentage went up 11% last week despite the loss) , and there's only 2.6% difference in percentage between us (88.6%) and Geelong (86%), so if Geelong lose narrowly to Gold Coast and West Coast beat us by a few more goals than Gold Coast beat Geelong we will drop to 18th.
Wow that's really cheered me up

Interesting to hear Schofield on The Restump this week talking bout Adam Simpson's motivation to beat us this week. Was saying that the message from him to hus players was beat them and they don't play finals. Now I get the rivalry and God knows how much I hate both the team and their supporters but for the coach to say that as your motivation to beat us tomorrow is really poor form
How?
Probably what previous Fremantle coaches said about West Coast years ago too.

Kind of hope our coach is telling the players the same thing, "You campaigners lose to these Eagles flogs, you're not gonna be playing in September!"

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
This I'm OK with. "We lose we're not paying September ", but to say "beat them so THEY don't play finals " - I dunno I just find that a really pathetic approach.

Wow that's really cheered me up

Positive scenario is Geelong and Gold Coast is close, Sydney beat Melbourne by a lot and we beat West Coast by a lot, we take 8th spot.

*Not massive margins in each game...just 90pts vs 60pts in both of those blow out games should do it.

Last edited:
Not true. I listened to that podcast. Schofield wasn't quoting Simpson. He isn't privy to the Eagles inner sanctum anymore. He was just doomsaying to get a rise out of the Restump boys. And as for derbies in general, he said that Worsfold and Simpson never coached or prepared for them any differently to a regular AFL game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox would probably be our best forward if he played there. That luxury was taken away from us with Logue leaving.

A hamling Pearce combo just won't work down back imo
Cox is a far better player now than in his early forward days, If Cox moves forward I think he’d do well, but what ever he kicks will probably go against us the other way with him not back there… still, I’d love to see what would happen if he spent time down fwd, much better experiment than using Louge.

I liked B. Cox from his first game and have always watched him pretty closely. I thought he showed plenty of promise when played as a forward. He was always good at influencing contests and being able to bring the ball to ground when he didn’t mark it. As a young forward he copped the usual flak for not being Wayne Carey from Day 1. Then came the persistent injuries and the move to the backline where he was more comfortable. Now that he is an established backline star I guess there is little chance of him becoming a permanent forward again.

The idea of going into the Derby without Tabs seems crazy to me. Obviously he is no superstar but at least the Eagles will consider him a serious threat. It’s mainly his fitness that concerns me, not his ability (or the obligatory brain fades). I don’t think we can play both Treacy and Amiss at the moment. They both have lots of room for improvement but based on the evidence to date I have more confidence in Amiss becoming a player. I’m still a little surprised that we can’t find a spot for a medium sized lead up forward like Sturt or Corbett - especially when we seem to have selected four wingers.

You might as well compare Tabs to mickey mouse , he is a dud
Honestly look at his regular leading patterns it is always to the boundary, when did you last see him have a kick for goal directly in front say 35/40 mtrs out
Sorry if this sounds over negative but i think we play better when he is not in the team as it straightens us up
Thank you mate, sometimes I worry I'm the only one on here who thinks like that. The attacks I get for even suggesting Taberner should be dropped..... it's like he's untouchable just because he wears purple and has been the only viable forward option for so long.

I truly believe we we are far more balanced with Amiss, Treacy and Sturt down there. Sure they are inexperienced, but at the moment I'll take 3 heatlhy, hungry kids over one ineffectual, predictable Taberner.

I was at the Port preseason game and to my eyes, the only time that forward line looked functional was when Fyfe, Treacy and Sturt were in there.

It's a huge game for Tabs today. I get the feeling he's at the crossroads - play well and he stays in but another poor showing and he'll become depth and only used in emergencies.

So, it was Will Brodie who was made the scapegoat...

That's pretty insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back