MMA-UFC UFC 168 Weidman vs Silva II

Remove this Banner Ad

The spider should win this time

si57Q4o.jpg

I am amazed at the betting - $1.70 for Silva I think is great odds. After the sting of losing his belt I think he will be all business. No way will he stick his chin out to get hit again. I think we will see a much different Anderson Silva than in his recent bouts where he has mocked opponents.

I think we will see a much different Anderson Silva than in his recent bouts where he has mocked opponents.
Yep, see rematch vs Sonnen. This will however play better into Wideman's Wrestling game but either way he'll get the belt back.

The more I read into this fight I am slowly leaning towards Weidman....... Silva is a superstar don't get me wrong but it seems some people in the ufc game actually had Weidman for the KO of the spider in the first fight.

It's a toss up for me who's going to win the main event. I'm hoping Silva wins, although I'm a big fan of Weidman too.

The thing about Weidman that I really like is how well-rounded he is. His striking's good, he's got great wrestling and he's got an exceptional ground game. Even now with all the fighters training everything, it's still not that common for someone to have great wrestling and BJJ like Weidman does.

Hoping Silva loses. I welcome seeing the UFC post-GSP and Silva.
Seriously?

Silva has had an incredible career and has done some amazing things inside the octagon that I don't think we will see for a long time, maybe ever.

It will be a sad day once he does hang it up.

I agree with Jay C. I get people wanting GSP or Anderson to lose but I don't get why you'd want to see them gone. Even if Anderson loses to Weidman again I'd love to see him in some fun fights at MW or even LHW. That's obviously assuming he's still capable of competing at the UFC level and I've seen nothing yet to suggest he isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Jay C. I get people wanting GSP or Anderson to lose but I don't get why you'd want to see them gone. Even if Anderson loses to Weidman again I'd love to see him in some fun fights at MW or even LHW. That's obviously assuming he's still capable of competing at the UFC level and I've seen nothing yet to suggest he isn't.

Without speaking for Red and Black, i would also like to see Silva stay on, just not as champ. Superfights or just match ups that would produce good fights for him would be great, but i like seeing progression and evolution. Seeing champions fall is part of the beauty of sport.

This.
However, at the risk of being unpopular, I wouldn't be too disappointed if Silva loses again, even though he is probably my most favourite fighter to watch. My reasons are purely because I'm getting tired of all the logjams in weight divisions and top contenders having to wait for 6-18 months before they get their chance. I really hope the result doesn't fan the flames for a 3rd fight, i'd rather see someone else get the opportunity for a title shot. regardless of whether it's against Silva or Weidman.

There could be some incredible fights for either of these guys to fight other opponents, win or lose. Either against Vitor, Jacare, Machida etc would be cool matchups.

Not hating on GSP or Silva, I just think the 170 and 185 divisions become more dynamic without them.

God damn I hate that word - dynamic.
Now that's what you call a dynamic way to make a point.

Maybe it's time to change the dynamics of this dynamic before a someone dynamically adjusts our thinking.

I like Weidman too, but he's young. He has time to be champion over a long period.
I want to see a legend put on a special display, redeeming his bullshit from the first fight.

I think that is exactly what will happen.

Seriously?

Silva has had an incredible career and has done some amazing things inside the octagon that I don't think we will see for a long time, maybe ever.

It will be a sad day once he does hang it up.

Silva has always carefully picked his fights in what has at times been a shallow division. In his time in Pride he was actually close to getting cut. It wasn't like he was a José Aldo who was destroying the competition and universally accepted as the best in his division it was only once he wrested the belt from Franklin that he begun this tear that has cemented his place in MMA history.

If anyone has watched Anderson Silva vs Lee Murray will know Silva has not always favoured his striking as his main strength.

I think Weidman is more game than Silva in taking on all comers and I think everyone is underestimating Weidman's ability to avoid getting hit by Silva. Currently fighters with a wrestling background are having the most success and I think Weidman's will improve more from his last fight than Silva. I honestly think Weidman's is a more naturally mixed martial artist than Silva due to his preternatural ability to implement the correct technique at the right time. To pull off a standing guillotine choke or his use of an elbow on Munoz just comes down God given ability.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/6/4679268/chris-weidman-seven-weeks-into-his-own-era

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...amercian-will-look-even-better-in-the-rematch

If there is anyone who has the best chance to beat Weidman it is Jacare Souza. He matches up perfectly and may be one of the few in the middleweight division who can match Weidman in terms of physical strength and grappling ability.

I reiterate my belief that Weidman will submit Silva and it is going to be a dominant performance from a man who knows how to rise to the occasion.

Silva has always carefully picked his fights in what has at times been a shallow division. In his time in Pride he was actually close to getting cut.
No he hasn't. He fights whoever is given to him by the UFC. I can't think of one top contended who hasn't been given a shot over the years.

In his time in Pride he was actually close to getting cut.
Source? I don't believe this at all. He was the Cage Rage middleweight champion and had beaten the best 168/170 pounder in the world around the time of his 3-2 Pride run.

It wasn't like he was a José Aldo who was destroying the competition and universally accepted as the best in his division it was only once he wrested the belt from Franklin that he begun this tear that has cemented his place in MMA history.
He was actually considered the best WW after beating Sakurai pretty early in his career.

I honestly think Weidman's is a more naturally mixed martial artist than Silva

Holy hell that's a big call. Silva is one of the most naturally gifted MMA of all time.

To pull off a standing guillotine choke or his use of an elbow on Munoz just comes down God given ability.
Front kicks to the face, spinning rising elbows and matrix dodging aren't?

No he hasn't. He fights whoever is given to him by the UFC. I can't think of one top contended who hasn't been given a shot over the years.

Source? I don't believe this at all. He was the Cage Rage middleweight champion and had beaten the best 168/170 pounder in the world around the time of his 3-2 Pride run.

He was actually considered the best WW after beating Sakurai pretty early in his career.

Holy hell that's a big call. Silva is one of the most naturally gifted MMA of all time.

Front kicks to the face, spinning rising elbows and matrix dodging aren't?

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/193775.html

Dana has admitted in the past there is a bit of a "process" in getting Silva to fight and he resisted a rematch with Hendo with Hendo going to Strikeforce.

After his loss to Chonan at Pride Shockwave in 2004 he was never invited back to any of the Pride because he had a 3-2 record. He even lost to Daiju Takase by triangle choke and Takase had a losing record (4-7 at the time 11-13-2 for his career).

With regards to being a talented mixed martial artist Jon Jones is not the best striker but he is the best at implementing the correct strategy for the situation in using his reach to keep knockout artists at bay and using the clinch to take it to the ground when he has an advantage.

Weidman also in that regard is able to not just use his wrestling, grappling and striking in isolation but implement a strategy where he has the greatest advantage. Weidman has beaten Maia on a weeks notice as a replacement in only his eighth professional fight and he beat Munoz on eleven days notice. Then he has a long injury layoff and beats the supposed GOAT in his tenth ever professional fight by knocking him out. That is far more then Silva ever achieved in his first ten fights.

People need to realise that Silva was trying to get Weidman to overextend himself by getting to throwing wild punches at him and then knock him out like he has done against Leben and Griffin. However Weidman beat him at his own game and taught him a lesson.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dmitted-that-he-struggled-couldnt-hit-weidman

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/1...ts-revenge-defies-clowning-critics-it-should?

Chael might be a walking advertisement but he is sharp as a tack when analysing fights:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-vs-silva-was-the-worst-weidman-ive-ever-seen

I'm not a betting man but by betting on the underdog (Weidman) you will receive far better returns than current bond yields or term deposit rates plus there is less uncertainty about Weidman dominating than current questions about the efficacy of quantitative easing on the US Economy.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/193775.html

Dana has admitted in the past there is a bit of a "process" in getting Silva to fight and he resisted a rematch with Hendo with Hendo going to Strikeforce.

Sorry, Dan Henderson sledging Anderson is not a source. All champions would go through a process with Dana trying to negotiate contracts/money/location/advertising/PPV cut, Anderson is not alone.

Bottom line, Anderson fights the top contenders and his record shows that.

After his loss to Chonan at Pride Shockwave in 2004 he was never invited back to any of the Pride because he had a 3-2 record.

Source? Incredibly stupid decision by Pride if true (which I doubt was as simple as that); Anderson was a top 170 pounder and the Cage Rage champion.

He even lost to Daiju Takase by triangle choke and Takase had a losing record (4-7 at the time 11-13-2 for his career).

I think we can safely say his loss to Takase and Chonan were abnormal losses in a stellar career from top to bottom.He simply got caught by Takase and Chonan's was a freak, once in a lifetime, submission.

That is far more then Silva ever achieved in his first ten fights.
I mean what are we comparing here? Sure, Weidman has had a better first 10 fights, no one can deny that. We weren't discussing that at all though.

However Weidman beat him at his own game and taught him a lesson.
We can all agree with that. We'll see how the second fight goes I suppose.

I'm not a betting man but by betting on the underdog (Weidman) you will receive far better returns than current bond yields or term deposit rates plus there is less uncertainty about Weidman dominating than current questions about the efficacy of quantitative easing on the US Economy.
Comparing MMA betting to bond yields and term deposits in the US? Holy hell, we've gone full crazy and irrelevant.

Geez, you lose once.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back