2nds VFL Round 19 - North Ballarat v Geelong, Eureka Stadium, 2:00PM Sunday 5 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Is 1 S Byrnes making a late case for a call up. That's 2 good games in a row.
Wouldn't rule him out of making a Cameo at Subi - has put in some great performances there in the past.

Actually, am concerned Bundy was KO'd again (dirty farking Shiels) and as result might be rested given he has been KO'd a few times this year. Byrnes could come in for a game - Schroder is also making a case.

Is anyone able to report on game? Would love to hear reports on Wojack.

Wouldn't rule him out of making a Cameo at Subi - has put in some great performances there in the past.

Actually, am concerned Bundy was KO'd again (dirty farking Shiels) and as result might be rested given he has been KO'd a few times this year. Byrnes could come in for a game - Schroder is also making a case.

Is anyone able to report on game? Would love to hear reports on Wojack.

i read on twitter Byrnes laid 12 tackles as well so he is getting around the ball. Schroder has had a great year again. Last year he was our leading goal kicker. He is coming along really well. He may just knock the door down until that cannot refuse him. Im wondering does he have any leg speed at all? Maybe RR can shed some light on this.

Byrnes can definitely fill a small role if required. Could just be a call up for Subi.

Haven't seen too much of Schroder, but in and under type and obviously knows where the goals are. Not sure if he has any toe - from memory, nothing exceptional.

i read on twitter Byrnes laid 12 tackles as well so he is getting around the ball.

So that's 12 tackles plus a few goals and he has been in the best for the past few weeks now? Stuff it he can have Motlop's spot. Had a nice year Mot but he is offering absolutely #### all and there is no way known Shannon's tackling would have been as piss weak on Friday night with it all to play for late in the game.

Vardy played 70% of the game time which they had planned. (sound like a lot)
He played mainly in the forward line and in the ruck in the last.
Took some great marks and had great second efforts.
They were very pleased with his game
thanks mate

i read on twitter Byrnes laid 12 tackles as well so he is getting around the ball. Schroder has had a great year again. Last year he was our leading goal kicker. He is coming along really well. He may just knock the door down until that cannot refuse him. Im wondering does he have any leg speed at all? Maybe RR can shed some light on this.

He's not quick but not tortoise slow, his turn of foot is ok. But he has endurance/fitness issues which I would think means there's next to no chance he'd play at Subi of all places. But you'd think if Schroder keeps this up he'll definitely get a game before years end (probably v dogs)

Went along and stood through the rain and the freezing cold. A couple of observations.

Vardy - moved really well. Gave a North Ballarat player 10 metres start on the wing and caught him just as he kicked. A couple of his taps from ruck contests were excellent and he also took a one hander in a marking contest. I would think Scottie would have been pleased with what he saw and i dare say if he has no issues from hear on with the hip he will play seniors before the end of the year.

Byrnes - Was in everything tackling and applying pressure everywhere. Would push hard and run to the square when we created turnovers but wasn't utilized like he would have been in the seniors.

Schroder - Played well and will get a call up asap. Very strong in the contest able to break tackles easy. Takes the game on which is awesome but needs to lower his eyes as doesnt always find the best option.

McCarthy - Didn't get alot of the ball but moves well and when he builds up his motor and can play more through the midfield and get to more contests will be a player.

Hamling - Looks lost out there at the moment. Played forward most of the game but needs to move back to defence and be lead to the ball. Doesn't run to the best positions therefore isn't utilized by players further up the field.

Great to see Domsy,Steve J,Joel Selwood and Billie Smedts there to support the guys.

The good news is in the Bests - Schroder (who I like) and Brown. Both I think will be players and are showing abit at the right time of the year !

Kersten kicked a goal as well.

If these 3 make it - we will have our strong bodied mid, a tall that can play back or forward and a leading forward who can kick long and straight. A good group of 3 for us.

It was said by some commentators Kersten at the ND time, he was the steal of the draft. I'm going with that for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went along and stood through the rain and the freezing cold. A couple of observations.

Vardy - moved really well. Gave a North Ballarat player 10 metres start on the wing and caught him just as he kicked. A couple of his taps from ruck contests were excellent and he also took a one hander in a marking contest. I would think Scottie would have been pleased with what he saw and i dare say if he has no issues from hear on with the hip he will play seniors before the end of the year.

Byrnes - Was in everything tackling and applying pressure everywhere. Would push hard and run to the square when we created turnovers but wasn't utilized like he would have been in the seniors.

Schroder - Played well and will get a call up asap. Very strong in the contest able to break tackles easy. Takes the game on which is awesome but needs to lower his eyes as doesnt always find the best option.

McCarthy - Didn't get alot of the ball but moves well and when he builds up his motor and can play more through the midfield and get to more contests will be a player.

Hamling - Looks lost out there at the moment. Played forward most of the game but needs to move back to defence and be lead to the ball. Doesn't run to the best positions therefore isn't utilized by players further up the field.

Great to see Domsy,Steve J,Joel Selwood and Billie Smedts there to support the guys.

Thanks for assessments.

PS. Great news on Vardy. Still cannot see him or Varcoe making it - but along with Menzel - all 3 should be close to being right to go at the end of next year's pre-season.

PSS. I have accepted I have no idea how Geelong will go this year and taken a step back.

What I can see is that we are getting time into good young players and trying out other youngsters to see if they have the right stuff. It sems quite a few just might have the right stuff.

In the context of a rebuilding or transitional phase we are going thru - we are doing really well.

We are building. This year - 10 debutants - says it all. Reckon we have found another 3-4 players this season - from last year's additions (Duncan, Menzel, Bundy and West).

If you can find 3-4 new good players a year - for three years in a row - then you do stand a good chance of rebuilding the side and remaining competitive.

No one could argue now Geelong has not been competitive in 2012. We have beaten Hawks twice, beaten Adelaide and Essendon. Came close to the Pies and Sydney. We are 6th on the ladder close to the end of the season. No one really wants to play us.

GFC has done what it set out to do in 2012. It has secured more members, better and bigger home ground facilities, blooded a heap of players, found a few players and remained competitive - with a shot at the Premiership not entirely out of the question.

The VFL side looks good and is likely to produce more AFL players for us.

Mid to long term we look really good. Short term - who knows ?

What I can see is that we are getting time into good young players and trying out other youngsters to see if they have the right stuff. It sems quite a few just might have the right stuff.

In the context of a rebuilding or transitional phase we are going thru - we are doing really well.

We are building. This year - 10 debutants - says it all. Reckon we have found another 3-4 players this season - from last year's additions (Duncan, Menzel, Bundy and West).

I think they're doing much, much better than that. Whatever they do down there seems to work. Every single player who comes up through the reserves into the seniors looks capable. How long since we've had a player that looked a lost cause and never got any better? It's been a while. A good chunk of those kids are going to become good senior footballers. Of that I have no doubt.

Just an amazingly thorough and professional club they have become. Incredible. Can't see them stopping any time soon either.

I think they're doing much, much better than that. Whatever they do down there seems to work. Every single player who comes up through the reserves into the seniors looks capable. How long since we've had a player that looked a lost cause and never got any better? It's been a while. A good chunk of those kids are going to become good senior footballers. Of that I have no doubt.

Just an amazingly thorough and professional club they have become. Incredible. Can't see them stopping any time soon either.

But, but, but...Port supporters say we are going to fall off the cliff any time soon and Boak would be stupid to come here!! :D

Good to see Byrnes had a good VFL game as well.

We would like to have all our VFL players playing well - so we have soe real depth come finals time.

It is just getting brutal out there on the ground.

I expect come Dogs game we may rest 2-3 players and give in form VFL players a look in. Maybe even Byrnes. I would like to see Schroder get a gig as well. Even as the sub - Byrnes and Schroder maybe ok.

Might not be this year or even next but McCarth will make a big impact in the 1's

Might not be this year or even next but McCarth will make a big impact in the 1's

He has talent but no tank at the moment.

Hows Bathie going. Seems to me he must be getting close to the time we had programed his schedule for.

Watching Schroder the other day on TV , the way he broke thru tackles made me question if he could do that in the Snrs. Much stronger bodies in the AFL.

Who rucked most of the game? At years end we will have to really look at if we need to add to our ruck stocks.

Dangerfield and martin were strong enough to break tackles in their opening seasons, while Schroder isn't at that level, he has the size and grit to at least give it a go.

Would love to see him try to break some packs and take the game on in the seniors.

Quick notes.. as I highlighted on my @VFLCatsPhotos account, Dawson Simpson was out with the back injury that has hampered his last month of football.. Murdoch was rested possibly in preparation for Perth. Rough condition for players although the ground held up well. Umpiring was dreadful, first three quarters Roosters got an armchair ride, last quarter we started to win more of the iffy ones..
Much shorter notes this week just because the shape of the ground and weather meant it was harder to see who was doing what.

1) Brown ~ much quieter second half down back. First half played the Scarlett role great for the team.
6) McCarthy ~ fantastic first quarter, but the game took its toll as it went on. Used in more of a midfield role this week.
15) Schroder ~ Best on ground. Played the mid 2000s Chappy role. Added extra grunt in the midfield and damaging on the attack. His sealing goal in the conditions was fantastic.
17) Byrnes ~ very solid game. Attacking game was a constant threat as was defensive pressure around 50.
24) Bews ~ best game for the year. Provided great one on one defense and great rebound. Looked damaging with his speed by foot.
25) Gillies ~ slightly disappointing. Had a few moments early on where you thought it'd be his game, but went quiet against a lesser heralded Roosters forward line.
29) Guthrie ~ had an okay game. Added good pressure around the contests.
33) Horlin-Smith ~ started strongly early, but didn't notice him as much after half time. Was good with his disposal.
34) Hogan ~ started well, but lacks penetration with his disposal which I think is costing him an AFL game. Tried hard.
36) Vardy ~ rucked 50% of the game. Understandably a bit apprehensive in the forward 50, but was moving well. Will play finals.
37) Eardley ~ good defensive game. First half showed some good attacking flair. Didn't notice him much in the second half (injured?)
39) Kersten ~ good game inside forward 50. Is always presenting, and has great closing speed. Adds a lot of defensive pressure to the forward line.
40) Wojcinski ~ came in and out of the game, but good game overall. More noticeable for his attack rather than defense, had his speed back and long kicks. Will be ready.
41) Stringer ~ when the weather took a turn, he lifted his game. Good in and under performance.
43) Burbury ~ has stepped up his game this year. Provides a target forward inside 50 and is becoming damaging with his disposal.
45) Hamling ~ played a bit of a switch role. Stood up today and added good defensive pressure to the forwards. Will be interesting to see what bulk does to his game.
46) Simpkin ~ typical Joffa game. Good link player and on the outside.
47) Bathie ~ continues to impress playing on talls and smalls. Is starting to read the play really well and his skills by boot are especially damaging.
50) Gleeson ~ tailor made for these conditions. Strong game providing smarts inside 50 and around the contest.
51) Selwood ~ captains game and just like Joel, stood up when needed snapping the goal to get us in front.
54) McLean ~ solid game from defense playing a lot more of a lock down role than usual given the history of Aaron Edwards.
64) Banjanin ~ close to the best for mine. Had a number of telling tackles and possessions around the ground, and was damaging with his ruck work. Great tag team with Vards.
71) Bourke ~ failed to have any impact on the game.

Thanks for rundown RR. Great to hear Vardy did well. Would be huge if he was ready for finals like you suggested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back