List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not suggesting to hold him back if starts to tear it up in the VFL every week. If that is the case, like anyone else, he has earned a senior spot.

But has he done enough right now to be best 22 if most of our team is fit ? Maybe but I think also maybe not - and I just do not want to get ahead of ourselves here. I remember Nathan Ablett kicking his first goal in the AFL and the fans were in raptures and many were talking of 'Another Ablett' in the team and what he could do for us.

I would be the happiest Cats fan if Cocky played round 1 and throughout the season and did so effectively. That he won the NAB Rising Star Award. Its not that it can't happen but the odds are against it happening. It would be long odds IMO.

But I do not want to be a killjoy either. He could be a match winner - yes you can sense that about him from limited viewing (and the fact Geelong traded 2 picks for one to ensure having a good chance of getting him) - suggests he may indeed be an X factor player - and a midfielder at that ! Just what the Doctor ordered - and that is why so many Cat's fans are excited by Cocky and (the idea of) Danger being in Cat jumpers.

Heppell and Selwood are examples that break the rule. Come in first year and be a decent AFL standard player. So it has been done but not often - and that's the point I am trying to make.
Yeah I think he has done enough to be at least in for round 1, from there who knows but on limited viewing I would easily have him ahead of Murda, and I had/have high hopes for him. I would also pick him before Smedts, he is a much more natural footballer than both those guys, plus we have Varcoe, Bundy and McCarthy from last years team to replace.
I also think he would gain a lot more from any senior outing then he would from a VFL game, but I'm also not saying he should never play VFL..
I know the Selwood, Heppell, Wines etc don't come along very often but sometimes they just might. But you have to recognise a maybe and give them that chance.
As for Rising Star etc not worried about any of those things, would be fantastic for the kid if he did win it but I certainly don't expect him to or be concerned if he didn't.

Saw some great, great things last night. He clearly has talent to burn.

I jut hope the weight of expectation is tempered as the year goes on. He will get tired. He will run out of legs. He will rpbably get smashed at some pioint.

Not saying he can't take to or deal with it but like all yr 1 players - then need to be managed and maintained.

GO Catters
It'll be interesting to see how he copes with a ball and chain hanging off him - ie a tagger. There will be 17 coaches out there, no doubt, already running their list through their head and wondering who they will match up on him.

It'll be interesting to see how he copes with a ball and chain hanging off him - ie a tagger. There will be 17 coaches out there, no doubt, already running their list through their head and wondering who they will match up on him.
But this stage there is no way he'd be tagged over SJ or Selwood.

Bolded for emphasis and agreement. Actually the thing that really sealed it for me - was his second goal - just a bullshit level of confidence for an 18 year old. Most players in his position would have handed off looking for the senior player or gotten nervous and missed it - instead he went *snap*!

He's just a natural player. He looks like he just plays the game instinctively.

Cockatoo will play round 1, and every round unless injured or being managed. The reason is he is ready to have an immediate impact and he seems to be able to stay involved in the play. Two recent players who were given the chance early to play straight away were Selwood and Varcoe, and Cockatoo will be in the same category, and at this stage looks likely to be more 'Selwood' than 'Varcoe' in his ability to give a constant effort. Cockatoo spent some time in the centre square against Adelaide and didn't look out of place (in fact he looked like he had been there his entire life!) and that was only his third game of footy since early/mid 2013!

The sub rule helps these days in blooding explosive young players like Nakia,at this stage I reckon he'll be picked in the 22 to take on the Hawks rd 1,I also don't expect him to play every game either,I'm hoping the club put Nakias and their own long term interest ahead of any conceived short term gains and bring him on at a steady pace.The last thing I want to be reading about is stress fractures and hot spots when it comes to this young talent.

Cockatoo will play round 1, and every round unless injured or being managed. The reason is he is ready to have an immediate impact and he seems to be able to stay involved in the play. Two recent players who were given the chance early to play straight away were Selwood and Varcoe, and Cockatoo will be in the same category, and at this stage looks likely to be more 'Selwood' than 'Varcoe' in his ability to give a constant effort. Cockatoo spent some time in the centre square against Adelaide and didn't look out of place (in fact he looked like he had been there his entire life!) and that was only his third game of footy since early/mid 2013!

And that right there is why he wont play every game. As you say, he will be managed. i agree Rd 1 he will get a go, and then a few more maybe but they will manage him, and fitness will be why. As highlighted, only 3 games in 2 years. And as good, great even going one he is, there is much for him to work on still. He's well on the way and will be great, just not all at once.

GO Catters

And that right there is why he wont play every game. As you say, he will be managed. i agree Rd 1 he will get a go, and then a few more maybe but they will manage him, and fitness will be why. As highlighted, only 3 games in 2 years. And as good, great even going one he is, there is much for him to work on still. He's well on the way and will be great, just not all at once.

GO Catters

I tend to agree.
Some may point to Selwood and how he came to the Cats after basically not playing the previous year, the big difference IMO is Selwood never relied on his pace or run to play, he was a smart in and under footballer so could play on a reduced endurance base. Cocky however is all about pace and explosive movement, something that would rely heavily on fitness and maybe endurance.
In saying that none of us know how much work he has done over the pre-season or even late last year, he may actually have the fitness base to see out the first 15 rounds or so and really make an impact, time will tell.
If I was Scotty and the MC, I'd play him NAB3 and round 1 and see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Varcoe spent his first full year in the VFL recovering from a foot injury sustained before he was drafted.

Hope there are no parallels with the Cocky.

Yep the lid off! It's too late to put it back on now. Lets just sit back and enjoy watching what a special talent this kid so obviously is.

In the wild when a lioness is ready to hunt, their mother lets 'em hunt no matter how old they are!

Yep unleash the beast.

The lids truly off, he's not NC, he's JC

Here are Judd's goals from his first season. I don't see a better one in there! Some similarities though.

There are undoubtedly some class goals in this package but what you will notice is how much room there is inside the 50m. Cocky won't get the same opportunities as Judd with the changes to the game.

Stand up & fight like Hell!!

after he just kicked 6 goals Im sure the mc agrees with you and think his future is in the ruck.
oh settle down Sir Serious

I was clealry just being a smartarse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back