Prediction Which player would you like to prove the critics wrong in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

In an ideal world, i'd like all our players to prove their critics wrong, but obviously that can't be the case.

So i'd like to single out Toovey, Blair and Goldsack, those three make up for all their deficiencies by playing their guts out every week and giving 110% almost every time they play, with only skills and in some regard, injuries letting them down.

They have been fantastic servants of the club, all coming from late picks, and their journey to this point has been an incredible achievement, a journey which I hope continues for many years to come.
Hard to find a better post this post season.

Thing I don't understand when people look at Frost is the lack of consideration that he was thrown in the deep end immediately and asked to play on big power forwards from day one. It's not a bad effort do have managed as well as he has.

Most other players get a more gentle introduction to their career. Start with the more minor roles and work on being a bigger contributor as they gain experience. So many times we hear "When our younger players get 50-80 games under their belt watch them really step up as AFL players".

Yet Frost doesn't get any latitude or leeway in this area. He has shown plenty of good traits and athleticism that can be built on for mine. He has a base to build on, imperfections to eradicate. Don't quite understand why so many others are seen to be on the verge of breaking out when they gain experience this possibility is discounted for Frost.

Reid was an AA and premiership player at a younger age, Cloke a B&F and Brown a premiership player.

Marsh was thrown in the deep end and showed more in 4 games in the areas that Frost is lacking than Frost has in his career to date.

He may well have it in him, but inexperience doesn't cut it for me. Put simply it is what it is with Frost and he's just a stopper which is good enough for me. His problem is it doesn't guarantee him a game when Brown is fit.

Reid was an AA and premiership player at a younger age, Cloke a B&F and Brown a premiership player.

Marsh was thrown in the deep end and showed more in 4 games in the areas that Frost is lacking than Frost has in his career to date.

He may well have it in him, but inexperience doesn't cut it for me. Put simply it is what it is with Frost and he's just a stopper which is good enough for me. His problem is it doesn't guarantee him a game when Brown is fit.
Cloke was a young tyro and one out of the box. Reid and Brown were developed and had a significant apprenticeship at the club before the achievements you list. Not sure why they link to Frosts alleged inability to improve.

Marsh is more interesting. Thrown into the deep end? I saw a significant apprenticeship and a lot of great VFL form that was crying out to be rewarded. Finally got his reward, 1st up game against Carlton ( that's Carlton, the woodenspooners) as 3rd tall on the backline. Not exactly my definition of thrown in the deep end. I love Marsh, 5 games , 10.2 possies on average, 2 marks. Not given big assignments but shown enough to really whet the appetite.

Lets look at Frost. Pick 46 in the rookie draft yet was on the senior list and playing round one of his 1st season. Did very well in that game, good stats, 3 rebound 50s. his second match was against Buddy and Roughy when we were smashed. PCL injury soon after no more senior footy. Next season started well, played every game, held Buddy to 1 goal in his 4th game (unlucky to get Buddy twice in your 1st 4 games). 1st 5 games 10.2 possies , 3 marks average. That's the deep end those 1st 5.

It's a glib statement to say Marsh has shown so much more and was thrown in the deep end. Frost had a much tougher initiation to AFL football and at least matched Marshs performances in his 1st 5 games let alone his career to date.

I just don't buy the concept Frost has already reached maximum output when he has been a fixture in the team for 2 seasons and is just reaching a stage of his career when a lot of natural improvement is normally expected. I think he has been unfairly maligned. He has plenty of tools and attributes and well as his strongly discussed shortcomings. There is no reason he cant build on these positives and start to overcome some of the negatives.

Jeremy Howe, gets described by most AFL supporters and media as a one trick pony, would love to see him put in a consistent quality season with us, showcasing more than just his propensity for the odd hanger.

Cloke was a young tyro and one out of the box. Reid and Brown were developed and had a significant apprenticeship at the club before the achievements you list. Not sure why they link to Frosts alleged inability to improve.

Marsh is more interesting. Thrown into the deep end? I saw a significant apprenticeship and a lot of great VFL form that was crying out to be rewarded. Finally got his reward, 1st up game against Carlton ( that's Carlton, the woodenspooners) as 3rd tall on the backline. Not exactly my definition of thrown in the deep end. I love Marsh, 5 games , 10.2 possies on average, 2 marks. Not given big assignments but shown enough to really whet the appetite.

Lets look at Frost. Pick 46 in the rookie draft yet was on the senior list and playing round one of his 1st season. Did very well in that game, good stats, 3 rebound 50s. his second match was against Buddy and Roughy when we were smashed. PCL injury soon after no more senior footy. Next season started well, played every game, held Buddy to 1 goal in his 4th game (unlucky to get Buddy twice in your 1st 4 games). 1st 5 games 10.2 possies , 3 marks average. That's the deep end those 1st 5.

It's a glib statement to say Marsh has shown so much more and was thrown in the deep end. Frost had a much tougher initiation to AFL football and at least matched Marshs performances in his 1st 5 games let alone his career to date.

I just don't buy the concept Frost has already reached maximum output when he has been a fixture in the team for 2 seasons and is just reaching a stage of his career when a lot of natural improvement is normally expected. I think he has been unfairly maligned. He has plenty of tools and attributes and well as his strongly discussed shortcomings. There is no reason he cant build on these positives and start to overcome some of the negatives.
Good post.

One criticism of Frosty I hear a lot is his lack of offensive weapons. In my opinion, that's more borne out of the fact that he very rarely uses them. It's a rare occurrence for him to spoil the footy, gather and take off - a rebound 50 - but he has done it. And I think, given the opportunities he should do it more often. He's really quite explosive off the mark.

Obviously his kicking is another criticism. And for mine this ones not up for discussion. He doesn't have your Ben Reid raking kick out of defence so I like that he uses his hands to give to a team mate who's better equipped to dispose of the footy.

Perhaps one slight change I'd like to see in his game at this stage would be his marking. He is spoil first. It's safe, effective and smart. But we all love a backman who backs himself to take a mark when the footy is falling to their advantage. I'd like to see that, not all the time. Just see it, so I know he's got the confidence and the ability.

Frosty is a god backman but he is behind Brown and Reid.. Prefer Marsh as a third tall/intercept option. It's not a slight on Frost that he isn't best 22, it's good the club has 4 genuine options

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cloke to prove critics wrong and kick straight.

Witts and Grundy to prove they can both contribute forward and play in the one team.

If these two things can actually occur, with Treloar, Aish and Howe coming in, means we improve and improve quickly.

Not 100% confident on either though.....

Well, if we're talking proving the critics wrong then it has the be White.
If he has a stellar season, kicking bags, demanding defenders play him tight so as to release our other forwards, proving a serviceable chop-out in the ruck, then we would be in for a huge 2015

Good post.

One criticism of Frosty I hear a lot is his lack of offensive weapons. In my opinion, that's more borne out of the fact that he very rarely uses them. It's a rare occurrence for him to spoil the footy, gather and take off - a rebound 50 - but he has done it. And I think, given the opportunities he should do it more often. He's really quite explosive off the mark.

Obviously his kicking is another criticism. And for mine this ones not up for discussion. He doesn't have your Ben Reid raking kick out of defence so I like that he uses his hands to give to a team mate who's better equipped to dispose of the footy.

Perhaps one slight change I'd like to see in his game at this stage would be his marking. He is spoil first. It's safe, effective and smart. But we all love a backman who backs himself to take a mark when the footy is falling to their advantage. I'd like to see that, not all the time. Just see it, so I know he's got the confidence and the ability.
Agree with what you say and I think it just these type of things that Frost has the potential to improve. As you say he has under-utilised tools and they are an obvious potential for improvement .

Jeremy Howe, gets described by most AFL supporters and media as a one trick pony, would love to see him put in a consistent quality season with us, showcasing more than just his propensity for the odd hanger.
Howe is a funny one, we know he's got something special, Hi Bruce, and will fill the need but hopefully he takes his game to the next level as I'm sure is in within his grasp.

Broomhead must become a regular best 22 player
Yeah I couldn't give a stuff whether he smiles or not but it's time to showcase the talent on a regular basis.

Thing I don't understand when people look at Frost is the lack of consideration that he was thrown in the deep end immediately and asked to play on big power forwards from day one. It's not a bad effort do have managed as well as he has.

Most other players get a more gentle introduction to their career. Start with the more minor roles and work on being a bigger contributor as they gain experience. So many times we hear "When our younger players get 50-80 games under their belt watch them really step up as AFL players".

Yet Frost doesn't get any latitude or leeway in this area. He has shown plenty of good traits and athleticism that can be built on for mine. He has a base to build on, imperfections to eradicate. Don't quite understand why so many others are seen to be on the verge of breaking out when they gain experience this possibility is discounted for Frost.

How is Frost going to break out then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back