WRFL Division 2 - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great game of div 2 Football out at Henry Turner yesterday.

Parkside 7 goals up, with 9 minutes to go in the second quarter, player sent off, down to 17 men.. The vales slammed on 7 in the blink of an eye. Huge momentum going into the main break

The second half was a shoot out.. Grigg at one end, O Shea at the other.. Both clunking everything, there was 5 lead changes in the last quarter, Parkside pressed hard to kick the last 3 and finished the game with more run. Surprising as they were one down on the bench from the second quarter, and played part of the game with 17. Credit to Wyndhamvale their run and spread was 1st rate, graham had it on a string in the first half. The two most attacking outfits potentially going head to head.. Cannot wait for the reverse fixture!

The width of the ground makes it easier to find space. Sounds like a no s**t kind of comment but its the way you use the space that counts. The Vales are pretty quick and have good skill. Thank god that there are at least two coaches in the Div who play an attacking brand. I watched a Div 1 game a couple of weeks back and it looked like the coaches have been listening to the AFL coaches too much. 14 players form both sides around the ball and it looked like a rugby match.
Couldn't have chosen two better sides for the conditions, easily the best skilled in the comp. In saying that I don't think the Falcons will be too disappointed with the loss, they came back from a long way down, Chris Graham played forward for large portion while Clint Mcnabb was quiet. If I was picking who had more left in the tank I'd say it was Wyndhamvale. The Falcons second string midfield impressed which can only be a good thing.

What a great game of div 2 Football out at Henry Turner yesterday.

Parkside 7 goals up, with 9 minutes to go in the second quarter, player sent off, down to 17 men.. The vales slammed on 7 in the blink of an eye. Huge momentum going into the main break

The second half was a shoot out.. Grigg at one end, O Shea at the other.. Both clunking everything, there was 5 lead changes in the last quarter, Parkside pressed hard to kick the last 3 and finished the game with more run. Surprising as they were one down on the bench from the second quarter, and played part of the game with 17. Credit to Wyndhamvale their run and spread was 1st rate, graham had it on a string in the first half. The two most attacking outfits potentially going head to head.. Cannot wait for the reverse fixture!
Nick Grigg's last quarter was outstanding, looked like he was going to hit the scoreboard every time the footy went in. I was impressed with some of the things young Nyawela did too, he fades a bit but is super exciting. Game of the year no doubt

I know its better to watch a free flowing and high scoring game, but afl or wrfl under 14's,In finals defence wins every time.

Last edited:
I know its better to watch a free flowing and high scoring game, but afl or wrfl under 14's,In finals defence wins every time.
Not if you're not kicking goals it doesn't. Ross Lyon coached teams have fallen down in Grand Finals, especially St Kilda. Yeah keep yourself in it for long enough to try and run over them but when the mindset is to defend first, running over a side is less likely because of the lack of attacking mindset. E.g. Melbourne. Defensive strategy only works when you can hurt them going the other way. You blokes did it well against Parkside a few weeks back. Defended well and cut though their zone pretty easily for most of the day.

Not if you're not kicking goals it doesn't. Ross Lyon coached teams have fallen down in Grand Finals, especially St Kilda. Yeah keep yourself in it for long enough to try and run over them but when the mindset is to defend first, running over a side is less likely because of the lack of attacking mindset. E.g. Melbourne. Defensive strategy only works when you can hurt them going the other way. You blokes did it well against Parkside a few weeks back. Defended well and cut though their zone pretty easily for most of the day.
your point is correct but even the sides that beat ross lyons teams base their game plan around defence, premiership teams dont get 16+ goals kicked against them, even if they win its a problem.

your point is correct but even the sides that beat ross lyons teams base their game plan around defence, premiership teams dont get 16+ goals kicked against them, even if they win its a problem.
Fair point but you're not going to get high scoring games like that every week. You can still get a free flowing game without the heavy scoring and have a battle of the defences. Rugby scrums should be left to the nuffies up North. I enjoy watching blokes like Maccca from Glen Orden tear it up and can't stand watching other sides clog the game up by getting massive numbers to a contest and just trying to mongrel the ball forward.

Is the WRFL going to do anything about the asphalt-like crickets pitch surfaces in the centre of most grounds?!
When conditions are dry they are very dangerous for midfielders and ruckman.
Water the bloody things on the day or put a layer of sand, do something.

Is the WRFL going to do anything about the asphalt-like crickets pitch surfaces in the centre of most grounds?!
When conditions are dry they are very dangerous for midfielders and ruckman.
Water the bloody things on the day or put a layer of sand, do something.
Wouldn't that be the responsibility with clubs communicating with their local council?

Wouldn't that be the responsibility with clubs communicating with their local council?

They have much of the responsibility but they obviously don't really give a damn. And this is a problem with many of the grounds I see, not just an anomaly. Any solution would be great though.

I actually can't believe footy is allowed to be played with a cricket pitch in the middle. Its so dangerous and its always been my view that it had to be completely covered or removed for footy to be played on it.

I actually can't believe footy is allowed to be played with a cricket pitch in the middle. Its so dangerous and its always been my view that it had to be completely covered or removed for footy to be played on it.

Most are turf wickets that are the issue. when dry, they might as well be concrete.

I know in the Vafa, that there is a ground inspection required for games to commence - which needs to be signed off by both clubs.

There is a check list, and each club has the opportunity to raise complaints before a game goes ahead. The difficulty is there has to be someone with enough balls to stand infront of two clubs and say that the game is delayed/postponed as the ground is unsafe and have people actually try and rectify the issue before the game starts.

Of course, clubs should be checking grounds regularly to ensure its safe for all participants, and reporting any hazards or potential hazards to the Council and the League during the weeks, and if the league is pro-active, they should be inspecting the grounds on Fridays to ensure that they are safe.

Now I know that the WRFL office staff only like to leave the offices for long lunches and not much else, but they really need to step it up a gear. especially if there are injuries or potential injuries that could have been prevented with communication and a bit of effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any reason why the Reserves scores from Glen Order V S/Lakes and Heights V Braybrook games are not on the WRFL website I have noticed that some clubs are very slack with entering scores on the website for all to see.

Totally agree it is very dangerous for footy to be played this rubber stuff that is put down on hard wickets is clearly so they can save money.
Can this sort of thing be taken further eg.Court action if someone gets a serious injury due to the pitch not being properly covered?
Surly this would be a big issue for the council, club or the league.

I know in the Vafa, that there is a ground inspection required for games to commence - which needs to be signed off by both clubs.

There is a check list, and each club has the opportunity to raise complaints before a game goes ahead. The difficulty is there has to be someone with enough balls to stand infront of two clubs and say that the game is delayed/postponed as the ground is unsafe and have people actually try and rectify the issue before the game starts.

Of course, clubs should be checking grounds regularly to ensure its safe for all participants, and reporting any hazards or potential hazards to the Council and the League during the weeks, and if the league is pro-active, they should be inspecting the grounds on Fridays to ensure that they are safe.

Now I know that the WRFL office staff only like to leave the offices for long lunches and not much else, but they really need to step it up a gear. especially if there are injuries or potential injuries that could have been prevented with communication and a bit of effort.

There is a checklist system in the WRFL as well, at least when I was involved with the league up until a few years back. However, it only involved officials from the first game on that ground that day which may not be the same clubs as a game played later in the day and would not take into account the ground possibly deteriorating over the day (apologies is system has since changed).

Yes, as the umpire later in the day, I came under extreme pressure for not allowing a match to begin (was the 3rd match of 4 on that day) due to a large hole (not a divot) at least 6" deep and a foot wide between the boundary and the fence. I was old and ugly enough to stand my ground but I can imagine younger umpires being intimated by older club officials who need to understand that player safety comes first. Game did proceed but only after the hole was filled and levelled.

There is a checklist system in the WRFL as well, at least when I was involved with the league up until a few years back. However, it only involved officials from the first game on that ground that day which may not be the same clubs as a game played later in the day and would not take into account the ground possibly deteriorating over the day (apologies is system has since changed).

Yes, as the umpire later in the day, I came under extreme pressure for not allowing a match to begin (was the 3rd match of 4 on that day) due to a large hole (not a divot) at least 6" deep and a foot wide between the boundary and the fence. I was old and ugly enough to stand my ground but I can imagine younger umpires being intimated by older club officials who need to understand that player safety comes first. Game did proceed but only after the hole was filled and levelled.
The VAFA system is that a ground inspection sheet must be filled before each game. so if there is an U18, Reserves then Seniors game at the one ground, then three inspections and relevant sheets are to be filled in.
This is signed off by the two participating teams and then submitted to the umpires. The umpires also submit their own report on the ground and facilities so its covered. Insurance companies love that stuff, but it ensures that the games are always played in a safe environment, and if its not, then its the fault of both clubs, and umpires, and moreso the host club who hasn't rectified any problems during the week, but wear and tear during the day can be addressed through the day.

Its the little differences like that where the Ammos seem to be ahead of the suburban leagues. I find the WRFL to be very reactionary rather than proactive. too many people who forward emails and think their job is done...........

The VAFA system is that a ground inspection sheet must be filled before each game. so if there is an U18, Reserves then Seniors game at the one ground, then three inspections and relevant sheets are to be filled in.
This is signed off by the two participating teams and then submitted to the umpires. The umpires also submit their own report on the ground and facilities so its covered. Insurance companies love that stuff, but it ensures that the games are always played in a safe environment, and if its not, then its the fault of both clubs, and umpires, and moreso the host club who hasn't rectified any problems during the week, but wear and tear during the day can be addressed through the day.

Its the little differences like that where the Ammos seem to be ahead of the suburban leagues. I find the WRFL to be very reactionary rather than proactive. too many people who forward emails and think their job is done...........
Well maybe when point cook come across to the WRFL next year like I keep hearing you can be proactive in getting this sorted?

The cricket pitches are a issue that we keep taking to the local council, however we have been told that the black rubber that they put on the pitch is all they can do because covering the pitch we have with dirt will destroy it. We also told them at our own cost we will lay plastic down and cover it with dirt but it was still a NO.

Well maybe when point cook come across to the WRFL next year like I keep hearing you can be proactive in getting this sorted?

The cricket pitches are a issue that we keep taking to the local council, however we have been told that the black rubber that they put on the pitch is all they can do because covering the pitch we have with dirt will destroy it. We also told them at our own cost we will lay plastic down and cover it with dirt but it was still a NO.

Point cook are a mile off coming across to the WRFL, don't worry about that.

No Chance, your hearing wrong

Very quite on here as of late but now the queens birthday weekend is done n now its getting down to business my tips for the weekend are

Glenorden over braybrook by 100+
Caroline springs over sunny heights by 50+
Parkside over laverton 100+
North footscray over north sunshine by 100+
Albanvale over sancuary lakes by 25 pts
West footscray to beat manor lakes by 20 goals
Wyndhamvale to beat tarneit by 100+

Herd a rumour today that money lakes had a meeting with one of the Geelong leagues last night to see if they got excepted wrfl would not be happy with that

Glenorden over braybrook by 110
Caroline springs over sunny heights by 60
Parkside over laverton 150
North footscray over north sunshine by 135
Sanctuary Lakes over Albanvale by 10 points
West footscray over manor lakes by 80 points
Wyndhamvale to beat tarneit by 160

Cant believe whitey is getting a game at cs in the 1s. Gee the depth at that joint must be ruddy shithouse. There bottom 5 players are absolutely disgusting and thats the reason they will never get close to a top 4 side. Keep up the good job paul growcott. I think you are coaching still.

Gee the depth at that joint must be ruddy shithouse. There bottom 5 players are absolutely disgusting and thats the reason they will never get close to a top 4 side.

You are a good judge clown,pretty sure wingy,Rizzo ,king played today in the magoos

Average weekend but next week looks like better, Parkside V Wests, Tarneit V Lavo and Manor Lakes V North Footscray should be close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back