WRFL Division 2 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh absolutely agree...North Sunshine have done well holding the club together..thought it would be them pulling the pin well b4 Sunshine Heights....Does make it hard in older areas,especially with so many clubs so close together and to keep bringing in players with so little juniors...might have to be a merge somewhere down the line...

North sunshine dragons perhaps??

Would be beneficial to both clubs... Heights still have some form of identity and North sunshine get new players which would make them much more competitive

Would be beneficial to both clubs... Heights still have some form of identity and North sunshine get new players which would make them much more competitive
might be good move for both parties.....Which ground do they use do you think?

It's a bit of a joke really isn't it. The league brings 4 new teams in Tarneit, Manor Lakes, Sanctuary Lakes and now the Sunns and within 3 years two of the original clubs of the comp are struggling to get the numbers to field a side.
It would be a crime for both Heights and Parkside to have to close up shop.
Pretty obvious message to the league though, there aren't enough people interested in the western suburbs for a 25 team competition, there also isn't enough money in the lower divisions to recruit players from outside of the demographic. If they did want more teams they should have been pushing harder to draw in more established clubs like Melton or Rockbank that would have been less likely to steal players from existing wrfl clubs. Like they did with Werribee (even though Werribee did draw a few of their juniors back).

That being said I believe there was supposed to be a crisis meeting at Parkside last night. If anybody knows what the outcome was I would love to hear about it!

="calder_daddy, post: 37361396, member: 30642"]He is not playing no.
We had to talk him into last season
But he didn't walk out and a much loved player and was at the ground supporting
A big loss[/QUOTE]

That's no good I remember him giving Parkside a bit of grief in one of the finals a couple of years ago. Looked a very handy player I think he might have even made team of the year before Kennedy came to the comp amd started dominating.

Did you fellas pick anyone up to fill the hole?

If the Heights players were happy to drop down to div 3 it could definitely work! Anything to keep the clubs heads above water.

It's a great idea that has been proven to work with the Yarraville-Seddon Eagles winning a flag and making a cameo in div 1

It's a bit of a joke really isn't it. The league brings 4 new teams in Tarneit, Manor Lakes, Sanctuary Lakes and now the Sunns and within 3 years two of the original clubs of the comp are struggling to get the numbers to field a side.
It would be a crime for both Heights and Parkside to have to close up shop.
Pretty obvious message to the league though, there aren't enough people interested in the western suburbs for a 25 team competition, there also isn't enough money in the lower divisions to recruit players from outside of the demographic. If they did want more teams they should have been pushing harder to draw in more established clubs like Melton or Rockbank that would have been less likely to steal players from existing wrfl clubs. Like they did with Werribee (even though Werribee did draw a few of their juniors back).

That being said I believe there was supposed to be a crisis meeting at Parkside last night. If anybody knows what the outcome was I would love to hear about it!

Fair argument, but not seeing too many clearances from Parkside to any of those clubs listed and don't think any of those new Wyndham based clubs have impacted either of those sides you mentioned from 30 kilometres and more away (in Parkside's case). Some of the clearances from Heights are to the ammos but these I assume are returing to Pt.Cook having done the reverse trip last season.

Let's hope both clubs can survive this downturn and Parkside in particular restore their full junior compliment they had only 6-8 years ago. There are no other central Footscray based clubs and none north of Essex St, east of Ashley St and north to Highpoint. That's a massive area to draw from, some of it newly created. Heights are working hard to restore their junior program, would be a shame if they were unable to follow through with it.

if I were running the wrfl id be putting a stop to allowing clubs to have juniors in the league and the seniors play elsewhere if you want your juniors in our comp then so must the seniors

Works very well in the edfl

The WRFL are a bunch of Buffoons with no vision, and only look at the $$$$ coming in. They have no interest in the sustainability of the clubs or any sort of Equilibrium in the league. These people are actually payed employees, earning a living off the teet of the clubs powered by volunteers, yet what do they offer the clubs in return? Time for AFL Victoria to move in and stop Bob and his minions from taking the piss.

heard that sunny heights are struggling bigtime and that they may be in more strife than Parkside

goesbangfrom50 whats happening down glengala rd??

Am not involved with the senior side this season so I don't have any inside info but numbers have not been great early in pre season. Seems to have picked up a bit recently so I wouldn't think there is any issue with fielding a side this year. I am pretty sure that the club has been in worse positions plenty of times in the past and made it through ok. Forget any talk of a merge... will never happen.

On a positive note we have an Auskick (4th year this year) up and running and 3 junior teams confirmed (with a fourth close to filling up) so I would say that we are at the bottom of a cycle and would expect things to move upwards over the coming 2 - 5 years.

These things work in cycles for most clubs. People forget that in 1998 we were in Division 3 and Deer Park were probably the dominant team in Div 1. 10 years later we won a Division two flag and promotion to Div 1 while Deer Park did not even make finals in Div 2 that same year.... things change!!!

if I were running the wrfl id be putting a stop to allowing clubs to have juniors in the league and the seniors play elsewhere if you want your juniors in our comp then so must the seniors

Careful mate. I shared the same thoughts 5 years ago and Offseason Storm has been crying about it ever since. Still stalks my posts on here till this day :)

The WRFL are a bunch of Buffoons with no vision, and only look at the $$$$ coming in. They have no interest in the sustainability of the clubs or any sort of Equilibrium in the league. These people are actually payed employees, earning a living off the teet of the clubs powered by volunteers, yet what do they offer the clubs in return? Time for AFL Victoria to move in and stop Bob and his minions from taking the piss.

I agree that the league do not care a great deal for all clubs. Especially around the Sunshine area where there are so many teams. The league would have hired some consultant who produced a set of figures that showed the growth in the Wyndham area for the next ten years and based on that they have decided that is the way to go.

Get as many new teams in that area as soon as possible to ensure that the population growth is catered for and if we lose a few along the way from Sunshine ... bad luck. In 10 years time the League HQ will be based somewhere in the Wyndham area.... LOCK THAT IN!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Careful mate. I shared the same thoughts 5 years ago and Offseason Storm has been crying about it ever since. Still stalks my posts on here till this day :)

Lol

Valid point remains valid makes sense for the league to do it

Oh I thought you were referring to a different poster around here that is of belief that the vafa is be all and end all

I agree that the league do not care a great deal for all clubs. Especially around the Sunshine area where there are so many teams. The league would have hired some consultant who produced a set of figures that showed the growth in the Wyndham area for the next ten years and based on that they have decided that is the way to go.

Get as many new teams in that area as soon as possible to ensure that the population growth is catered for and if we lose a few along the way from Sunshine ... bad luck. In 10 years time the League HQ will be based somewhere in the Wyndham area.... LOCK THAT IN!!

Good point

In time the subshine area will swing back around once the oldies remaining in the area have died off.... Young families buy their homes and renovate them and the area has lots of young kids again and maybe the suburb becomes a bit more gentrified

That will only help the clubs in the area if they are the type of families that want their kids to play footy if you get my drift

="calder_daddy, post: 37361396, member: 30642"]He is not playing no.
We had to talk him into last season
But he didn't walk out and a much loved player and was at the ground supporting
A big loss

That's no good I remember him giving Parkside a bit of grief in one of the finals a couple of years ago. Looked a very handy player I think he might have even made team of the year before Kennedy came to the comp amd started dominating.

Did you fellas pick anyone up to fill the hole?[/QUOTE]

We didn't necessarily recruit to fill the hole, we feel as our back up ruckman can fill in very well also we have a player who took last year off in Josh Callahan off and is back playing. A good CHF and ruckman

Williamstown, Werribee Centrals, st.bernards, PEGS and Point Cook. Before the last two years, throw in Werribee Districts and Wyndham Suns.

Ban their juniors, and good luck getting those clubs back.

There is a little thing called restraint of trade, where the WRFL are powerless to enforce that arrangement. Believe me, its been tried.

There is a little thing called restraint of trade, where the WRFL are powerless to enforce that arrangement. Believe me, its been tried.

Wouldn't have thought the wrfl are under any obligation

In the edfl if you don't have a full book of juniors you're out and the clubs that fallen down in that area work their asses off to reinstate all junior sides... Obviously that wouldn't work in the wrfl though

You make a bit of sense. If this was done a few years back they should have made a strong team in Sunshine and played out of Skinner reserve. That was one of the best grounds with good facilities that just got abandoned and I think soccer is on there now.
Another idea would be to let sides that merge have 2 senior teams. You know what I mean, 1 in div1 and another in div3. Then maybe all the 3 Sunshine teams could merge. More players bring more supporters and more money and build a successful club..

What happens to Braybrook long term?? Do they also jump in with Sunshine but they have a lot of history and won't want to change their name.. Can they tap into Parkside as they used to get along well..

Laverton need a club their for the kids in the area. The league should help them as its an area with plenty of kids..

West Footscray and North Footscray merge and and be called Footscray District and get some affiliation with Footscray VFL. Could maybe even play home games on Whitten oval and train at Nth Footscray. This is the most likely one IMO..

Do Albanvale try and get in with Deer Park somehow as they are very close..

Even Albion might struggle in years ahead as its a small housing area with a lot of factories around. Good ground and facilities though but they need some assistance. Another club with a lot of history.. Hope they can regroup..

Spotty, Altona, Yarraville/Seddon, Deer Park, Hoppers, Werribee all should be ok..

Sorry if I missed any club..

You make a bit of sense. If this was done a few years back they should have made a strong team in Sunshine and played out of Skinner reserve. That was one of the best grounds with good facilities that just got abandoned and I think soccer is on there now.
Another idea would be to let sides that merge have 2 senior teams. You know what I mean, 1 in div1 and another in div3. Then maybe all the 3 Sunshine teams could merge. More players bring more supporters and more money and build a successful club..

What happens to Braybrook long term?? Do they also jump in with Sunshine but they have a lot of history and won't want to change their name.. Can they tap into Parkside as they used to get along well..

Laverton need a club their for the kids in the area. The league should help them as its an area with plenty of kids..

West Footscray and North Footscray merge and and be called Footscray District and get some affiliation with Footscray VFL. Could maybe even play home games on Whitten oval and train at Nth Footscray. This is the most likely one IMO..

Even Albion might struggle in years ahead as its a small housing area with a lot of factories around. Good ground and facilities though but they need some assistance. Another club with a lot of history.. Hope they can regroup..

Spotty, Altona, Yarraville/Seddon, Deer Park, Hoppers, Werribee all should be ok..

You've just halved the amount of clubs in the league with all those mergers turbo:p

You've just halved the amount of clubs in the league with all those mergers turbo:p

G'day mate,
Yeah the league won't be happy. Lol. Trying to build strong clubs for sustainability.
Could keep their home base for juniors and focus on this but have a good senior club run by smart business people.
It would be interesting to find out if clubs like Braybrook and Albanvale like the current set up in playing with mates but with small crowds and below par facilities, not to mention all the hard work by volunteers. Or would they prefer to play to be involved in building a new club and enjoy the spoils.
It's not an easy one and I'm not saying I agree but just putting it out there for conversation. But these things need engagement not to be a take over and swallow up the smaller clubs..

Turbo are you for real..........asking North Footscray and West Footscray to merge is like telling Collingwood and Carlton to merge

Turbo are you for real..........asking North Footscray and West Footscray to merge is like telling Collingwood and Carlton to merge

Yeah understand Ando, just some conversation mate. I know it might not happen but consider they are both close in area, both wear red & white and both have Footscray in there name. Not sure what things are like at shorten res these days but last time i was there the ground and facilities were ordinary..Would be such an easy transition if it was to happen.

Williamstown, Werribee Centrals, st.bernards, PEGS and Point Cook. Before the last two years, throw in Werribee Districts and Wyndham Suns.

Wont get them back anyway
Let them go and let's see how those clubs go with their juniors having to drive to other side of city.

Time to stop pandering to these teams that will never join the WRFL

How many parents will drive their 12-16 year old son to lilydale and mornington every year ? Next to zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back