WRFL Division 2 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wont get them back anyway
Let them go and let's see how those clubs go with their juniors having to drive to other side of city.

Time to stop pandering to these teams that will never join the WRFL

How many parents will drive their 12-16 year old son to lilydale and mornington every year ? Next to zero
No worries mate......

Restraint of trade.........

No worries mate......

Restraint of trade.........

TT you usually post stuff that makes sense.

I am not saying that you are wrong in saying that the WRFL cant force out junior teams (who have seniors in other comps) but the restraint of trade line is stretching things a bit.

Restraint of trade is "something that restricts a persons right to carry on their trade or profession". Unless these junior footballers are earning a living from playing the game I cant see how it is restraint of trade

Wouldn't have thought the wrfl are under any obligation

In the edfl if you don't have a full book of juniors you're out and the clubs that fallen down in that area work their asses off to reinstate all junior sides... Obviously that wouldn't work in the wrfl though
Because AFL Victoria have no other suitable solution without discrimination against a club that they have approved and ratified the clubs decisions.
This has been taken to court/tribunals and ran and won.
The WRFL and PCFC now have a good working relationship.
There are no plans for the seniors to play WRFL, but Werribee were the same at one stage too.
I'm not speculating, I'm giving you the run down of why we have sides in both competitions

Because AFL Victoria have no other suitable solution without discrimination against a club that they have approved and ratified the clubs decisions.
This has been taken to court/tribunals and ran and won.
The WRFL and PCFC now have a good working relationship.
There are no plans for the seniors to play WRFL, but Werribee were the same at one stage too.
I'm not speculating, I'm giving you the run down of why we have sides in both competitions

I don't dispute any of what you are saying... apart from the fact that it is "restraint of trade". Nobody is being denied an opportunity to earn a living so that part is incorrect. Probably being a bit picky

I don't dispute any of what you are saying... apart from the fact that it is "restraint of trade". Nobody is being denied an opportunity to earn a living so that part is incorrect. Probably being a bit picky
The club is incorparated therefore has the right to generate revenue.

WRFL are the only league in Melbourne that allow juniors to play without seniors so must only be them that is bound by this restraint of trade rule

Williamstown, Werribee Centrals, st.bernards, PEGS and Point Cook. Before the last two years, throw in Werribee Districts and Wyndham Suns.

Ban their juniors, and good luck getting those clubs back.

There is a little thing called restraint of trade, where the WRFL are powerless to enforce that arrangement. Believe me, its been tried.

I'm not advocating banning juniors of these clubs, I want to see kids playing footy and for the WRFL to become a bigger, stronger league but I am curious. If its a restraint of trade if the WRFL wanted to ban the juniors, how do the EDFL get away with it?

Remembering St.Bernards were in the EDFL before they were forced to leave for the WRFL, because their seniors play in the VAFA and wouldn't play EDFL.

I'm not advocating banning juniors of these clubs, I want to see kids playing footy and for the WRFL to become a bigger, stronger league but I am curious. If its a restraint of trade if the WRFL wanted to ban the juniors, how do the EDFL get away with it?

Remembering St.Bernards were in the EDFL before they were forced to leave for the WRFL, because their seniors play in the VAFA and wouldn't play EDFL.

Pegs were also in the edfl in their early days

The EDFL have options for there clubs to play in neighbouring competitions.
They have obviously got thier mandate in earlier than the WRFL, and having competitions either side of them helps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the very least the league should ensure that if you want to play in Div 1, you have to have a full book of juniors playing in the WRFL. Port Colts, Parkside, Sunshine currently don't meet this criteria, and should be forced to work harder to make this happen. It's not easy, and requires more resources, but as we can see with 2 of the above, it's only a matter of time before it catches up with you.

At the very least the league should ensure that if you want to play in Div 1, you have to have a full book of juniors playing in the WRFL. Port Colts, Parkside, Sunshine currently don't meet this criteria, and should be forced to work harder to make this happen. It's not easy, and requires more resources, but as we can see with 2 of the above, it's only a matter of time before it catches up with you.

If you replaced them with sides from lower divisions with full juniors but the seniors aren't up to standard you're just replacing one problem with another

If you replaced them with sides from lower divisions with full juniors but the seniors aren't up to standard you're just replacing one problem with another

RDJFL and RDFNL are separate leagues, works well.

No what you do, is you make them work hard to ensure that they get the resources to help build a junior program. Sure demographics play a part, but how can a club like Albion continue to have juniors, yes other clubs can't? It's called apathy, and creates an uneven playing field, whereby Albion spread their resources across a whole club development, as opposed to Parkside who focus purely on 2 teams. If you make it easy for clubs by not making juniors a non negotiable, then some of them will take the easy option.

No what you do, is you make them work hard to ensure that they get the resources to help build a junior program. Sure demographics play a part, but how can a club like Albion continue to have juniors, yes other clubs can't? It's called apathy, and creates an uneven playing field, whereby Albion spread their resources across a whole club development, as opposed to Parkside who focus purely on 2 teams. If you make it easy for clubs by not making juniors a non negotiable, then some of them will take the easy option.

It is definitely not as easy as you say. Demographics play a huge part, and it is definitely not through lack of trying that many clubs dont have juniors. Many committees at many clubs have poured blood sweat and tears trying to get junior teams together, and merged teams at junior level have been a fact of life in the competition for 20 years. Not sure where you get your info from, but I know Port Colts and Parkside would be included in those clubs who have tried as hard they can to re-establish juniors, Sunshine have as many junior teams as Albion, and as far Albion developing a whole club, they are broke due to cash thrown at winning a flag a couple of years ago. Soccer clubs are getting their act together after a long time as complete rabble. That is the most ominous sign of all. Popular game with the kids and the parents, easier to field a team, and clubs are popping up everywhere.

It is definitely not as easy as you say. Demographics play a huge part, and it is definitely not through lack of trying that many clubs dont have juniors. Many committees at many clubs have poured blood sweat and tears trying to get junior teams together, and merged teams at junior level have been a fact of life in the competition for 20 years. Not sure where you get your info from, but I know Port Colts and Parkside would be included in those clubs who have tried as hard they can to re-establish juniors, Sunshine have as many junior teams as Albion, and as far Albion developing a whole club, they are broke due to cash thrown at winning a flag a couple of years ago. Soccer clubs are getting their act together after a long time as complete rabble. That is the most ominous sign of all. Popular game with the kids and the parents, easier to field a team, and clubs are popping up everywhere.
You make some good points. I agree it's not easy, but it is definitely an issue the league needs to work with the clubs on moving forward.

The fact that kids sleep with smart iPhones/tablets under their pillows...what with the MTV and the rap music and the gameboxes...childhood obesity is on the rise...sad truth is that there are a lot of fat little blobs out there now that don't have any interest in playing sport or exercising.
Maybe is not so much a demographic issue but more of a generational issue?

In a nutshell is the vision should have been there years ago to know this (as others leagues did to a degree but this is the next level up) and you formulate a plan to revamp and rebadge the WRFL for say 2017 or 2018. It allows 2-3 years to say that a structure will be in place whereby certain criteria (set now or ASAP) for all clubs to get there house in order and submissions will be made for 1st Division whereby ALL clubs wanting to be considered must have (for example)- under 12's, 14's, 16's, 18's, reserves and seniors in the WRFL. There must be all other criteria met and then preference given to current teams in 1st div at the time and then work down the list. It allows clubs to take stock of where they are now, where they want to be and then resources allocated to help clubs achieve their desired goals... Some may take the defeatist, s**t, crap, negative stance and blame others and the ones that want to excel will make the necessary changes and get on with it, some may choose to Merge to get there and others will drop back and lament.
Then only teams that satisfy that criteria will be eligible to compete in Div 2 finals regardless of standing at years end (giving them a further years chance to get their house in order).
That is planning, vision and being progressive...

Some valid points there but junior particpation is getting harder and harder.
All clubs in Div 1 and 2 should have to have under 18s as a standard with all Div 1 clubs also needing 16s, 14s, 12s, 10s and Auskick.
Div 2 clubs who win the premiership can only be promoted once they also show they can achieve all of these requirements.
Points should be docked for a team who wins a premiership and fails to achieve certain criteria the following year in Div 2.
This would stop teams choosing to stay in Div 2 and dominate with 3 teams only.
There also needs to be a financial reward offered to the Div 2 team stepping up.
Whether it is equipment from a supplier plus cash, or cash only there needs to be an incentive as well as a helping hand.
They also need to look at the Spotswoods and Hoppers of the comp who stockpile juniors in As, Bs and C's. These kids should be playing at the other clubs in their areas. This is a difficult one though as we don't want to be turning kids away.

I like this post and it would be good for the league to understand what happened at Albion. They were up there playing finals a few years ago and then bang, down near the bottom a few years later, no in between. I believe the current President has been left with the mess to clean up, and his doing a good job to keep it afloat..
Do clubs just see 1 thing or have a plan?? It's a good start to have a competitive senior team however when you start to see an increase in revenue due to this be smart and invest the profits into the club, not just getting more senior players or increasing player payment to match offers from elsewhere.. Be smart..
How does Spotty stay competitive each year and have juniors. They are smart and don't try and beat offers. They have lost there best player in Cloke but I can bet they have a replacement, yes won't be as good but they go again

PS: I don't like Spotty, actually hate them but they are a successful club. Stayed up the top for many years and haven't bottomed out.. That's something to be extremely proud off..

Spotty also have plenty of sponsors and a lot of their ex players are probably in coteries etc
Spotty have always poached good juniors from other teams such as Altona etc which makes them stronger.
They are also in an area of $$$ unlike Albion/ Sunshine who need to work their butts off for sponsors and juniors.
One thing about both of those clubs is that they have stayed up in Div 1 for a long time now which is a testament to the tireless workers at the club. Players come and go but it is the back room staff that keep the clubs ticking.
I think the league needs to reward clubs for being in Div 1 and achieving a full junior roster and auskick. Perhaps have a tiered league fee depending on what level you achieve.
Something needs to give or else we will see more clubs looking like parkside this year

They also need to look at the Spotswoods and Hoppers of the comp who stockpile juniors in As, Bs and C's. These kids should be playing at the other clubs in their areas. This is a difficult one though as we don't want to be turning kids away.

This is a big problem in the edfl too... Super clubs getting bigger and bigger... Making more money from junior regos that go towards senior payments plus the club having a bigger pool of players to draw from also poaching talented kids from lower div clubs with the lure of playing A grade

Keeps them in the top divs

I don't think the answer is capping the super clubs numbers as kids wanna play with their mates and you might lose them to footy altogether and you can't punish the super clubs for being better run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back