When the bar is lowered, Freo go lower

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me how this is good for the development of the youth of the Freo footy club? This is what happens when you go for a nothing but youth policy.
a lot of those guys out there tonight wouldn't have played if we had a healthy list

not making excuses but we are one club who can't afford to have a lot of injuries because of the crud at the bottom end of our list

Pavlich, Headland, Sandilands, Johnson, Hayden, Crowley and Palmer. That's 7 of our best 18 out

another useless stat.

Usually when one team registers a low score it might imply bad conditions or low-scoring from both sides. Tonight was not such an occasion. There have only been 3 instances of a team scoring less than Fremantle's 1.7.13 and losing by 100 points. St Kilda twice in 1899 and once in 1902. Being compared to St Kilda from that era is not flattering. St Kilda won just 2 of their first 100 games in the VFL!!!

a lot of those guys out there tonight wouldn't have played if we had a healthy list

not making excuses but we are one club who can't afford to have a lot of injuries because of the crud at the bottom end of our list

Pavlich, Headland, Sandilands, Johnson, Hayden, Crowley and Palmer. That's 7 of our best 18 out

Yeah, I understand, but it shows the dangers of completely cutting depth players. Pick up a few injuries and you're completely screwed.

Thats exactly the point, right now Hawthorn are the biggest disgrace in the competition.

Fremantle are poor tonight, but injuries / poor list management have mean't we have a side that MAY be competitive at WAFL level.

I'm disapointed, but as a freo supporter its nothing new....Murphy should be left in Adelaide though...

You're deluded if you believe that and you have become as soft as the playing core you support .And I hope these sentiments expressed by you are not felt by the majority of your supporter base ....fcol :eek:

Can someone tell me how this is good for the development of the youth of the Freo footy club? This is what happens when you go for a nothing but youth policy.

umm Hawks.....

No it's what happens when you for an all youth policy with one of the worst coaches in the modern era.

another useless stat.

Usually when one team registers a low score it might imply bad conditions or low-scoring from both sides. Tonight was not such an occasion. There have only been 3 instances of a team scoring less than Fremantle's 1.7.13 and losing by 100 points. St Kilda twice in 1899 and once in 1902. Being compared to St Kilda from that era is not flattering. St Kilda won just 2 of their first 100 games in the VFL!!!

Good post and a sorry revelation... its not just the low score... but in conditions where the other team scored well...

PS, when you do get good, at least you guys can be: "I was there when we were s**t".

This, i can tell my childeren how bad my team used to be. Even though they lose like this though I will always stick with my team. I will always hate those who bandwagon onto any team and the true supporters are those who will stick it through the tough times (which are a little too many for my liking).

Well its brisbane next week and i can go to subi and hope we will better one goal in the match!

This, i can tell my childeren how bad my team used to be. Even though they lose like this though I will always stick with my team. I will always hate those who bandwagon onto any team and the true supporters are those who will stick it through the tough times (which are a little too many for my liking).

Well its brisbane next week and i can go to subi and hope we will better one goal in the match!

All true supporters have been through bad times:mad:- its your turn. respect:thumbsu:

ooooo man that was ugly.

95th team in history to score only 1 goal.
first team since carlton in 1991 to score 1 goal.
11th team since WWII finished (1946 season onwards) to score 1 goal.
equal 59th lowest score in history.
equal 4th lowest score since 1916.
lowest score since richmond 0.8 in 1961.
equal 94th greatest margin in history.
equal largest loss in fremantle's history.
4th largest victory in adelaide's history.

percantage of 1000 in a single game since 1912
fitzroy 0.6 (6) v footscray 10.6 (66) 1953 : 1100%
Melbourne 0.8 (8) v Sth Melb 13.8 (86) 1912 : 1075%
Richmond 0.8 (8) v St Kilda 12.19 (91) 1961 : 1137%
Hawthorn 1.7 (13) v Melbourne 21.28 (154) 1926 : 1184%
St Kilda 2.6 (18) v Sth Melb 29.15 (189) 1919 : 1050%
Fremantle 1.7 (13) v Adelaide 19.16 (130) 2009 : 1000%

Also worth noting:
Sth Melbourne 2.7 (19) v Essendon 28.16 (184) 1964 : 968%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ooooo man that was ugly.

Also worth noting:

Not sure where you got your stats, but this is incorrect. Fitzroy kicked a goal with its only scoring shot for the day, into time-on in the last quarter. It was kicked by Alan (Baron) Ruthven who roved a tap out from a throw-in in the forward pocket.

Not sure where you got your stats, but this is incorrect. Fitzroy kicked a goal with its only scoring shot for the day, into time-on in the last quarter. It was kicked by Alan (Baron) Ruthven who roved a tap out from a throw-in in the forward pocket.

yeah you're right. i was looking at a list of lowest scores and saw the 6 v 66 and must've just re-read fitzroy's scoreline incorrectly from the game below when i was typing it.

incidentally i'm impressed you know of the full nature of the goal in question (Y) good get.

also freo's 0.1 in the first half is only 29th time ever a team has had 0.1 or 0.0 at half time. only the 6th from 1916 onwards. the 13th one point half (or worse) half since 1916.

damn... are you pulling our leg, or do you really remember this?

were you there that day?

Some of the s**t we're copping on this thread is warranted after tonight but some of it is as crap our performance.

Where to start...?

fremantle on the other half are a rabble. they've won nothing. and the most disappointing thing about it is that this might be the worst loss in their history - yet they will continue to do nothing about it. their coach and their fans will continue to go on about a rebuilding list, not realising that the argument is and always was a moot point when mark harvey is taking mark johnson to freo with him.

Speaking of moot points how long are eagles supporters going to roll out this Johnson crap?

Admittedly when Harves took over he made the mistake of thinking we had a talented list that was being poorly coached by CC. Pretty much the same thinking that most of you bigfooty 'experts' had at the time. Johnson was recruited with the thinking that Harves could extract the potential from our list that made the prelim and have one more crack at the title.

When Harves realised the true extent of our list he cut his losses and embarked on a full rebuild. Trying to argue that our rebuild is 'moot' because of someone who was recruited and then delisted the year before is ridiculous.

Yeah, I understand, but it shows the dangers of completely cutting depth players. Pick up a few injuries and you're completely screwed.

We cut all our top age players, not our depth players. The problem is CC and Schwab left a gaping hole in our list, meaning all our 20-25 year olds who should be providing depth are all pissweak nancy boys.

At the moment we're relying on a bunch of senior players and a bunch of teenage rookies. It's going to take at least one more delisting period for Harvey to get rid of all the crap in the middle.

Our problem right now is all our senior players are injured and all our mid-aged 'depth' players are letting us down badly.

I don't know how Mark Harvey escapes criticism.

Have you been living in a cave on the moon or something? Harvey cops more criticism than pretty much any coach in the AFL, especially now Wallace and Laidley are gone.

Barely a day goes by without us hearing about what a crap coach the whole of Australia thinks he is.

ooooo man that was ugly.

Also worth noting:

Nice bunch of stats there.

Perhaps it might have been worth noting that the eagles only scored a whole 5 more points than Freo in their Windy Hill massacre in 89. To put that in context it's about a one metre difference to the right in one of our shots at goal.

Might have also been worth noting that their opponents scored 5 more goals than Freo's did tonight.

Might have also been worth noting that that game wasn't far off your magical 1000% mark either.

Might have also been worth noting the eagle won the flag 3 years later.

Perhaps it might have been worth noting that the eagles only scored a whole 5 more points than Freo in their Windy Hill massacre in 89. To put that in context it's about a one metre difference to the right in one of our shots at goal.

Might have also been worth noting that their opponents scored 5 more goals than Freo's did tonight.

Might have also been worth noting that that game wasn't far off your magical 1000% mark either.

Id say its also worth noting that although we equalled our largest losing margin, West Coast have 4 greater losing margins, including 3 in the top 50 (19th, 32nd and 43rd).

Its always fun to dish it out to opposition supporters, but all teams have a record (or records) they arnt proud of. We will cop it this week and rightly so - I am embarresed, but we could have gone scoreless and lost by the greatest margin ever and id still stick by my team.

thanks :) although you seem to think they're as crap as your performances tonight.... i don't know. they're pretty historically correct.

technically it was. it was one of the previous 10 teams to only kick 1 goal in a game (i really couldn't be arsed typing all of them out)

i could've. but then i could've noted the full details of a number of floggings, some greater than the eagles that day.... some even greater than tonight's... but i'm hardly going to do that now am I??

i know. it was pretty sweet :)

serious question dockers fans...

i've seen and heard many dockers fans blame connelly for the current woes because he left gaping holes in your list. i have a couple of (genuine!) questions about this:

- why was connelly able to get your side to a preliminary final with such an ordinary list? or is this argument about the holes in the side merely used as a defence for harvey?

- is it not an indictment on harvey if he has misread the fremantle list so badly prior to going there? does that not reflect terribly on him as a coach? and does it not reflect terribly on the freo board for choosing a guy that clearly had no idea?

- do u think it reflects poorly on the culture of the freo footy club that so many of the supporters are so quick to bag the one coach you've ever had that gave u a modicum of success?

(these questions are asked objectively and as i continue to say on this board, the immature tools who believe that someones opinion is never independent of the team that support drives me nuts. i honestly have no opinion on freo... i don't care. never been there, couldn't really give a s**t about the club... just genuinenly interested in these questions)

i've seen and heard many dockers fans blame connelly for the current woes because he left gaping holes in your list. i have a couple of (genuine!) questions about this:

- why was connelly able to get your side to a preliminary final with such an ordinary list? or is this argument about the holes in the side merely used as a defence for harvey?

- is it not an indictment on harvey if he has misread the fremantle list so badly prior to going there? does that not reflect terribly on him as a coach? and does it not reflect terribly on the freo board for choosing a guy that clearly had no idea?

- do u think it reflects poorly on the culture of the freo footy club that so many of the supporters are so quick to bag the one coach you've ever had that gave u a modicum of success?

(these questions are asked objectively and as i continue to say on this board, the immature tools who believe that someones opinion is never independent of the team that support drives me nuts. i honestly have no opinion on freo... i don't care. never been there, couldn't really give a s**t about the club... just genuinenly interested in these questions)

As a general response to these questions, let me just say that Connolly was basically unsuccessful in his 5 years as coach. 2 finals appearances in those five years (with one prelim) sounds okay, but we had a strong list comparatively in those years (especially 2004-06) and we only made a prelim because of a nine game winning streak that got us into the top four.

The only final we've ever won is against Melbourne, who must have won about 10 games since then. :eek:

Connolly did get us into a prelim, it's true, and if we'd won the flag in 2006 (which we might well have if we could have beaten Adelaide or Sydney in the finals) it'd all be worth it. As it stands we didn't, and now we are back where we were in 2001 again.

Serious questions need to be asked of Harvey though. He's contracted through 2010 and I doubt he'll be canned before then, though. I guess it depends how much fight we show in the next 7 weeks.

- why was connelly able to get your side to a preliminary final with such an ordinary list? or is this argument about the holes in the side merely used as a defence for harvey?- is it not an indictment on harvey if he has misread the fremantle list so badly prior to going there? does that not reflect terribly on him as a coach? and does it not reflect terribly on the freo board for choosing a guy that clearly had no idea?

Answer : Bell, Black, Carr, Carr, Mcmanus, Farmer etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back