the best CHB in afl

Remove this Banner Ad

jaitachi

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hey guys, sorry no poll per say but i was wondering, who do you think is the best centre half back in the land? off the top of my head cant really pick 1 that stands out as the dominant CHB

hey might as well throw another question out there.. can any CHB keep up with reiwoldt for the whole game? like play on roo for the whole game with no 'little breaks' on other players etc etc

hey might as well throw another question out there.. can any CHB keep up with reiwoldt for the whole game? like play on roo for the whole game with no 'little breaks' on other players etc etc

Harry Taylor has now beaten Riewoldt comprehensively in two finals, but no defender can run with him the whole game, hence Mackie playing on him in bursts during the GF.

Big ask for any player, let alone a defender, to run with Riewoldt all day. They guys work rate is incredible, especially when you take into account the 3km+ he runs before every game.

As for the best CHB, Bock, easily.
yeh bock came to my head as the sort of stand out top chb player i can think of.. just shows there isnt that much top end quality CHB right now..
Need some CHBs to stand up and become like a chb version of lake or scarlett, i know its a harder position with all the extra running, but id like to see a few step up and take on the great chfs of the comp (riewoldt, brown etc etc)

hey guys, sorry no poll per say but i was wondering, who do you think is the best centre half back in the land? off the top of my head cant really pick 1 that stands out as the dominant CHB
yeh riewoldt looks like the marathon man bad haha
i wonder if he runs close to as much as robert harvey ran during games

Jarrad Waite has comprehensively beaten Riewoldt a few times...He's probably the only defender that can keep up with him for en entire game. The flipside is that they now know Waite's weakness, is being pushed deeper toward the goal square 1on1 to which Waite cannot beat him.

It's what makes Riewoldt imo the best forward going around at the moment, truly versatile.

^

I really rate Waite too, and would probably put him second, though still behind Bock.

EDIT: I totally forgot Fisher, he would be second.

I think Ben Reid will develop into a similar player for us, if he can be as good as either of those guys I'll be stoked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reasonably clearly Bock.
He's done it on Riewoldt a few times.
He's also had Buddy forced to move off of him before. (moved Buddy to the midfield to let him get his hands on the ball)

1 is Bock, 2 Fisher.

3 i'm not really sure. Maybe Waite, but he's a lot better playing offensively from the backline than beating opponents one on one.

Agree with 1 and 2, 3 would probably be Bolton.

Waite is a complete waste in the backline, much more suited and of much more value playing as a CHF.

Agree with 1 and 2, 3 would probably be Bolton.

Waite is a complete waste in the backline, much more suited and of much more value playing as a CHF.

Yep Bolton would be 3rd.

He's not a waste there. He's is respectable one on one and his run and delivery from HB is extremely good.

He is wasted a little bit playing extremely negating footy. When he plays looser on an opponent he really shines - they're forced to keep him accountable. See the Richmond game of round 1 2009 - absolutely killed it.

Bock for mine but would love to see Luke McPharlin play there for a WHOLE season. For some reason the Freo hierachy think he is a better forward but he aint a forwards a...hole

Yep Bolton would be 3rd.

He's not a waste there. He's is respectable one on one and his run and delivery from HB is extremely good.

He is wasted a little bit playing extremely negating footy. When he plays looser on an opponent he really shines - they're forced to keep him accountable. See the Richmond game of round 1 2009 - absolutely killed it.

The reason why I say he's wasted playing in the backline is because I think he would be much better utilised as a forward option. He's a big unit, got good pace and has a great kick. With Fevloa gone he has a great opportunity to step up and be Carlton's #1 forward. If you play him mainly from CHF it means Kruiser can ruck and rest at FF, which should fill the void left by Fev. Hopefully he isn't rushed back so he has time to get himself fully fit. Carlton should be happy at getting 10 or so games into him with the real aim being back to his best in 2011.

so everyone pretty much agrees that bock is the man at chb? how highly do you people rate him? would he be as good as say scarlett or riewoldt or j brown in their respective positions? is he elite pretty much (or as elite status as them)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back