Artists whose music you don't enjoy but respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So often on here I see the same following garbage, over and over again:

Person A: I like artist x (who happens to belong to genre y)
Person B: Artist x is s**t (because they belong to genre y)

People will judge an artist because they allow another genre's stereotype to tar every artist inside that genre with the same brush. It is an extremely ignorant view, and if we follow this logic, it would mean that every genre and hence every artist on earth would be s**t because every genre is disliked to some extent by at least a significant number of people out there. This would lead to all music that exists being s**t, a flawed concept that no one would agree with.

This is why I am strongly against the idea of disliking an artist because you don't like the sound of their music (or even genre).

I'm a firm believer that you can respect an artist, even if you don't like the sound of their music, if you take the time out to appreciate what they are skilled at and how they deliver this through their work. In fact, to not do this would be the definition of ignorance, no matter the genre.

It also works in the opposite fashion. You can enjoy the sound of some artists/songs, but you don't have to respect it. These would often be your 'guilty pleasures'. Songs you find catchy and will listen to again, but realise that not a lot of talent or creativity went into making the track.

So I ask you - which artists whose music you don't enjoy, do you respect? and WHY?

I'm very interested in seeing which posters out there are not ignorant and are in fact open-minded toward learning what actually constitutes talent/skill.

To get the ball rolling, I will start off with Beyonce.

Most people's reactions on here to seeing someone say they respect Beyonce would be, "Beyonce is s**t, her music is garbage". This is ignorance though. Whilst I don't enjoy Beyonce's music, I have the utmost respect for her as a vocalist. She has one of the strongest female voices and ranges in contemporary music, and credit where credit is due for that.

U2. Intelligent lyrics, popular despite being highly experimental. Feel as though I've missed out on something, but never been able to get into them.

For a more recent artist, Bruno Mars. Talented musician and has the voice to go with it (a really good one at that). I can see him becoming big as a singer-songwriter.

So often on here I see the same following garbage, over and over again:

Person A: I like artist x (who happens to belong to genre y)
Person B: Artist x is s**t (because they belong to genre y)

People will judge an artist because they allow another genre's stereotype to tar every artist inside that genre with the same brush. It is an extremely ignorant view, and if we follow this logic, it would mean that every genre and hence every artist on earth would be s**t because every genre is disliked to some extent by at least a significant number of people out there. This would lead to all music that exists being s**t, a flawed concept that no one would agree with.

This is why I am strongly against the idea of disliking an artist because you don't like the sound of their music (or even genre).

I'm a firm believer that you can respect an artist, even if you don't like the sound of their music, if you take the time out to appreciate what they are skilled at and how they deliver this through their work. In fact, to not do this would be the definition of ignorance, no matter the genre.

It also works in the opposite fashion. You can enjoy the sound of some artists/songs, but you don't have to respect it. These would often be your 'guilty pleasures'. Songs you find catchy and will listen to again, but realise that not a lot of talent or creativity went into making the track.

So I ask you - which artists whose music you don't enjoy, do you respect? and WHY?

I'm very interested in seeing which posters out there are not ignorant and are in fact open-minded toward learning what actually constitutes talent/skill.

The initial logic is solid though. For example, modern rap is s**t, therefore <insert current rap "artist" here> is s**t.

This whole thread is just a fishing expedition to see who likes rap, so transparent Power King ;)

Anyone who doesn't bow down to the "awesome talent" of a given rapper will be tagged as ignorant, carry on

Radiohead. Appreciate their contribution to music and their popularity but personally just don't get them.

Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.

Outkast (Bar BOB and Hey Ya) and Jay Z

Not a hiphop/rap fan at all, but i can appreciate these guys for being incredibly talented musicians.

For a more recent artist, Bruno Mars. Talented musician and has the voice to go with it (a really good one at that). I can see him becoming big as a singer-songwriter.

I thought his writing on the chorus for the collabo with bob was superb, so I decided to check him out before he released his latest hit, and the man is ridiculously talented. Was a tad surprised at his first solo single which is now on the airwaves as it doesn't fully capture what type of artist he is. Hopefully he doesn't get suckered into being built on poppy rnb love songs (as good as his voice is on it), because this man could really be something. His voice is seemingly flawless from everything I've so far seen. In terms of overall live performance as well, mars = fire.

Another I will add to the list is Christina Aguilera inf voice. Possibly the best female voice I've heard this decade. Can't say I know a her catalogue in any great depth, but every song I've heard of hers, her vocals ooze sheer class. Shame because her image lumps her into being stereotyped as an artist equivalent to Britney Spears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've posted this before but 'respect' is something that I generally don't apply to musicians if I don't enjoy the music. I can acknowledge if someone has had an important impact on music but that hardly means I have to respect them for it. If I don't enjoy their tunes why should I care enough about them to decide whether they are worthy of my respect?

In conclusion, The Beatles are boring.

Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.

Well played.

For me , The Beatles - respect what they did, but just dont get into their music.

kate bush(actually dont mind her music but i wouldnt say i'm a fan, however she really did pave the way for female art-pop acts)

the who

jay z

eagles

judas priest

pearl jam(kinda feel bad as the major reason i'm not that into them is becoz of the spade's of imitation acts that ive heard that came along after them)

muse(fantasticaly talented and know how to put on a show, but they just can't get together and produce a full fluid album)

lady gaga

j/k

i enjoy it.

i was going to say lady gaga. the music is cringe-worthily poptastic most of the time, and some (though not all) of her songs are just ridiculous.

but having said that, she might be the biggest pop icon since madonna. the style, the statements, the controversy.

the music industry is, for many, about more than the music. that someone with minimal music ability, minimal writing ability and minimal good looks can work with 'the industry' to become such an icon, and more importantly to make so much money, deserves respect.

interested to see someone else mention U2. they deserve no respect any more. absolutely none.

they are no longer revolutionary. they are no longer experimental.

20 years + ago they were a great rock band, and they used their music to send messages of importance about current issues.

now? they use their music to justify their sense of their own importance. they tour and release music only to give a platform for their own narcicistic bullshit. they are nothing more than an ageing cliche, and they should've given it away 10 years ago.

I hate the common line of thinking that deems Lady Gaga a respectable artist. She sings crap overproduced mainstream mush. Just because she's slightly alternative does not make her any different from a "Britney" or similar popstyled artist.

I hate the common line of thinking that deems Lady Gaga a respectable artist. She sings crap overproduced mainstream mush. Just because she's slightly alternative does not make her any different from a "Britney" or similar popstyled artist.

it's not like she's the first person to do the whole alternative thing either

but how many do it as well as her? now? only beyonce. ever? only madonna and britney.

is it luck? of course it is. the record industrys job is to manufacture stars. and not many have ever shone as brightly as hers. the fact that shes one of a million hopefuls doesnt change the fact that she had to have, nurture and maintain the right talent and image.

i reckon u could count on your hands the number of women whose names are known around the world who are still doing their thing. hers is. the rest of the list would include the aforementioned megastars and people like the queen.

Elvis - even when I was a kid in the 70s his sound had dated.

Metallica - just plain don't like metal or singers who can't sing. Apart from the singer they are very good musicians and brought metal into the mainstream.

Nirvana - great contribution in the way of influence of sound but they are light on for quality and quantity.

Bob Marley - great write of reggae/pop tunes but reggae bores me to tears

Bob Dylan - along with Lennon one of the greatest songwriters ever. Don't like his voice and don't like folk.

Michael jackson - just never liked his stuff. But he is very talented.

Prince - Ditto. Talented dude, didn't mind his Cream stuff, but just never liked the Raspberry beret sound. His music has aged very very badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back