Movie What's the last movie you saw? (2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: What's the last movie you saw?

Drive

After reading so many positive reviews in this thread, I gave it run last night.

Loved it! :thumbsu:

I'll start off with the soundtrack - amazing! Have been listening to the three main vocal tracks all day. Reminded me of the glorious 80s soundtracks that Giorgio Moroder collaborated on. Gosling is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. It's amazing how much he was able to communicate with just a look (or stare in this case). Loved the awkward/nervousness of Carey Mulligan's character. The tension was built patiently, which gave it great effect down the line. Beautifully shot, LA had a real Michael Mann/Collateral feel about it. The second unit work was great.

To the people who download movies, do you pay to download them?

I downloaded utorrent and use a certain "pirate" site. Not sure if allowed to mention it but it's probably the most well-known. Free and have used for ages without an issue. Get amongst it.

Drive

After reading so many positive reviews in this thread, I gave it run last night.

Loved it! :thumbsu:

I'll start off with the soundtrack - amazing! Have been listening to the three main vocal tracks all day. Reminded me of the glorious 80s soundtracks that Giorgio Moroder collaborated on. Gosling is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. It's amazing how much he was able to communicate with just a look (or stare in this case). Loved the awkward/nervousness of Carey Mulligan's character. The tension was built patiently, which gave it great effect down the line. Beautifully shot, LA had a real Michael Mann/Collateral feel about it. The second unit work was great.

Downloaded this last night after stumbling across this thread. Also got The Fountain, Insidious, The Killer Inside Me and Tree of Life. Just finished The Fountain which I found a bit meh to be honest, but Killer Inside Me was pretty sweet. Might give Drive go tonight, anything to avoid studying for exams.

No, don't pay, free. Program I use is Vuze. Can stream what you download to PS3, itunes/ipod, or just watch on pc. Like Vuze, cos you can just search for a movie, songs, whatever, inside it.

I downloaded utorrent and use a certain "pirate" site. Not sure if allowed to mention it but it's probably the most well-known. Free and have used for ages without an issue. Get amongst it.

No, I don't want to use it, or download movies, frankly it's a practice that I do not agree with.

That's just me, I'm not going to try and push my opinion about this on others.

Thought I might give John Wayne a second chance, starting with Red River. Took ages to really get going, at least an hour, but I ended up really enjoying it. Perhaps the end was a little weak but from the involvement of the woman forward, they were always heading there. As for Wayne; well I still think he's no good but he was very effective here. Probably on par with The Searchers of what I've seen of his work so far?

Just watched Inception. Really had to be switched on to keep up with it, and thus you have to be really in the mood for it. Good movie, good cast, might have to watch it again to capture more subtleties. 8/10

Not sure if this one has been mentioned here, but if you enjoyed the mind bending concept of Inception there's a movie made in the early 2000s called Primer, which requires a similar amount of attention.
The major difference though is that Primer was made on only $7000.00 and it shows.
The sort of movie you may make at Uni, but with a serious and thought provoking concept behind it.

I love those small Sci-Fi's where the story alone is the deal.
See, Man from Earth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Dean, after watching James Franco's inside the actors studio it really shows that he is the only actor that could play the role of Dean. Incredible movie, incredible acting.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned here, but if you enjoyed the mind bending concept of Inception there's a movie made in the early 2000s called Primer, which requires a similar amount of attention.
The major difference though is that Primer was made on only $7000.00 and it shows.
The sort of movie you may make at Uni, but with a serious and thought provoking concept behind it.

I love those small Sci-Fi's where the story alone is the deal.
See, Man from Earth.

Primer is an absolute doozy of a doozy. I used to be part of the official forum for Primer when the movie first released, and it took like 1-2 years of 24/7 bickering and science and charts etc to finally work out roughly every nuance of the story. You really need to watch this film like 4 or 5 times and see if you can find the Primer forum (if it still exists) or maybe the IMDB message boards, to work it out.

Primer is an absolute doozy of a doozy. I used to be part of the official forum for Primer when the movie first released, and it took like 1-2 years of 24/7 bickering and science and charts etc to finally work out roughly every nuance of the story. You really need to watch this film like 4 or 5 times and see if you can find the Primer forum (if it still exists) or maybe the IMDB message boards, to work it out.

Wow. Not sure I want to make a life pursuit out of it, but will have a look. ;)

I'll watch it again on the weekend and hopefully take a little more out of it.
Forgot to mention Moon before which sits comfortably amongst the others albeit just a little more straight forward than Primer.

Primer's incredibly complicated because each time they go back and forward in time, they create another version of themselves living in that time. And all the actions we see from each person are done from multiple versions of themselves (not to mention all the other sub-plot of it all), and one has to really chart it like that official forum's devout members did. It's the most mind-**** of a film i've seen in that sense.

Moon was an excellent film. Directed by David Bowie's son, who also directed that other recent film (forget the name) where the guy is on the train and has to keep going back in time to relive the 12 minutes of the train explosion to try to save it from exploding. I.e., this director has had a very strong debut and look forward to seeing more of his films. Forget his first name, but his last name is obviously Jones.

Red State by Kevin Smith, scary stuff. A Tarantino favourite apparently.

7/10

Yeah saw that too. I liked his Dogma flick with the laugh out loud scenes/lines better. This (Red State) is powerfully acted by the head honcho wako- Michael Parks as pastor Abin Cooper. One frightning friggin dude.

Primer's incredibly complicated because each time they go back and forward in time, they create another version of themselves living in that time. And all the actions we see from each person are done from multiple versions of themselves (not to mention all the other sub-plot of it all), and one has to really chart it like that official forum's devout members did. It's the most mind-**** of a film i've seen in that sense.

Moon was an excellent film. Directed by David Bowie's son, who also directed that other recent film (forget the name) where the guy is on the train and has to keep going back in time to relive the 12 minutes of the train explosion to try to save it from exploding. I.e., this director has had a very strong debut and look forward to seeing more of his films. Forget his first name, but his last name is obviously Jones.

Moon was a great film, Sam Rockwell put in a fantastic performance, the mood was so great.

Is the other one your'e talking about Source Code? If so i wouldn't have picked the same director, very good movie but very very different to moon

Bold movie. I enjoyed it.

Loved Gerty.

gerty21.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back