Preview Changes and Discussion Round 12: Hawthorn v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a view but there is merit to pick players on form and keep the pack hungry. Whilst comparisons aren't always relevant, when we played Richmond we went into that game 'No Change' and played like a team that were very safe.

It's another question who would go out/come in, but I would encourage the selectors to consider that no player is safe and that message is sent clearly by making a change to a winning combination.

Oh, let me guess, drop Savage for Murphy :rolleyes:
Murphy or Cheney and push Suckling further forward. I don't see why Sav should still be getting a game when he has been massively out of form while Murphy and Cheney have been in form. The fact that they are defenders shouldn't make much of a difference since we can push Suckling further forawrd.

Oh, let me guess, keep playing a player who has been out of form all season :rolleyes:

Murphy or Cheney and push Suckling further forward. I don't see why Sav should still be getting a game when he has been massively out of form while Murphy and Cheney have been in form. The fact that they are defenders shouldn't make much of a difference since we can push Suckling further forawrd.

Oh, let me guess, keep playing a player who has been out of form all season :rolleyes:

Please don't insult me, Sav is fast and can kick goals. He is developing his game nicely and has far more strings to his bow than both previously mentioned players. Suckling is slow as well, so go ahead lets bring in more slow players to really let the opposition run riot. :thumbsu:

Please don't insult me, Sav is fast and can kick goals. He is developing his game nicely and has far more strings to his bow than both previously mentioned players. Suckling is slow as well, so go ahead lets bring in more slow players to really let the opposition run riot. :thumbsu:
Suckling is hardly slow, Sav may be faster but he hasn't really been kicking goals now has he. Suckling has kicked 6 goals while Sav has kicked 3 so he is beating him in that department while playing predominantly in defence.

Sav's struggling to win the 1-on-1s when the footy is on the ground but he's slowly getting better at it. He's hardly a liability and definitely has the tools to be a really good player at Hawthorn and offers us things that only a few guys on the list can compete with.

I think ideally the Hawks want at least one of Rioli, Savage, Smith or Young in the centre bounces to give us some much needed foot speed to compliment Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis and Hodge.

I don't see the need for any change this week other than any niggling injuries which aren't worth risking. We really need to aim to have our strongest team ready to blow Carlton out of the water after the bye and make a serious run toward the top 4. Are we any chance of finishing 2nd from here? Would we need to win every game on the run home?

A settled backline is vital to a premiership challenge. It's good Murphy & Cheney are playing well at Box Hill but while our back 6 is finally starting to gel as a unit it seems foolish to tamper with that.

Last game before the bye... so HIT THEM HARD BOYS!!! then have a well earned rest.

Probably no change this week... all the boys went in really hard and the effort was great... proud of us!

Great seeing Stratts return to his best... great plays on Schultz...

Last game before the bye... so HIT THEM HARD BOYS!!! then have a well earned rest.

Probably no change this week... all the boys went in really hard and the effort was great... proud of us!

Great seeing Stratts return to his best... great plays on Schultz...
Yea great seeing him back in form. What i love is our ability to rotate Stratts, Schoey and Gibbo on the main defender to change it up a bit.

My personal view is that we need Smith, Puopolo and Savage all playing, and playing well at the pointy end of the season. They are all pacey players that bring much needed carry and offensive randomness to a predictable structure. It's hardly a coincidence that they when they were injected into the side last year and they hit their straps, we started to look like a much more formidable side. Pace, carry and a willingness to take the game on are very valuable commodities to our set-up.

There was an interesting discussion on SEN this morning about the importance of running players currently; coaches are beginning to tag these playerrs rather than gun onballers. This spells concerns for the our runners-none of which are particularly strong over the ball and will no doubt be subject to greater scrutiny.
Happy to have all of Young, Hill, Savage and Smith playing this week, but two of these four will have to make way for Lewis and Hodge after the bye, barring injury.

Yes, we rely heavily on our so-called supplementary players to hurt other teams from the clearances because our extractors are just that, extractors primarily. If you can block/wear out our supplementary players, you go a long way to shutting us down.

Quite happy with our settled backline:

FB: Stratton - Gibson - Guerra
HB: Burgers - Schoey - Birchall

With guys like Suckling, Whitecross, etc going back and helping out at times.

Who makes way for Hodge? Maybe they'll rotate Burgers and Hodge between the back flank, middle and pine.

Oh and I just don't see a role for Cheney or Murphy. Hodge is a better defender than either and can also do spells in the middle, if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to have all of Young, Hill, Savage and Smith playing this week, but two of these four will have to make way for Lewis and Hodge after the bye, barring injury.

Disagree.

Gunston out for Lewis and one of Savage out for Hodge. Hill stays as the sub.

Hodge plays Sav's roll up forward.

I think Hodge will be used off the back of the centre square, his bullocking work, sheer class and lethal left foot is something our midfield mix needs. Interesting if he and Burger share a similar rotation.

I think Hodge will be used off the back of the centre square, his bullocking work, sheer class and lethal left foot is something our midfield mix needs. Interesting if he and Burger share a similar rotation.

Ive heard the same...

Disagree.

Gunston out for Lewis and one of Savage out for Hodge. Hill stays as the sub.

Hodge plays Sav's roll up forward.
I'd be inclined to give Gunston every opportunity to prove himself. He has the capacity to give us an extra dimension in the forward half. We've persevered with Shoey and that's beginning to pay dividends. Gunston should be afforded the same opportunities.

From where I sit it appears Savage has been given the jobs Ossie would have been doing. Now every man and his dog was calling for Ossie to be dropped but he was apparently doing as asked, which looked to be curbing an attacking HBFers impact.
I recon this job will be the making of Sav as it will force him to concentrate and this inturn will help him stay in a game when he has the option of attack.

This is our first Home game in nearly 2 months. Can you believe that!

Ridiculous fixturing going nine weeks without a Melbourne home game.

I'd be inclined to give Gunston every opportunity to prove himself. He has the capacity to give us an extra dimension in the forward half. We've persevered with Shoey and that's beginning to pay dividends. Gunston should be afforded the same opportunities.

If Hodge/Burgers are rotated between fwd/back, I'd be confident that they could do the same damage as Gunner.

Plus, they add to the midfield rotation too.

Our best 22:
In: Hodge, Lewis
Out: Gunston, Suckling

We don't lose any runners but we add toughness.

B: Guerra Schoenmakers Stratton
HB: Hodge Gibson Birchall
C: Smith Lewis Young
HF: Whitecross Franklin Rioli
F: Breust Roughead Puopolo
Foll: Hale Sewell Mitchell
Int: Savage Shiels Burgoyne
Sub: Hill

Emerg: Suckling Bailey Gunson

If Hodge/Burgers are rotated between fwd/back, I'd be confident that they could do the same damage as Gunner.

Plus, they add to the midfield rotation too.

agree and if Ellis was not injured, he would be a good option. If you look at collingwood they have alot of rotations and all of Ellis/Hodge/Lewis would offer that. Gee, I wish I had not watched the VFL game when Ellis got injured few minutes to go, so annoying for him and the club. He has class, desperation. I still do not know how he did his knee, but he looked to have more penetration in his kicking and anytime he had the ball in his hands, you knew something good would happen. I guess we will have to wait after the bye to see who makes way for Hodge/Lewis and if Bailey can come in and who goes out.

Ahhh the constant cries for Savage to be either drooped or made the sub.

Do you guys actually go to the games or just look at it on the TV. If you are just watching the game on TV, then you will have no idea of what is actually happening in the game as you only see the really close in shots.

Savage is doing a run with role at present. And doing it very well. He had Ports captain this week and locked him down to a nothing game. Great job Shane.

Our best 22:
In: Hodge, Lewis
Out: Gunston, Suckling

We don't lose any runners but we add toughness.

B: Guerra Schoenmakers Stratton
HB: Hodge Gibson Birchall
C: Smith Lewis Young
HF: Whitecross Franklin Rioli
F: Breust Roughead Puopolo
Foll: Hale Sewell Mitchell
Int: Savage Shiels Burgoyne
Sub: Hill

Emerg: Suckling Bailey Gunson
suckling won't get dropped. he wouldnt even be considered to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back