Preview Changes and Discussion Round 12: Hawthorn v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Last time Hawthorn played the Lions at the G, Trent Croad took a HUUUUGE hanger over J Brown in the centre square :thumbsu:

Clear use of Croad's hands on Brown's head there, should have been a free kick :p

Seriously though is anyone else a bit disturbed by the heavy panting during the black and white slow-mo? I mean, I love Hawthorn as much as the next guy, but... well... not as much as that guy.

I remember that game. Buddy kicked a goal on the boundary and we gave it to all these lions fans who bagging him all game and my mate almost got into a punch up.
We won by 50 points didn't we?
This will be my first game I have been to since we lost to the Cats round 2 so I'm hoping it's another 50 point win..

Yep, at half time Buddy kicked a ripper from the boundary. Brown (BRL) ran from one end to the other after that goal to get in Buddy's face...it didn't go well for Brisbane after that :)

Can't stand the calls to drop Savage, why ??
Doing a run with role, as others have pointed out, and doing it nicely.
Why don't we just drop anyone with pace and play all the slower guys !!!

No change this week , Hill as sub may get more game time and looks the goods( although he does look like he's about 14 years old !!)
Not sure who drops out for Hodge in the future, loath to lose pace in our side

The problem is someone has to be dropped to make way for Hodge and Lewis when they come back. I'm not saying that it should be Savage, but he isn't a certainty to stay in the team. His form has been OK, I understand he has been asked to play a run with role, but you can play a run with role and still have an impact the other way, which he hasn't been doing well the last few weeks. Also Cassise is hardly a huge scalp, most Port supporters claim if he was not captain he would have been dropped this year based on form.

To be honest I think part of the reason we have struggled a bit this year is because the likes of Savage, Smith, Shiels and Suckling have not been able to find the same form that was so important to us last year. If we are any chance to win the flag this year, these guys will have to be at the top of there game come finals time. I'm not sure what the answer is to get them there either, they may need some time at Box Hill to find confidence, they may also just push through it in the seniors. But it is something that needs to be looked at.

Interesting to see whether Voss uses Merrett forward to stretch our short backs or back to stop our forwards stretching them.

Expect they'll start with him forward. I'd probably put Schoey on him to start and Gibbo on Brown.

They have to start forward. Turns the game into Russian Roulette as opposed to letting us play eighty seven guys on Brown and killing them on the rebound.

Interesting to see whether Voss uses Merrett forward to stretch our short backs or back to stop our forwards stretching them.

Expect they'll start with him forward. I'd probably put Schoey on him to start and Gibbo on Brown.

They'd have to go out with all available guns blazing I'd suggest.

Playing conservatively will see them lose (un)comfortably. Their only chance to win would be to send him (Merrett) forward & hope that both he & Brown kick bags... If it backfires then they switch it back at Half Time & play out the loss that was always going to happen.

Suckling arguably the best kick in the competition. If he does have a lack of pace, surely it is mitigated by the fact that he has elite disposal and can hit the **** of the pacey guys from 50m. Not to mention his importance along with Goo in kicking out.

Bit perplexed at him being singled out for the axe by a few posters.

And in regards to the arguments against Savage getting dropped - Cassisi is hardly a game winner and I would argue that a tag on him is somewhat unnecessary, but then again I'm not a coach and nor did I watch the game live to judge his influence off the ball. Having said that I would rather give him a spell and see what Schneider brings to the chemistry. Have him sub and give Hill a full game before the bye. Hill trigger shy on tackles, but receives a pass for now.

Hill's body just isn't upto a full game. Twice the ball was kicked to him in one-on-ones and twice he was outmarked.

Not saying the kid can't play, just saying he is suited to the sub role at this point in time.

Probably shouldn't be hitting up Hill one-on-one in the first place. Will never be in the side for his contested marking ability.

An unchanged side, with Hill as the sub -but for godssakes Clarko, give your sub more than a 1/4 of game time, especially Hill to show us he deserves to be in the starting 21.

And in regards to the arguments against Savage getting dropped - Cassisi is hardly a game winner and I would argue that a tag on him is somewhat unnecessary, but then again I'm not a coach and nor did I watch the game live to judge his influence off the ball. Having said that I would rather give him a spell and see what Schneider brings to the chemistry. Have him sub and give Hill a full game before the bye. Hill trigger shy on tackles, but receives a pass for now.

He did cough it up a couple of times but both Sav and shiels were given hard tagging roles on their port opponents.. It looked like Sav was probably showing Cassisi too much attention at times he could effect the contest and win the ball but considering Cassisi barely touched it he played his role well...

Irrespective of whether we think Cassisi is a game winner it was clear that the coaching staff gave savage a role on him, and he played it out.. Would be very surprised to see him dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An unchanged side, with Hill as the sub -but for godssakes Clarko, give your sub more than a 1/4 of game time, especially Hill to show us he deserves to be in the starting 21.

Pull your sub early and then cop an injury, it suddenly inconveniences every player left out there since there are less rotations available.

Play the sub later, and you only inconvenience one person... the sub himself.

Pull your sub early and then cop an injury, it suddenly inconveniences every player left out there since there are less rotations available.

Absolutely, i would love to see the sub get more game time but the risk is just too big to mess up the system we have in place right now.

Conversely, holding off on introducing the sub for too long can disadvantage the whole team. If what you need is run or height or whatever, they can't do much good sitting in the orange. Or if starting player is having a stinker or is superfluous to how the game is being played, then not subbing them off also leaves you at a disadvantage. In that scenario, the whole team can suffer because of the reluctance to make a sub. A coach said to me that the sub is a serious tactical decision and the decision about who/when and why is very fluid.

Conversely, holding off on introducing the sub for too long can disadvantage the whole team. If what you need is run or height or whatever, they can't do much good sitting in the orange. Or if starting player is having a stinker or is superfluous to how the game is being played, then not subbing them off also leaves you at a disadvantage. In that scenario, the whole team can suffer because of the reluctance to make a sub. A coach said to me that the sub is a serious tactical decision and the decision about who/when and why is very fluid.

Point taken.

I was coming from from a rotation/fitness angle Grizz (which is what the sub was originally for) rather than the tactical use of the sub.

Point taken.

I was coming from from a rotation/fitness angle Grizz (which is what the sub was originally for) rather than the tactical use of the sub.

I think the sub has introduced a major new tactical element to the game - how and when and who are critical.

Imagine if Golem (KB) gets his way...

Hill's body just isn't upto a full game. Twice the ball was kicked to him in one-on-ones and twice he was outmarked.

Not saying the kid can't play, just saying he is suited to the sub role at this point in time.

Hill's got the endurance to run a whole game out, but he's just not strong around the body. The second out-mark was a stupid kick by Gibbo,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back