Preview Changes and Discussion Round 12: Hawthorn v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

suckling won't get dropped. he wouldnt even be considered to be dropped.

For balance i think one of the following players needs to be left out due to lack of pace.

Hodge
Mitchell
Lewis
Sewell
Burgoyne
Suckling

I would argue that the top 3 are certainties and Sewell is in great form.

I think Burgoyne has more tricks than Suckling so I left Suckling out.

I like suckling as a player but i love the run we have with Savage, Smith, Young, Hill etc and i don't think we should sacrifice that to take in 1 too many slow players.

Our best 22:
In: Hodge, Lewis
Out: Gunston, Suckling

We don't lose any runners but we add toughness.

B: Guerra Schoenmakers Stratton
HB: Hodge Gibson Birchall
C: Smith Lewis Young
HF: Whitecross Franklin Rioli
F: Breust Roughead Puopolo
Foll: Hale Sewell Mitchell
Int: Savage Shiels Burgoyne
Sub: Hill

Emerg: Suckling Bailey Gunson

The only thing i change is Gunston in Savage out

For balance i think one of the following players needs to be left out due to lack of pace.

Hodge
Mitchell
Lewis
Sewell
Burgoyne
Suckling

I know that we are lacking in pace a bit but I honestly can't see Suckling getting dropped. Has he ever been dropped before?
I think Savage is definately best 22 as he can provide some speed

I like suckling as a player but i love the run we have with Savage, Smith, Young, Hill etc and i don't think we should sacrifice that to take in 1 too many slow players.

Just a view but there is merit to pick players on form and keep the pack hungry. Whilst comparisons aren't always relevant, when we played Richmond we went into that game 'No Change' and played like a team that were very safe.

It's another question who would go out/come in, but I would encourage the selectors to consider that no player is safe and that message is sent clearly by making a change to a winning combination.

Yes, I tend to agree with that. It seems it has taken half a season for sewell/burgoyne/mitchell to click into gear. People where saying we were too slow and bring in Ellis as he is better at spreading out, but suddendly things seem to have clicked.

Hodge
Mitchell
Lewis
Sewell
Burgoyne
Suckling

Not sure about Burgers dude.

I can hear halfback dasher sfellowing as we speak....

Burgers has had a very good season. His creativity up back has been very important, and his leadership is also excellent. Very important player for mine.

The other great thing about Burgers is that he's starting to exert some very strong physical pressure on the opposition in the last couple of weeks. I feel like he's kinda initiated that, and other players have responded to it. He's hurting blokes legally, which is awesome. We needed some mongrel back, and we've got it the last coupla weeks.

Has a huge amount of body strength too. Just thumps people with tackles.
The last two games though he has gone the bump instead of the tackle which annoyed me a little but other than that he has been fantastic this year. Shown the most pace and aggression since joining us.

Gunston will be very important. Need to give him some time in the seniors to get used to our set ups. The fact he is a very accurate kick and can take his chances makes him a Williams type forward whoneeds very few chances a game to impact the scoreboard.

Burgers has had a very good season. His creativity up back has been very important, and his leadership is also excellent. Very important player for mine.
He's had a very underrated season too. A lot of posters were calling for him to be dropped a month ago. What people don't seem to notice is how well he positions himself. Almost always puts himself in the best possible position to win contests of stop the opposition winning it.

And his decision making is sublime. He may not be a high possession winner (never really has been), but it's what he does with the ball that makes him so valuable.

I also liked what Time Machine said about complacency team selection. So whomever they drop, if TM has good foresight, will be awfully unlucky. Only one I can think of who would be dropped is Hill simply because he's new and built like a fetus currently.

This week match at the MCG between Hawthorn and Brisbane will see the two teams play each other in Melbourne for the first time since 2007, that's right 5 years it's been! This time 5 years ago it was the Johathon Brown with 6 and Lance Franklin with 6, that was one shoot out that game. Will we see the same this week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My personal view is that we need Smith, Puopolo and Savage all playing, and playing well at the pointy end of the season. They are all pacey players that bring much needed carry and offensive randomness to a predictable structure. It's hardly a coincidence that they when they were injected into the side last year and they hit their straps, we started to look like a much more formidable side. Pace, carry and a willingness to take the game on are very valuable commodities to our set-up.

Agree, and because of this, I think we need to give someone like Wanganeen a run in the seniors this weekend and keep playing Hill. If anything happens to Smith or Savage, then we need these options with a few AFL games behind them, not coming in raw. The alternative is we could be playing a slower lineup in critical games late in the season when we can't afford to.

Hodge
Mitchell
Lewis
Sewell
Burgoyne
Suckling

Burgoyne has pace - has flexibility (fwd/back/mid), has elite disposal, and wins more one on ones than his opponent - plus brings hardness and smarts to the game - he is a certainity.

Suckling - apart from Burgoyne is faster than all the others you mentioned. He has also improved his one on one. He has above average AFL speed.

Shiels would of been more appropiate in thge list when looking at like for like. (I am not saying he should be dropped or anything either)

What we need to do - is get the balance right between speed, outside play and spread/extractors.

When I look at the side - what is good when all are right (which rarely happens) is that we have options.

Can't stand the calls to drop Savage, why ??
Doing a run with role, as others have pointed out, and doing it nicely.
Why don't we just drop anyone with pace and play all the slower guys !!!

No change this week , Hill as sub may get more game time and looks the goods( although he does look like he's about 14 years old !!)
Not sure who drops out for Hodge in the future, loath to lose pace in our side

NO CHANGES...........

Yep Hill as sub again, but bring him on a little earlier each time as to steadily bring him into the pace of the AFL

This week match at the MCG between Hawthorn and Brisbane will see the two teams play each other in Melbourne for the first time since 2007, that's right 5 years it's been! This time 5 years ago it was the Johathon Brown with 6 and Lance Franklin with 6, that was one shoot out that game. Will we see the same this week?

I remember that game. Buddy kicked a goal on the boundary and we gave it to all these lions fans who bagging him all game and my mate almost got into a punch up.
We won by 50 points didn't we?
This will be my first game I have been to since we lost to the Cats round 2 so I'm hoping it's another 50 point win..

Thoughts on playing suckling half forward??

We already have players with good disposal in our backline and we do struggle with our disposal inside 50...i think he would be great pin pointing players inside 50 and is a good shot at goal.

I remember that game. Buddy kicked a goal on the boundary and we gave it to all these lions fans who bagging him all game and my mate almost got into a punch up.
We won by 50 points didn't we?
This will be my first game I have been to since we lost to the Cats round 2 so I'm hoping it's another 50 point win..

yeah that goal was outstanding and it got us with 5 points at half time then there was a punch on between Simon Taylor and Johanthon Brown at half time while those young kids were doing there Aus Kick :p we came out and kicked 7 goals in that 3rd quarter, argh the memeries :) we won that game by 24 points. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back