Music Documentaries...

Remove this Banner Ad

Anvil is top shelf stuff. Makes you realise that even the biggest bands have a very tough time of it.

If you are a grunge fan check out PJ20. They first 30 mins just covers grunge in Seattle and beyond.

At some stage i have to check out Fishbone doco, but must wait for the price of the DVD to come down.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil is good, even if you're not interested in their style of music.
I saw the Anvil one in the list of 100 top music/arts flavoured docos on rotten tomatoes.

Will check it out :thumbsu:

Do check it out, it's brilliant! Although.... i reckon it's a pisstake, maybe not an outright mocumentary but they had to be pulling the piss a bit with that doco. Thoroughly entertaining though.

Some kind of monster is great. Never been much of a metallica fan and it satisfied me greatly to see the cowardly lion and co acting like sooks. oh s**t and dave mustaine too. big ol bunch of whining bitches.

Autoluminescent on Rowland S Howard is a brilliant piece of film making.

Absolute ripper BS. I watched it again the other night.

Covers all of Rowlands bands incl Birthday Party and all his solo work

What a talent he was.

I had given up hope that the genius that was Rodriguez would ever be recognised. The doco., 'Looking for Sugarman' was splendid, but took no account whatsoever of how huge Rodriguez was in Australia, in the early 70s. It was not just South Africa. There wasn't a dud song on his first album, and he made Dylan look like a dilettante. My ex-missus is shouting me a seat to see him in Melbourne, in March. My son is going to see him at a festival in northern NSW before that. Bastard! Well, not really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The future is unwritten - documentary about Joe Strummer.

it was ok i guess, i just didn't see the need for them to wheel out the likes of scorcese, bono, cusack, matt dillon, johnny shlepp etc. that was not strummer.

westway to the world directed by the great don letts is brilliant. also rude boy is great as it as made while they were still going and contains great live clips.

the decline of western civilization. especially for the footage of the germs and black flag. it shows black flag at their best (imo) when ron reyes fronted them.
That's a classic doco as is Part II: The Metal Years (the original is better).

Wilco- I am trying to break your heart.
Flaming Lips- The Fearless Freaks
Bob Dylan- No Direction Home
The Beach Boys- Endless Harmony

large_spinal_tap_blu-ray2x.jpg

Caught this the other day, very good.

Cheers.

Boy, can I relate to that first bit...wagging school in the the Latrobe Valley, coming to Melbourne with a mate, Missink Link, Collectors Corner, Gaslight... buying up on the 60s and 70s band that we'd read about in The Rock Encyclopaedia, or Handbook of Rock, giggling like loons when we found something by the Incredible String Band, or Steeleye Span, King Crimson, or whoever...trying to work out which to buy and which to leave...buying 10 or so second hand records at a time, and going through all the liner notes on the train on the way home with vinyl all over the compartment...

Magic times...

Apart from those already mentioned

Dr Feelgood - Oil City Confidential
The Undertones - Here comes the summer

New Releases I'm waiting for

Cockney Rejects -- East End Babylon
The Clash - The rise and fall of the clash
Killing Joke - The death and resurrection show

and apparently the director from the Lemmy movie is working on one for The Damned

Having just watched a rather good documentary about the artist Rodriguez called "Searching for Sugar Man" I was wondering if the people of BF could recommend some other music docos worth watching?

I saw this just last night - Great film - I had never heard of Rodriguez before. I actually tend to enjoy documentaries that expose me to artists that I had previously knew little about more than ones about my favourite bands.

Autoluminescent on Rowland S Howard is a brilliant piece of film making.

Yep - I hadn't known of Roland S Howard before this documentary either (but it turns out I knew a lot of his songs!) - Another great film.

For my own contribution to the thread, I suggest people watch "We Jam Econo" - The story of The Minutemen. They are one of my favourite bands now -

Remove this Banner Ad

Back