Toast George Horlin-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

So many people seem to be claiming this kid as one of their early calls as a player. Not me, I had not much idea of him until I saw the GF in the VFL 2012. Even then you never know really when they go to the next level in footy. However his game last week insured that many Cats fans will be seeing another great recruit. Another potential Ling.

I just want to see him play another good game against the Doggies - because it hard to imgaine we have uncovered and another top player with a 30 odd pick. Just want to see a bit more of the guy before I put him in with Duncan and Bundy (who are terrific players for their years). Mind you Motlop is getting closer all the time to joining Duncan and Bundy - which is something I did not think would happen.

Imagine having Duncan, Bundy, Motlop and GHS all considered somewhat equal in talent and effectiveness (in their own ways) ? And all playing good footy for us. The team would rejuvenated.

If we can get Guthrie and Smedts, the other two likely players to join this group, getting some good game time and progress - we will be truly blessed as Cats fans.

FFS how did I miss him in the crystal ball comp? :oops:

Same here. I just assumed he wasn't eligible, forgot you can still win it in your 3rd year if you've played less than 10 games.

Anyway, well deserved for a great game. Here's hoping he becomes a regular in the senior team and has a 10 year career with us.

So many people seem to be claiming this kid as one of their early calls as a player.

Well, if anyone can beat the date this was posted, they are welcome to sit at the front of the Horlin-Smith bandwagon.

It is after the event but I'll address this anyway...yeah I think he goes alright by foot. He isn't what I'd class as elite (I agree with that) but he gets the job done and I think the description I read elsewhere of "not being able to hit the side of a barn" is a little extreme.

Clearly Rendell thought Smith was a good get as he couldn't get his name and ID number out quick enough.

I like Smith for the same reason I like Caddy - they are contested ball winners who know how to find it in traffic and on the ground and farm it out to the right option.

But it is moot, he and Caddy weren't available and we landed Smedts who sounds like a good get (I've not seen him).

Horlin-Smith is the one that really interests me...down the track it might be him who is seen as a "draft steal".

Still early days I know but people need to get in line. :p

And I don't care if people think I'm pumping up my own tyres. :cool:

* Taken from this thread - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ship-up-for-grabs.775867/page-2#post-19613702 in Nov. 2010. Actually, Smarty & Year of the Cat have more claim, those two blokes picked George in that comp!!

Don't know about my Warrick Andreoli prediction though!?!?! lulz

Ha ha Piv.

Gee I got my draft selections wrong that year :D

15. - Shell - agressive back pocket. A libertore type who thrives on niggle. Talks the talk. Not known if she walks the walk. A smokey high pick. Can replace Ling.
23. - Veedubs - A late bloomer, Veedubs lacks optimism in his own ability. But respects opponents in the same regard. Seen as a Presti type. Doesn't advance on enemy territory but accomplishes his job with aplomb.
37. - SJ - Forward -Has an incredible ability to use both sides of the body. A non time waster. Word is that during player meetings he has the perfect ability to merge 2 topics. Surely he'll play ahead of Byrnes?
54. - Pure ownage - Utility -. Has the ability to work with the kids, feels he can play the 2nd tall. At draft camp he missed the Mooney target on 4 out of five occasions. But surprisingly hit Pods 100% of the time.

My 16yo ( who knows everything ! ) is trying to model his game on him - great decision making , elite disposal , ability to win the hard ball , endurance and all round footy smarts. Might have to agree with the little bugger on this one !!

Lots more 16 yo's should be modelling their game on GHS. He's the perfect example of a dynamic inside mid- able to win the hard ball, generate run, and set up good options.

I'm hardly surprised. Deserves it 100% after his efforts on Friday night. Not only did he do an awesome job in closing down Kennedy, but won plenty of his own ball and sliced the Swans with his precision and run through the middle. Is well on his way to consolidating a regular spot in our best 22.

Well, if anyone can beat the date this was posted, they are welcome to sit at the front of the Horlin-Smith bandwagon.

Still early days I know but people need to get in line. :p

And I don't care if people think I'm pumping up my own tyres. :cool:

* Taken from this thread - http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ship-up-for-grabs.775867/page-2#post-19613702 in Nov. 2010. Actually, Smarty & Year of the Cat have more claim, those two blokes picked George in that comp!!

Don't know about my Warrick Andreoli prediction though!?!?! lulz

Me April 22, 2012
I may not have been first, but the definitiveness of this post definitely earns me a front seat on the bus. :D

In response to this post from Bulletproof. "still got my doubts about Horlin-Smith, he is a poor athlete, though has smarts."

Me: "I have no doubt about Horlin-Smith what so ever.
He has poise at AFL level already."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just happy to be mentioned in the same company of such esteemed posters as VC and Pivotonian. Surely I must be on the "Mark Webber second row".
Esteemed?? :eek:

Certain you have me mixed up with someone else.

Well deserved, got given his chance against the reigning premiers and grabbed it with both hands.

Looking forward to seeing a lot more of George!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back