Michaelia Cash - is she wasted in Senate?

Remove this Banner Ad

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
Have been watching her last coupla days in Senate Estimates (on asylum seekers/immigration).

Most impressive, so is her CV. I gather she is married to a brother of the late, great Matt Price?

What do the sandgropers here think? If she were in Reps would give J Bishop a run for her money as the premier coalition alpha female, I reckon.

Hadn't come across my radar before:

Before becoming a senator for Western Australia, Cash was a solicitor at the law firm Freehills, where she worked from 1999 to 2008. She practised in all areas of employment and industrial law including industrial relations, employee relations, occupational health and safety, equal opportunity, executive employment and unfair dismissal.[citation needed]

Cash holds a Bachelor of Arts with a triple major in public relations, politics and journalism from Curtin University, a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the University of Western Australia, and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of London.

She is married to Richard Price, a barrister and the brother of late political journalist Matt Price. She is the daughter of Western Australian state MP George Cash
wiki

She's shadow parliamentary secretary Immigration (to Scott Morrison.) Estimates went for two days from 10 am - 11 pm and she seemed to carry much, if not most of it. Was completely across her brief, her knowledge of the detail seemed inexhaustible, her questions forensic but civilised. The Immigration bureaucrats on the mat seemed to respect/like her - especially in contrast to when they were enduring cross examination from that epitome of courtesy and civil discourse, fragrant blossom aka Hanson-Young.

Yes. But she also presented intelligence, courtesy towards the unfortunates being interrogated.
Came across as a naturally warm person in contradiction to Bishop's public persona.
As for Hanson Young - one can only hope the electorate takes the opp to send her packing in September.

Estimates on asylum has been a walking nightmare for the DIA since 2010.

Yes. But she also presented intelligence, courtesy towards the unfortunates being interrogated.
Came across as a naturally warm person in contradiction to Bishop's public persona.
As for Hanson Young - one can only hope the electorate takes the opp to send her packing in September.

Estimates on asylum has been a walking nightmare for the DIA since 2010.

Unlike poor Jules I think she actually has functional personal relationships in her life

Have been watching her last coupla days in Senate Estimates (on asylum seekers/immigration).

Most impressive, so is her CV. I gather she is married to a brother of the late, great Matt Price?

What do the sandgropers here think? If she were in Reps would give J Bishop a run for her money as the premier coalition alpha female, I reckon.

price did a hatchet job on the potential rep from a sunshine coast electorate. he was an academicc if i recall. some good tabloid work there.

She is in very chummy with WA's new NCB Cormann, however she has a very very strong factional base in the north area where she is, so she isn't beholden to anyone and pretty much does what she likes.

Chose to stay in the Senate for whatever reason, as she could easily have taken the seat of Moore - the guy who is the endorsed candidate is one of her stooges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true - but hey it was the last night of sitting and when would she ever get such a chance to offload into Saint Penny Wong who had just stabbed the first female prime minister of Australia and then passed the knife onto Bill Shorten?

And whose sitting there' basking in her reward - in the Leader chair?

Cut her some slack, caes. :)

Better a pit bull than a swarmy saint who hyperventilates about the most difficult decision of her life after being bought off- bought off - by a lying, undermining, leaking, stalking, treacherous, male saboteur

Penny 'n Bill should get married.

556042-48739568-dfc3-11e2-a2a7-ba3b27a8768f.jpg

She has broken some balls in her time. Unless those are buttocks in her claws there, in which case she would have given Linda Lovelace a run for her money back in the day.

Yeash... If that's the best supposed talent the Coalition have then the ALP aren't looking too bad o_O

It's hard to get an appreciation for a junior backbencher's skills when they are used mostly just as attack dogs in Question Time, or on low-profile shows like Capital Hill to repeat talking points.

Like Jane I have been impressed with her in Estimates, where it's more about parliamentary business than media soundbites. I think that she will prove quite intelligent once she's in a position that gives her a portfolio and allows her a bit more discretion to speak freely on policy. Presumably she will be a ParlSec after the election if the Coalition get up.

Shame about the accent though. Godawful to listen to.

It's hard to get an appreciation for a junior backbencher's skills when they are used mostly just as attack dogs in Parliament, or on low-profile shows like Capital Hill to repeat talking points.

Like Jane, I have been impressed with her in Estimates. I think that she will prove quite intelligent once she's in a position that gives her a portfolio and allows her a bit more discretion to speak freely on policy. Presumably she will be a ParlSec after the election if the Coalition get up.

Shame about the accent though. Godawful to listen to.

Maybe that's the case, but when my first hearing about someone is where they're on an over the top rant using lines like "drinking from the chalice of blood" and making strange ball squeezing hand motions (directed at another woman?) I think you can forgive me for presuming that they have a loose screw or two. That was bad even by attack dog standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back