Not open for further replies.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
I'm not sure if this belongs somewhere else, and if it does I apologize.
I know all we hear out of the club is that the current arrangement works really well and in sure it does, but I for one would love to be able to go to Arden street and watch our 2's play. Not half of them all of them. Surely for development purposes it would work better for the players. Looking at the split this year, some weeks I couldn't help but think if all those guys were in the same team, how competitive they would be. It would make Arden street more of a destination for our supporters, and it would make us even more relevant in the area. Surely if the dogs can afford to do it, and win a premiership then we can. Thoughts??

Clear the debt, create a VFL team.

Maybe 2016 perhaps?

And the dogs can???
We are making profits year on year.
I'm not saying do it today, but put a sustainable plan in place to do it I five years.
Its a choice thing. Dogs have over $12 million in debt, but that is tied to asset development. They are banking on that paying itself off so focus their funding elsewhere.

Clear the debt, create a VFL team.

Maybe 2016 perhaps?
Yeah great call, and I'm fine with clearing the debt first, it would be a great thing to launch soon while we are building for a period of some success. Is Arden street able to be a ground where VFL football can be played? No gate?

One of the regular posters posted on here a month or so ago that they were talking to one of the players and they told him that we would have a stand alone team out of Arden St in 2016.
I'm sure someone will be able to verify this.

Certainly the 2016 rumour was floated in a thread a few months ago. The $250k figure has been floated by a few people but it seems light to me. If that is all it is then surely we could afford that. Hardly a blemish on the bottom line.

It only costs 250K a year to have a team.

I just don't get the "can't afford it" argument.
That all? Might put my own VFL team in then.

It only costs 250K a year to have a team.

I just don't get the "can't afford it" argument.
That is just the licence. Then there are payments to top up players, development of rooms for opposition and umpires (which we dont have), appropriate fencing around he ground and complex, payment of staff (doctor, trainers, physios, runners etc.) and insurance. It will take some coin to get it up and running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if this belongs somewhere else, and if it does I apologize.
I know all we hear out of the club is that the current arrangement works really well and in sure it does, but I for one would love to be able to go to Arden street and watch our 2's play. Not half of them all of them. Surely for development purposes it would work better for the players. Looking at the split this year, some weeks I couldn't help but think if all those guys were in the same team, how competitive they would be. It would make Arden street more of a destination for our supporters, and it would make us even more relevant in the area. Surely if the dogs can afford to do it, and win a premiership then we can. Thoughts??

Happening in 2017 apparently.
Heard thsi from a young player about 1 month and half ago, while I was at lunch in the board room at Arden st. I think when the current agreement ends, we more than likely will get out own resereves team.

One of the regular posters posted on here a month or so ago that they were talking to one of the players and they told him that we would have a stand alone team out of Arden St in 2016.
I'm sure someone will be able to verify this.

Yes I had lunch at Arden Street, and one of the young players, who I also had a photo with. Said possibly 2017. At the moment its good, but a pain in the ar5e for the players, a little bit for the travelling, but more so you can set up properly for the following weeks opponent. With outr own side this would make things easier.

That is just the licence. Then there are payments to top up players, development of rooms for opposition and umpires (which we dont have), appropriate fencing around he ground and complex, payment of staff (doctor, trainers, physios, runners etc.) and insurance. It will take some coin to get it up and running.

Agree. Would have to be at least double that.

I think it's on the radar, but not seen as the immediate priority. Doubt they'd announce anything until set in stone, not great to hurt the partner clubs unless we have to and they may also be still hopeful of the Ballarat thing coming to pass and reluctant to give up the affiliation until this is set in stone.

Vic Park and a few others don't have this and patrons can walk in off the street and there are no monies collected upon entry.
The figure quoted previously is for the licence and costs are on top of that - all of which are the reasons Bendigo Gold won't exist as their council are a bunch of f-wits who refused to help.

Unsure where the requirement is for a VFL ground to be fenced, as a number of them aren't.

Vic Park and a few others don't have this and patrons can walk in off the street and there are no monies collected upon entry.
The figure quoted previously is for the licence and costs are on top of that - all of which are the reasons Bendigo Gold won't exist as their council are a bunch of f-wits who refused to help.

Unsure where the requirement is for a VFL ground to be fenced, as a number of them aren't.
s**t, yeah, you are right. I know that Sandy, NB, Werribee, Footscray, Port, Box Hill are fenced and they all collect money. Perhaps the pies don't need the coin or more likely the deal to play at VIc Park after it was set up as a public park was that they couldn't charge?

s**t, yeah, you are right. I know that Sandy, NB, Werribee, Footscray, Port, Box Hill are fenced and they all collect money. Perhaps the pies don't need the coin or more likely the deal to play at VIc Park after it was set up as a public park was that they couldn't charge?

Going back a decade or so when Collingwood and their supporters were engaging "the peoples republic" (local council) for money to upgrade Vic Park the council did so on particular guidelines, supporters weren't happy, then some coterie group or whatever got together and raised whatever they needed. The main sticking point for the coincil at the time was to have VP turned into a public access park which is why the boundary on the southern side near the houses has no fence and all the council did was pay for cement and grass.

But you are right, when it's public access you can't charge to play/enter the ground, I suspect Arden St would be the same given what council has contributed, also remembering the other facilities (gym, pool) are accessible to the public as well.

Let's have our twos team stationed on the Gold Coast for the lulz.

I would love a AFL / VFL double weekend. Surely the club could reap more benefits from doing this. Local team for the people in North Melbourne could help get more support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back