Votes: 5 11.6%
  • What? Should be signed for next year as well

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My views are clear

Im clearly one out with Shaw thinking he should go

We keep winning so what do i know :p

I'll back you up with that one lol, that said Horse knows more than us and he deserves our support.

I'll back you up with that one lol, that said Horse knows more than us and he deserves our support.

Not a question or horses support at all

Just sad to see shaw decline so badly

I'd say he's in our bottom 3 or 4 regular senior players this year and has had a pretty poor couple of weeks but his season really hasn't been that bad. He's always been reasonably poor defensively, the only noticeable difference this year is that he's getting caught holding the ball slightly more and maybe isn't quite as quick off the mark.

I guess if you were looking for a scapegoat to drop then he'd be it but I have no idea how you'd reshuffle the team to accommodate the change without stuffing everything else up which makes talk about dropping him pointless. Pretty much the same situation as Pyke.

There's certainly plenty of worse players than Shaw running around for other teams at the moment.

I'd say he's in our bottom 3 or 4 regular senior players this year and has had a pretty poor couple of weeks but his season really hasn't been that bad. He's always been reasonably poor defensively, the only noticeable difference this year is that he's getting caught holding the ball slightly more and maybe isn't quite as quick off the mark.

I guess if you were looking for a scapegoat to drop then he'd be it but I have no idea how you'd reshuffle the team to accommodate the change without stuffing everything else up which makes talk about dropping him pointless. Pretty much the same situation as Pyke.

There's certainly plenty of worse players than Shaw running around for other teams at the moment.

I disagree on the first bolded part. I think since about his 2nd year with us he's actually been very sound defensively. It seemed to me like when Malceski properly took over as the undisputed primary rebounder out of defence (around 2010), Shaw focused more on his defence and balancing that out with being a good but not huge rebounder. I have always been pretty confident with his defensive qualities.

And yes, I think that second bolded part is the main point. I don't see the point in changing the structure of a very settled defence to shoehorn Craig Bird or Dean Towers or George Hewett into the side at the expense of Shaw. If Zak Jones was setting the world on fire in the reserves, then perhaps, but I believe he's injured in any case. Nic Newman looks the goods to me, but he wouldn't be a good fit to play Shaw's role to me given he's more of a Malceski rebounder. Harry Marsh sounds like he's doing well as a small/medium defender but I'd always prefer 200+ games of experience in defence over 0 games of experience as we start the second half of the season on the way to finals.

I disagree on the first bolded part. I think since about his 2nd year with us he's actually been very sound defensively. It seemed to me like when Malceski properly took over as the undisputed primary rebounder out of defence (around 2010), Shaw focused more on his defence and balancing that out with being a good but not huge rebounder. I have always been pretty confident with his defensive qualities.

I think he's always been good at tackling and harassing players. Never thought he was great in one on one marking contests though.

Share all the frustrations about Shaw. There's this one thing though. When we get bogged down with our game it's always Shaw who can be relied on to get his skates on and try to recreate our run out of defence. Sure, he fumbles and butchers his kicks and makes poor decisions etc. But you do know that he will always try to break the shackles.

I think he's always been good at tackling and harassing players. Never thought he was great in one on one marking contests though.

Perhaps not, but as a small defender I don't think it's been a glaring weakness that has hurt us that much.

It just hit me that 2010 was the year that Shaw got dumped from playing in defence and had to go forward as a defensive forward or play as a tagger. That probably emphasised to him to become a better pure defender while getting less ball for rebounding over the next few years.

He basically have up 3 goals with his slow and sloppy decision making and weak defence, so I don't forgive him anything. Wouldn't have been as close if it wasn't for him.

He basically have up 3 goals with his slow and sloppy decision making and weak defence, so I don't forgive him anything. Wouldn't have been as close if it wasn't for him.

I hesitate to defend him here as yes, he was quite poor on the weekend, however on one of those occassions where he was caught holding the ball Goodes was just as much at fault if not more. Shaw was at half back looking for an option up forward. Instead of leading (which Shaw motioned for Goodes to do several times) Goodes, kept motioning for Shaw to kick the ball over the back which was well beyond Shaw's range at the time. Had Goodes done what 90% of players would have done and would be instructed by their coach to do, Shaw would not have been caught.

And the Nahas one was a clear in the back, but that doesn't really absolve Shaw of any responsibilty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a question or horses support at all

Just sad to see shaw decline so badly

Age catches up with everyone sometime and unfortunately a one position player always magnifies this issue. Not like he is Goodes where we can chuck him forward and he'll do a role.

Age catches up with everyone sometime and unfortunately a one position player always magnifies this issue. Not like he is Goodes where we can chuck him forward and he'll do a role.

Of course mate age catches up with everyone especially at 33 but Shaw still has his pace which is probably why he is still in the side, this year with the loss of Mal Rampe and Shaw have had extra responsibility put on their shoulders which is probably why they are making more errors than last year.

Of course mate age catches up with everyone especially at 33 but Shaw still has his pace which is probably why he is still in the side, this year with the loss of Mal Rampe and Shaw have had extra responsibility put on their shoulders which is probably why they are making more errors than last year.

Not so much the pace that declines, it is decision making that decline. The real elite players get around this but ones that are very one positioned seem to have issues. Still feel Malceski last season tapered over Shaw's season, as I felt his decision making was inconsistent last season.

Share all the frustrations about Shaw. There's this one thing though. When we get bogged down with our game it's always Shaw who can be relied on to get his skates on and try to recreate our run out of defence. Sure, he fumbles and butchers his kicks and makes poor decisions etc. But you do know that he will always try to break the shackles.

I agree with this view.
I walked away from the game thinking he was done when I could recall the mistakes he made.
I watched the first half last night & he actually delivered the ball well & got his skates on quite a few times. I'll watch the second half tonight but after the match I did see Kieren Jack consoling him so poor old Rhys knows he made some blunders.
He is a great leader in the backline & I agree with another poster that at this point of the season & with 200 games of knowledge, he certainly deserves a spot in a team that hasn't dropped a game for 7 weeks.

Should we lose because of constant errors & a better option in the seconds becomes available then it would be time for Rhys to step back.

I trust the bloke to keep his skates on & provide great attack from the backline.
He plays a high risk, high reward game style. When he stops taking the game on, it's time to call it a day.

The first time I have bought into this argument and only doing so after carefully watching the replay of the Norf game.

I think Shaw's now a 50/50 proposition. The coaching staff want to keep backing him in but there are clear alternatives in Jones and now Newman. If Shaw was to get injured for a couple of games I'm sure one of those two could cover the absence and maybe even keep Shaw out.

He may or may not see out the year but is a certain retiree, hopefully to stay involved from next year with younger players.

The first time I have bought into this argument and only doing so after carefully watching the replay of the Norf game.

I think Shaw's now a 50/50 proposition. The coaching staff want to keep backing him in but there are clear alternatives in Jones and now Newman. If Shaw was to get injured for a couple of games I'm sure one of those two could cover the absence and maybe even keep Shaw out.

He may or may not see out the year but is a certain retiree, hopefully to stay involved from next year with younger players.

Agreed, sort of where I see Shaw as right now. Poor the last few weeks but was instrumental against Hawthorn and I'm not forgetting that, and I do have to question whether the alternatives would not fold under pressure against Hawthorn or Freo for that matter

I am frustrated as well.

The issue is not just shaw. It's the defense. They are not rebounding with confidence and it's hard to watch.

We need Rampe to step up and take Mal's position definitively. And we need a new Shaw

Pittard from PA would be close

I would much rather Pittard, his intercept markling and rebound are far more effective than Shaw has been for at least a year or so.

Shaw is all but done, surely. He has been a great contributor but his weaknesses and age are now being exposed more regularly. We need to be preparing someone to replace him now, rather than a week or so from finals. Don't be surprised if there's a sudden mid-season retirement announcement ... although as someone else hinted at in a post, we're winning so that glosses over difficult issues.

Back