• need more time but he is on his last legs

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • No he is still good

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • What? Should be signed for next year as well

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the alternatives whatever they may be deserve serious consideration if pain persists

i would not drop Shaw for the richmond game. I would monitor him over the next month

I suspect that if Jones wasn't injured they would have played him in Shaw's spot.

I think the horse has bolted from the 'blood someone new to replace Shaw' camp. It's too late in the season for that. It appears the coaching staff has backed him in for the year.

I really don't think he's been that bad. He's always managed a few clangers, so it's nothing new really. And he still does some good things.

Is our defense looking shaky because they're having to compensate for Shaw's deficiencies? Perhaps, but you'd need a few games without him in the side to really determine if that's the case.

I think he still does enough, but can definitely be exposed by good opposition.

But what I'm thinking, is say we blood a youngster to replace him, will they be able to perform when the pressure is at it's most intense? With Shaw, you know he will have the experience and confidence to play to his absolute maximum. He won't go into his shell, he won't crumble. Will he make mistakes, yes. Can he be exposed at times, yes. But what's the alternative? You play a youngster who will look great when things are going well, but when they go south in a big match, an untried player will generally go to water. Particularly when you look at who we have left in the side.

You look at the Heeneys, Towers, Cunninghams and B.Jacks of the side. They've been given a go at various times throughout the year. They're the insurance. There's a reason why the coaches haven't pulled the trigger. There's doubts whether those players will be able to perform to Shaw's standard when the heat is on.

Only concern I have now is that we'll run into the same problem next year, unless we pick up a solid defender.

I think the horse has bolted from the 'blood someone new to replace Shaw' camp. It's too late in the season for that. It appears the coaching staff has backed him in for the year.

I really don't think he's been that bad. He's always managed a few clangers, so it's nothing new really. And he still does some good things.

Is our defense looking shaky because they're having to compensate for Shaw's deficiencies? Perhaps, but you'd need a few games without him in the side to really determine if that's the case.

I think he still does enough, but can definitely be exposed by good opposition.

But what I'm thinking, is say we blood a youngster to replace him, will they be able to perform when the pressure is at it's most intense? With Shaw, you know he will have the experience and confidence to play to his absolute maximum. He won't go into his shell, he won't crumble. Will he make mistakes, yes. Can he be exposed at times, yes. But what's the alternative? You play a youngster who will look great when things are going well, but when they go south in a big match, an untried player will generally go to water. Particularly when you look at who we have left in the side.

You look at the Heeneys, Towers, Cunninghams and B.Jacks of the side. They've been given a go at various times throughout the year. They're the insurance. There's a reason why the coaches haven't pulled the trigger. There's doubts whether those players will be able to perform to Shaw's standard when the heat is on.

Only concern I have now is that we'll run into the same problem next year, unless we pick up a solid defender.

Agree. Rampe looked better than Shaw end of last year but it was Shaw who stood up in the GF. He's been playing reasonably well the last few weeks but his game against North was pretty average. Probably line ball with Rampe's hot/cold approach. Those two are still the key to our rebound game. They have to take risks to generate the offensive, especially while we're not getting our share of the clearances. Personally I think defenders get put under the microscope way more than anyone else and the job is harder. The balls coming in (generally) to the other team's advantage. They have to not only negate that advantage but try to win the ball and launch an offensive. Compare that to running into space and having a team mate place it on your chest. I look at Grundy take contested marks against a huge forward where a midfielder has kicked to the advantage of that forward and I think, how much harder is that than our forwards taking a mark inside 50 ?

Well when you're comparing him to someone who has little to no experience in those situations, his experience becomes very relevant.

And @ bungee, the way the ball is being delivered into our forward line at times our forwards have just as much hope as the defenders (tongue in cheek). On a serious not, I have to agree, a mistake is always magnified when it leads to a goal.

Agree. Rampe looked better than Shaw end of last year but it was Shaw who stood up in the GF. He's been playing reasonably well the last few weeks but his game against North was pretty average. Probably line ball with Rampe's hot/cold approach. Those two are still the key to our rebound game. They have to take risks to generate the offensive, especially while we're not getting our share of the clearances. Personally I think defenders get put under the microscope way more than anyone else and the job is harder. The balls coming in (generally) to the other team's advantage. They have to not only negate that advantage but try to win the ball and launch an offensive. Compare that to running into space and having a team mate place it on your chest. I look at Grundy take contested marks against a huge forward where a midfielder has kicked to the advantage of that forward and I think, how much harder is that than our forwards taking a mark inside 50 ?
Lol , Shaw in the GF

lets not rewrite history here. its not like malceski was consistently hitting forwards on the lead either. for years we have been saying how poor our kicking to the forwards has been. what mal gave us was an extra option out of the back line. if you have mattner, mal and shaw all running the ball out you can have smith reg and ted holding the structure defensively. if you only have shaw and rampe running it out and have laidler, ted, reg and smith all sitting back the number of options to receive a handball drops very substantially. so we have a lot of stop plays in the back half just as the competition has developed zonal defence in the forward half. smith's kick on the weekend was a classic case of a stop play kick back to the corridor where there were 5 north players and only tom mitchell. leaving to one side the decision-making (seriously kicking to the shortest player on the side in the pack of north players) the problem is that you have a choice - do you bomb it long to the line or go back to the corridor ? That was rampe's bad kick as well on the weekend.

To some degree you have to take the good with the bad. If you want the team to attack from the back line then they have to make the riskier kick. Our real problem is that replacing mal with laidler has given us an extra marking option and a genuinely better defender but we have lost a lot of run from the back line. Replacing it with mcveigh doesnt improve it much either. he is painfully slow and despite being (IMHO) the best kick on our team he isnt a super long kick. Him taking handballs running past doesnt exactly inspire panic in another team because he always looks for the 20 metre pass - which improves our position a little

Thoughts on plating Heeney in Shaws Role? Great disposal and good decision maker. Would love to see this.

Thoughts on plating Heeney in Shaws Role? Great disposal and good decision maker. Would love to see this.

Heeney in Robinson's position thanks, and then one of Newman/Marsh in for Shaw, or Zac Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan back into Shaw's spot.
Heeney, Robinson, Towers or BJ into the fwd line in Rohan's spot.

Part of Shaw's problem is that players seem to have got taller, and he's stayed the same height. He can't compete overhead with any of the resting mids from other teams, because they're all 188-190cm now, and he's 182. He's restricted to the frantic overhead arm-chop, or dragging his opponent down, either way, he's likely to give a free away.

Sure he gives great run from the back half, but he's becoming a defensive liability.

Rohan back into Shaw's spot.
Heeney, Robinson, Towers or BJ into the fwd line in Rohan's spot.

Part of Shaw's problem is that players seem to have got taller, and he's stayed the same height. He can't compete overhead with any of the resting mids from other teams, because they're all 188-190cm now, and he's 182. He's restricted to the frantic overhead arm-chop, or dragging his opponent down, either way, he's likely to give a free away.

Sure he gives great run from the back half, but he's becoming a defensive liability.

You listed Brandon Jack as an option...can you pass me the bucket please.i don't like the notion of changing Rohan's position again, he is having his best season and you want to change it? We have defenders in the reserves, bring one of them in.

Shaw out, Cunningham to take over his role, Heeney to replace Cunningham's role.

Shaw out, Cunningham to take over his role, Heeney to replace Cunningham's role.

I would have considerably less confidence with cunningham in the back line than shaw. His kick out of the scrimmage on sat night was about as brainless a kick as you will find - at least shaw is usually trying to hit someone.

In any case he would become another smith, so focussed on locking down his opponent that we get nothing from him in the game.

this is the problem - everyone is trying to find an answer and there aren't any obvious ones. so we spend our whole time reaching...

I would have considerably less confidence with cunningham in the back line than shaw. His kick out of the scrimmage on sat night was about as brainless a kick as you will find - at least shaw is usually trying to hit someone.

That is sort of true, Cunningham in the backline scares me more than Shaw does.

One minute it couldn't get worse than Shaw the next, why yes it can!
Shaw is like old age, not bad when you consider the alternative(s). :)

It could be worse, we could have given him a 3 year extension. That said I still feel Shaw is going to be important against Hawthorn, Freo, Geelong, etc.

In any case he would become another smith, so focussed on locking down his opponent that we get nothing from him in the game.

this is the problem - everyone is trying to find an answer and there aren't any obvious ones. so we spend our whole time reaching...

Thought Cunningham was good in the backline in 2014.

It could be worse, we could have given him a 3 year extension. That said I still feel Shaw is going to be important against Hawthorn, Freo, Geelong, etc.

If we didn't have Shaw and all those other turnover merchants then we would be perfect. How boring would the season be?

If we didn't have Shaw and all those other turnover merchants then we would be perfect. How boring would the season be?

I'm thinking of my new tv...it could be a good thing if Shaw wasn't out there lol

Thought Cunningham was good in the backline in 2014.

Whaaaaaat?
When did Harry play in the backline?

My thought as well. He played a defensive half forward/wing role last year, stopping the oppositions half back runner (Hill and Del Santo in the first two finals to great success) this year we aren't using that role for him due to form and change to the gameplan, but I see no reason why he, Shaw, McVeigh and Jetta couldn't rotate across the back flanks to set up attacks in a perfect world. Alas its not a perfect world.

Regardless of what people think Shaw he will only go out of this team due to injury, as Horse prefers to keep our defensive line up as settled as possible. Time for the midfield to improve their clearance work so the defence isn't under so much pressure.

Back