Movie What is your all time favourite Australian movie? NOW WITH POLL

What is your all time favourite Australian movie?

• Wolf Creek

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • The Castle

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • Animal Kingdom

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Lantana

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock

• The Dish

• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Muriel's Wedding

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mad Max

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Last Cab to Darwin

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • The Proposition

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Alvin Purple

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Romper Stomper

• Other

Votes: 55 24.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen plenty over many years, including - The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith; The Cars that ate Paris; Alvin Purple; The Adventures of Barry McKenzie; They're a weird mob; Picnic at Hanging Rock; Red Dog; Last Cab to Darwin; Mad Max; Getting of Wisdom; My Brilliant Career; Gallipoli; Breaker Morant; Crocodile Dundee; Muriel's Wedding; Strictly Ballroom; Animal Kingdom; and Australia.

My all time favourite is The Castle. It was such a simple, low budget movie with unforgettable characters. In fact Rob Sitch is on record as saying The Castle was made in 1997 to raise funds for another movie produced by Working Dog, The Dish.

Has there ever been a more quoted Australian movie?

No love for Priscilla?;)

No particular order - Muriel's Wedding, The Rover, Mad Max1&2, Shine, Chopper, & I think it may have been a telemovie but I really like The Shiralee, good viewing if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:

I've seen plenty over many years, including - The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith; The Cars that ate Paris; Alvin Purple; The Adventures of Barry McKenzie; They're a weird mob; Picnic at Hanging Rock; Red Dog; Last Cab to Darwin; Mad Max; Getting of Wisdom; My Brilliant Career; Gallipoli; Breaker Morant; Crocodile Dundee; Muriel's Wedding; Strictly Ballroom; Animal Kingdom; and Australia.

My all time favourite is The Castle. It was such a simple, low budget movie with unforgettable characters. In fact Rob Sitch is on record as saying The Castle was made in 1997 to raise funds for another movie produced by Working Dog, The Dish.

Has there ever been a more quoted Australian movie?

Wasn't a fan of The Dish but the others are Aussie classics

Wasn't a fan of The Dish but the others are Aussie classics
I watched Last Cab to Darwin on a plane two weeks ago - I really liked it. Michael Caton is an underrated Australian icon

Probably Noise. Not as critically acclaimed as something like Lantana, and the plot is perhaps a little weak, but definitely my favourite crime film in terms of atmosphere and characterisation. I saw it in an empty cinema, which really made the best of the quite excellent use of sound in the film. Definitely recommend watching this one in a home theatre with a top notch surround sound system.

I have a fondness for Strictly Ballroom as well. Only Baz Luhrmann film I like though.

Gettin' Square yor honna.

gettin-post.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaker Morant.

Not the best Aussie movie but the acting is fantastic and the story is a great political/courtroom drama.

Back