Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Arrival was ******* brilliant.

We’re talking the Denis Villenueve movie with Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner yeh?
It was the distant runt of the Best Picture nominees that year

Moonlight, LLL, Manchester, Hacksaw, Lion, Fences, Hidden Figures & Hell or High Water. All 8 of those were much better.

hear hear, I think it's rubbish too. There are some people out there who treat that film as the pinnacle, it's really baffling. Indeed, I think Lange was better that year in Frances. Meryl is good, but the surrounding film is just baity crap.
I couldn't stand her in this tbh. And her accent annoyed the hell out of me as well.

What it represents was clearly stated, and you guessed the suggestion correctly. I'm a big fan of Crimson Tide, Man on Fire and Deja Vu (and Denzel), Ridley just had a lot of great stuff beyond a few Denzels, y'know (interesting you overlook The Taking of Pelham 123). It can also be deduced that 9 of the bottom 11 are Tony. Even with this supposed Ridley 2002 fall-off, his very next film Matchstick Men was the best thing he'd made since Thelma & Louise. Even though it's just my opinion, I'm just providing evidence that your take through sheer weight of numbers doesn't necessarily stack up. It's not a competition, I think Tony is awesome, I like all their early shorts as well and was devastated when he died.
Fair enough and each to their own. Ridley had 2 absolute classic iconic films in Blade Runner and Alien. After that, you can throw a blanket over a bunch of movies and if someone said they had Top Gun and Crimson Tide as 3 & 4, it wouldn’t be an absurd opinion.

True Romance is a personal classic.

I also didn’t mind Domino for what it’s worth and thought it was a lot better than a lot of the movies you had higher on your list, and up there with the later Denzel movies. But thought that might a take too hot.

Kingdom of Heaven at two?

Not entertained by Gladiator?

how i met your mother barney GIF
Both of these are white hot.

It's Nolan - so make of it what you will. A handful of nice concepts but I just didn't think it was well executed. Stylish, though.

The Arrival is raved about but take away the twist and it's a middling alien movie imo. Maybe I'd react differently if I had kids, I dunno.
You take away the twist in Sixth Sense and it’s pretty ******* average too. I love Arrival but this isn’t really a defence of arrival it’s more a “if my mum had wheels she’d be a bike” sort of thing.

You take away the twist in Sixth Sense and it’s pretty ******* average too. I love Arrival but this isn’t really a defence of arrival it’s more a “if my mum had wheels she’d be a bike” sort of thing.
It's not really, the scene in the car with Toni Collette and Hayley Joel Osmont is captivating.

The Sixth Sense is a snoozefest
Stop trying to own this thread :tearsofjoy:

It's not really, the scene in the car with Toni Collette and Hayley Joel Osmont is captivating.

Stop trying to own this thread :tearsofjoy:
Arrival doesnt have one single captivating scene? One scene does not a film make my guy.

Either way, both have those twists so they can be judged with them, i think both are really ******* great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arrival doesnt have one single captivating scene? One scene does not a film make my guy.

Either way, both have those twists so they can be judged with them, i think both are really ******* great.
I wasn't making the case for Arrival being bad, I loved Arrival (and Interstellar, Edge of Tomorrow is a great action flick but I rate both of these above it). I was just responding to the point that without the twist, The Sixth Sense would be average. Disagree with that.

I wasn't making the case for Arrival being bad, I loved Arrival (and Interstellar, Edge of Tomorrow is a great action flick but I rate both of these above it). I was just responding to the point that without the twist, The Sixth Sense would be average. Disagree with that.
Oh my apologies. I love them both but it seems Arrival being good is a hot take so settle in with me man.

It was the distant runt of the Best Picture nominees that year

Moonlight, LLL, Manchester, Hacksaw, Lion, Fences, Hidden Figures & Hell or High Water. All 8 of those were much better.
Hidden Figures, Jesus.

FWIW i like all those films (thats actually a pretty stacked year) but its also almost impossible to compare them.

Hidden Figures is basically The Help with some better performances, id say thats one of the weakest (still enjoyable but nowhere near BP).

Lion, Manchester, Hell or High Water and Fences are all deeply character driven reliant on performances (and i think Fences is pretty average, Manchester is also a movie ill never rewatch i know its good but its slow and a real tough sit).

I loved LaLaLand (i probably had it winning) but its a musical love letter to Hollywood with a crushing ending.

Moonlight probably in the Lion mould.

Hacksaw Ridge i actually thought was pretty s**t and in the pantheon of war movies its not even near the top 30? Thats the worst in that list.

Arrival is really really unique and masterfully executed IMO. I actually always felt it was hugely underrated and one of Villenueves best (if not his best).

I loved Moonlight, but it should have pushed the envelope waaaaay more to make it better.
Yeh i liked Moonlight but it was a bit meandering. Its beautifully shot and well made, i also have no issue with it winning, i preferred LaLaLand personally but im pretty fine admitting thats personal preference.

If im ranking those BP noms id have Arrival second or Third. Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures and Fences i wouldnt have nominated at all.

Yeh i liked Moonlight but it was a bit meandering. Its beautifully shot and well made, i also have no issue with it winning, i preferred LaLaLand personally but im pretty fine admitting thats personal preference.

If im ranking those BP noms id have Arrival second or Third. Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures and Fences i wouldnt have nominated at all.
I enjoyed how it was split into three phases of his life/age. The acting in it was great, but i totally agree re. the meandering observation. It was a little like that.

Hidden Figures, Jesus.

FWIW i like all those films (thats actually a pretty stacked year) but its also almost impossible to compare them.

Hidden Figures is basically The Help with some better performances, id say thats one of the weakest (still enjoyable but nowhere near BP).

Lion, Manchester, Hell or High Water and Fences are all deeply character driven reliant on performances (and i think Fences is pretty average, Manchester is also a movie ill never rewatch i know its good but its slow and a real tough sit).

I loved LaLaLand (i probably had it winning) but its a musical love letter to Hollywood with a crushing ending.

Moonlight probably in the Lion mould.

Hacksaw Ridge i actually thought was pretty s**t and in the pantheon of war movies its not even near the top 30? Thats the worst in that list.

Arrival is really really unique and masterfully executed IMO. I actually always felt it was hugely underrated and one of Villenueves best (if not his best).
Liking Arrival is not a hot take at all dude, I would say the best of that lot.

Although there is a single line of Jeremy Renner dialogue right at the end that cheeses me out every time.

You know I've had my head tilted up to the stars for as long as I can remember. You know what surprised me the most? It wasn't meeting them. It was meeting you.

🤮🤮🤮

Such a jarringly bad piece of dialogue in what would otherwise be a masterpiece from Villenueve.

Liking Arrival is not a hot take at all dude, I would say the best of that lot.

Although there is a single line of Jeremy Renner dialogue right at the end that cheeses me out every time.

You know I've had my head tilted up to the stars for as long as I can remember. You know what surprised me the most? It wasn't meeting them. It was meeting you.

🤮🤮🤮

Such a jarringly bad piece of dialogue in what would otherwise be a masterpiece from Villenueve.
That is pretty cheesy. It does sound like something a star nerd would say to a girl though.

Overall I think Denis Villeneuve is overrated.

Dune and Arrival sort of drag on but not in a pleasant way. Maybe if I read the books I might have appreciated Dune more. No, I did not see the original movie. I appreciate the world building though.

Meanwhile Blade Runner 2049 is indeed one heck of a fine film and rates amongst my favourite sci-fi of all time - and better than the original imo. Maybe it's just me.

Dune and Arrival sort of drag on but not in a pleasant way. Maybe if I read the books I might have appreciated Dune more. No, I did not see the original movie. I appreciate the world building though.

Meanwhile Blade Runner 2049 is indeed one heck of a fine film and rates amongst my favourite sci-fi of all time - and better than the original imo. Maybe it's just me.
I reckon the pacing in Arrival is totally fine, clocks just under two hours and is pretty rewatchable/entertaining imo.

Villeneuve's run of Prisoners > Enemy > Sicario > Arrival had me really excited.

Since then he has gone all for sci-fi IP which is much less interesting to me.

I’m the opposite, man’s a genius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back