Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

If im ranking those BP noms id have Arrival second or Third. Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures and Fences i wouldnt have nominated at all.
Looking at my 2016 (and discounting docs and tv stuff), I have the nominees like this:

4. Manchester
5. Hacksaw
7. Lion
8. LLL
11. Moonlight
———
27. Fences
32. Hidden Figures
35. Hell or High Water
———
93. Arrival
(from 154 overall)

Overall that’s a pretty good spread for any Oscars year which I’d take in a heartbeat (Arrival is a decent ‘worst’, like Trial of the Chicago 7 in 2020). Bit weak towards the top, no masterpieces that year, but good depth. Moonlight was better for me with repeat viewings. Felt a bit underwhelming in cinemas but to me it’s better than any winners since. Hidden Figures and The Help both appeared cringey at the time but once I eventually caught up with them I did find them very appealing, they aren’t out of place as nominees. I’ve just got an eternally forgiving soft spot for Mel, typically enjoy his directed films.

Last edited:
It was the distant runt of the Best Picture nominees that year

Moonlight, LLL, Manchester, Hacksaw, Lion, Fences, Hidden Figures & Hell or High Water. All 8 of those were much better.

I'd go:

1. Moonlight - masterpiece
2. Arrival - contrary to another post here, this and Dune are Villeneuve's standouts for me so far
3. La La Land
4. Manchester by the Sea
5. Hell or High Water
6. Lion - parts of it were emotionally affecting, but large parts of it were people looking at Google Maps
7. Hacksaw Ridge - widely inconsistent, with some great moments and some that had my eyes rolling out of my head
8. Hidden Figures - boring Hollywood dross, albeit well acted
9. Fences - the play is terrific. This was about as cinematically uninteresting as you could make it in adapting it into a film.

I'd go:

1. Moonlight - masterpiece
2. Arrival - contrary to another post here, this and Dune are Villeneuve's standouts for me so far
3. La La Land
4. Manchester by the Sea
5. Hell or High Water
6. Lion - parts of it were emotionally affecting, but large parts of it were people looking at Google Maps
7. Hacksaw Ridge - widely inconsistent, with some great moments and some that had my eyes rolling out of my head
8. Hidden Figures - boring Hollywood dross, albeit well acted
9. Fences - the play is terrific. This was about as cinematically uninteresting as you could make it in adapting it into a film.
I’d probably flip 1 and 3 and 7 and 9 but pretty close for me

I think you mean it would be boring if the hot takes WERENT constantly challenged, but I agree.

I love Gladiator but enjoyed Shell's hot take on it and happy to listen to the reasons why, don't really need to inform her and others that it was the epic to end all epics (imo) and that her opinion was blasphemous. Just post an 'are you not entertained?' GIF to harvest a few likes and move on.

Hmm, maybe time for one more hot take - Wild Things is held up as a quintessential erotic thriller by many but without the threesome scene and Denise Richards' boobs it would be mostly forgotten today. And yes, I do admit I watched it for other purposes too.

Based on the convo in the Last Movie You've Seen thread, this may be my hottest of hot takes.

Mads Mikkelsen is a better Hannibal than Anthony Hopkins.
I love it. I don’t think I agree with it but I reckon Mads Bond villain is top 3 all time so I can see how this plays

Hmm, maybe time for one more hot take - Wild Things is held up as a quintessential erotic thriller by many but without the threesome scene and Denise Richards' boobs it would be mostly forgotten today. And yes, I do admit I watched it for other purposes too.

Agree would have been as good as Wild Things 2/3
Or butterfly effect 2

Gladiator GIF

Death No GIF

(fwiw I loved it as a kid)

I don't watch it as often as I used to, but when I do (every 2 years or so in full, but will tune in to it on tv if I catch it on) it's still very entertaining. The 4K release is stellar!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although it's close Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad.

Not really a hot take, think the split on which one is better is roughly even and the gap is not big in any event.

Possibly the greatest 'twin' series in TV history.

Wild Things was an erotic thriller for those who wanted less thriller and more erotic.

Except it isn't even THAT erotic, lots of other movies of that genre have more erotic content.

It was an erotic thriller for the lowest common denominator audience.

But, flipside, Bacon dick.

I think Cheers / Frasier is pretty hard to beat
If they qualify I'd nominate -

Seinfeld / Curb Your Enthusiasm
Twin Peaks / Twin Peaks: The Return
The Wire / We Own This City

Remove this Banner Ad

Back