List Mgmt. Ranking the MFC list

Remove this Banner Ad

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just read this and it got me thinking that ranking our players from 1 to 45 in terms of importance for the 2016 season would be quite a fun exercise. If anybody else can be bothered, that is...

Anyways, here's mine:

1. Nathan Jones
2. Jesse Hogan
3. Jack Viney
4. Bernie Vince
5. Max Gawn
6. Tom McDonald
7. Dom Tyson
8. Jeff Garlett
9. Aaron Vandenberg
10. Lynden Dunn
11. Christian Salem
12. Angus Brayshaw
13. Jack Watts
14. Colin Garland
15. Neville Jetta
16. Sam Frost
17. Dean Kent
18. Christian Petracca
19. Jack Grimes
20. Cam Pederson
21. Heritier Lumumba
22. Tom Bugg
23. Jake Spencer
24. Chris Dawes
25. Ben Newton
26. Billy Stretch
27. Jay Kennedy-Harris
28. James Harmes
29. Ben Kennedy
30. Alex Neal-Bullen
31. Jack Trengove
32. Oscar McDonald
33. Clayton Oliver
34. Sam Weidemann
35. Matt Jones
36. Viv Michie
37. Mitch White
38. Jayden Hunt
39. Dean Terlich
40. Liam Hulett
41. Josh Wagner
42. Mitch King
43. Max King
44. Joel Smith
45. Jake Melksham

Hogan
Gawn
Viney
TMac
Jones
Vince
Salem
Tyson
Kent
Garlett
Petracca
Brawshaw

Anyone else we can cover for a stretch without falling off too much. The last two are projections and not that defendable but I don't care. Still rate Dunn, Pedo, Jetta etc but they aren't irreplaceable in the short term.

1. J Hogan
2. N Jones
3. M Gawn
4. J Viney
5. B Vince
6. T Mcdonald
7. J. Garlett
8. L. Dunn
9. D Tyson
10. C Salem
11. C. Dawes or C Pederson (either one needs to step up for the team to go forward)
12. D Kent
13. A Brayshaw
14. N. Jetta
15. H Lumumba
16. A. Vandenberg
17. C Garland
18. J Watts
19. C Petracca
20. T Bugg
21. S Frost
22. J Harmes
23. J Spencer
24. J. Trengrove
25. J Grimes
26. B Newton
27. B Stretch
28. B Kennedy
29. J Kennedy-Harris
30. A Neal-Bullen
31. The other one of Dawes and Pedo who doesn't step up (Im suspecting this will be Dawes but hoping Im wrong)
32. O McDonald
33. C Oliver
34. S Weidemann
35. V Michie
36. M White
37. M Jones
38. L. Hulett
39. J. Hunt
40. J Wagner
41. D. Terlich
42. Mi King
43. Ma King
44. J Smith
45. J Melksham

I thought SEN got it pretty much spot on.
Inconsistent. SEN listed players in the starting 18 who weren't in the top 18 list of importance and visa versa (see Lumumba at HBF and 19, Watts at 14 on the bench, Bugg at 18 and on the bench, Petracca in a pocket but doesn't even get a rating as he hasn't played a game).

Inconsistent. SEN listed players in the starting 18 who weren't in the top 18 list of importance and visa versa (see Lumumba at HBF and 19, Watts at 14 on the bench, Bugg at 18 and on the bench, Petracca in a pocket but doesn't even get a rating as he hasn't played a game).

Yip - I was talking more about the best 22. "importance" was a tad misleading - for me its more trying to work out what you are trying to achieve. For example, if we are trying to make the 8 vs a development year my rankings for "importance" would be totally different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Max Gawn
2. Jesse Hogan
3. Nathan Jones
4. Tom McDonald
5. Bernie Vince
6. Lynden Dunn
7. Jack Viney
8. Dom Tyson
9. Jeff Garlett
10. Neville Jetta

11. Christian Salem
12. Angus Brayshaw
13. Aaron vandenBerg
14. Colin Garland
15. Dean Kent
16. Cam Pedersen
17. Christian Petracca
18. Sam Frost
19. Jake Spencer
20. Jack Watts

21. Tom Bugg
22. Heritier Lumumba
23. Chris Dawes
24. Billy Stretch
25. Jack Grimes
26. Jack Trengove
27. Ben Kennedy
28. Alex Neal-Bullen
29. James Harmes
30. Ben Newton

31. Jake Melksham
32. Mitch White
33. Viv Michie
34. Jay Kennedy-Harris
35. Clayton Oliver
36. Oscar McDonald
37. Liam Hulett
38. Max King
39. Matt Jones
40. Sam Weideman

41. Josh Wagner
42. Jayden Hunt
43. Dean Terlich
44. Mitch King
45. Joel Smith

Last edited:
Is Gawn really that important to us? Both SEN and a lot of you think so. I would have Bernie and Viney above him. I'm trying to think of a scenario where, 20 mins before a game, Gawn gets injured. Do I see that as an instant loss for us? No.
I guess I should put my money where my mouth is: (only doing top 20 because it gets kind of meaningless after that)

1. Nathan Jones
2. Jesse Hogan
3. Bernie Vince
4. Jack Viney
5. Tom McDonald
6. Max Gawn
7. Lynden Dunn
8. Dom Tyson
9. Jeff Garlett
10. Dean Kent
11.Colin Garland
12. Angus Brayshaw
13. Neville Jetta
14. Jack Watts
15. Chris Dawes
16. Aaron vandenBerg
17. Christian Salem
18. Tomas Bugg
19. Heritier Lumumba
20. Sam Frost

I'll be honest even the bottom ten doesn't reallyy mean much to me. But the top 5 are the players that I want/we need on the park every week.

Is Gawn really that important to us? Both SEN and a lot of you think so. I would have Bernie and Viney above him. I'm trying to think of a scenario where, 20 mins before a game, Gawn gets injured. Do I see that as an instant loss for us? No.
I guess I should put my money where my mouth is: (only doing top 20 because it gets kind of meaningless after that)

1. Nathan Jones
2. Jesse Hogan
3. Bernie Vince
4. Jack Viney
5. Tom McDonald
6. Max Gawn
7. Lynden Dunn
8. Dom Tyson
9. Jeff Garlett
10. Dean Kent
11.Colin Garland
12. Angus Brayshaw
13. Neville Jetta
14. Jack Watts
15. Chris Dawes
16. Aaron vandenBerg
17. Christian Salem
18. Tomas Bugg
19. Heritier Lumumba
20. Sam Frost

I'll be honest even the bottom ten doesn't reallyy mean much to me. But the top 5 are the players that I want/we need on the park every week.
If Gawn goes down we are essentially left with Spencer who is serviceable but has alot less strings to his bow particularly around the ground. I expect the existing gap between them to widen in 2016.

When talking importance you're talking structure, role and ease of replacement as well as obviously quality and age/development. Gawn and Hogan are a clear one and two for mine. Whose first and whose second you can flip a coin, but if either of them go down we have a real problem to deal with. Jones is extremely important particularly as an onfield leader, but he's a predominantly inside mid of which we now have a few. He's not our most important player.

fwiw, Salem is going to be more important this season than your ranking suggests. We have been starved of a player with his all round attributes for a long time. The only problem is we can't clone him.

Good points all. I still find it hard to believe Gawn is the no 1 or 2 most important but in terms of replaceability yeah he probably is. Jones as most important was fairly sentimental of me. How many games has he missed though? Not many. Tbh it's hard to get a guage on how we'd go without him.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We're probably all doing Garland a bit of a dis-service too - very important to us in terms of a cool head in the backline with hot head Dunny and the quieter McDonald and Jetta

We're probably all doing Garland a bit of a dis-service too - very important to us in terms of a cool head in the backline with hot head Dunny and the quieter McDonald and Jetta
1-15 on my list are all to a certain extent irreplaceable, which includes Col. That is to say you could replace them but the team would noticeably suffer from their absence. Petracca could well elevate himself into this category but it's hard to say just yet when he hasn't played a game.

I actually reckon Col is positioned to have close to his best year. He's been building for the past couple of seasons. His best footy last year was as good as he's played. There was a fair gap between that and his worst. Like a lot of players he needs to become consistent and I think 2016 is his year to do it.

Good points all. I still find it hard to believe Gawn is the no 1 or 2 most important but in terms of replaceability yeah he probably is. Jones as most important was fairly sentimental of me. How many games has he missed though? Not many. Tbh it's hard to get a guage on how we'd go without him.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Since debut (Round 17, 2006):

2006: 8 games [8 possible]
2007: 21 [22]
2008: 21 [22]
2009: 20 [22]
2010: 22 [22]
2011: 22 [22]
2012: 21 [22]
2013: 22 [22]
2014: 22 [22]
2015: 22 [22]

I make that 201 out of the last 206 games.

EDIT: Those five games netted five losses. Am I making this up, or have we not won a game without Nathan Jones since 2006?

Last edited:
I make that 201 out of the last 206 games.

EDIT: Those five games netted five losses. Am I making this up, or have we not won a game without Nathan Jones since 2006?
Conclusion: Based on scientific evidence, Nate Jones to the top of the Most Important list.

I think everyone has possibly got Garlett too low. (I say that without having put my own on the line...) But he was our second highest goal kicker in his first season with the club, in a team that has really, really struggled to kick scores for the best part of 5 seasons. Garlett not being top five is the only major issue I have with any of the lists posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back