Public vs Private Schools

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a private school in a Melbourne bayside suburb that has an ex AFL coach coaching its football team. It won the last 2 APS titles. Melbourne currently as 4 ex students from this school, all of who started in primary school. No scholarships, just money

No doubt "passion" helped, but mum and dad's bank balances didn't hurt I'm sure.

For the record I'm private school educated but will be sending my kids to a quality state school for a variety of reasons.

Football, volleyball, bagpipes....where will it end?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...oaching-scandal/2006/08/25/1156012741415.html
Yesterday The Age reported that Haileybury had poached an entire elite girls' volleyball team from a nearby government school on scholarships worth up to $18,000 a year and had denuded another school of seven top players, forcing a champion year 9 side to be disbanded. The college has also lured about 200 girls, many on scholarships, from neighbouring schools, which has infuriated principals.

Readers have told The Age that the school, in Keysborough, is also offering scholarships to bagpipe players to beef up its pipe and drum band, and that in the first XVIII senior football team, "every member was brought into the school on a sporting scholarship".

Listening to Max Gawn on 360 tonight and he mentioned how only 4-5 players on the Melbourne list came from a public school and he believes the majority of footballers are from private schools due to the fact they are tought early how to work hard, discipline etc.
I thought it to be quite an interesting observation and want to know the rest of BigFooty's thoughts.
If there's one thing players of the Melbourne Football Club are known for its their hard work and discipline.

Most public schools do not have sports teams that would be considered anywhere near the level that the private schools have.

Its more club based and that is the pathway to get to afl footy and if they are good enough they will get there. Milne, Fev, Chris Newman and James Gwilt got into the afl via club footy.

As an ex-private school person myself, one thing they definitely do not do is teach you to work hard. Gawn's talking some serious rubbish there.

I saw it and to be fair, I think he's kind of saying the environment of an AFL club has become that way, so results-driven and mollycoddled.

As opposed to blokes basically doing as they please, eating pizza and smoking darts and really, nobody caring too much. Because there isn't the relentless drive for results.

In any case school is a small part of how a kid is brought up, home life is much more important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the point Gawn is trying to make is that Private school kids are exposed to more high achieving (not necessarily smarter or better) people - often their parents and friends parents - and are therefore (rightly or wrongly) less afraid to dream big. When you've grown up knowing doctors, lawyers, business owners etc the idea of getting drafted to play football isn't really all that outlandish. These days with school footy coaching becoming an industry it's even easier to get that belief.

Really, it's the main reason you send your kids to Private schools, so they can mix with the kids of high achieving parents and continue that legacy. As a Private school kid I know full well how many other kids were lazy, criminal, stupid etc, but very few lacked belief they could at least be good at it!

There's issues of recruiting bias, scholarships, private education creating higher work rate that are all controversial that I'm not sure Gawn was touching on.

Gawny's been hung up on the public v private thing for a while, which is interesting given he's from McKinnon I think, not exactly the ghetto and only a stones throw from Brighton Grammar. I think he just uses it as a well to show pride in himself, and good on him, he's come a long way and is a great bloke.

Listening to Max Gawn on 360 tonight and he mentioned how only 4-5 players on the Melbourne list came from a public school and he believes the majority of footballers are from private schools due to the fact they are tought early how to work hard, discipline etc.
I thought it to be quite an interesting observation and want to know the rest of BigFooty's thoughts.

A lot of kids from private schools struggle at uni for exactly the reason that they don't have any discipline. Mind you Gawn doesn't look like there's a lot going on upstairs, so his views could be a bit random.

A lot of kids from private schools struggle at uni for exactly the reason that they don't have any discipline. Mind you Gawn doesn't look like there's a lot going on upstairs, so his views could be a bit random.
The first time I'd seen Gawn speak. He was both articulate and considered. And a sense of humour. Clearly the product of a good public school education. :)

Guess that explains why he's good and Melbourne are s**t.

Interesting enough topic. I was lucky enough to go to a public school with both a special interest sports and music program, which has produced many talented individuals, including two ex afl captains. Melbourne does seem to have a lot of very large private schools with big sporting programs, so presumably Gawn is talking from a Melbourne perspective.

Apparently the issue is more that they suddenly have to do everything for themselves at uni. Have to suddenly be a lot more independent.

At public school you need to know how teach yourself for when the teacher rocks up drunk or something :p

This may come as some shock to my southern cousins, but in NSW and Qld, there are actually two codes of rugby, namely rugby union (ie "Rugby" the original) and rugby league (ie "League", the breakaway code formed a hundred or so years ago).

Now, one of the defining points of difference between these two codes (who to a large extent hate each other's guts) is that Rugby is played almost exclusively at private schools, and League almost entirely at state schools.

It prompts me to ask my southern cousins, how on earth do the posh snobs and the hoi polloi effectively express their mutual disdain, if both private and public schools all play the same code of football?

Think of cricket, I'm sure in the Northern states you get a combination of public and private schoolers, just like footy in the south.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back