2016 AFL U18 Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you ER. A very good win for WA, especially after our showings over the last few years. We could be a good chance now to win it. That would be an incredible bounce back.

Final score 19.11 to 10.4
Liam Baker outstanding in the last. Unfortunately got cleaned up by Kirby in the last minutes.
Unlike others watching I didn't think it was malicious.
Matt Guelfi reported for a sling tackle on Atley earlier on. I thought Atley was acting, but he indirectly caused the next two WA goals, so maybe his ears were ringing.
Strnadica also good in the last and Sam PP very good, along with Q Narkle in the centre. Rucks totally dominant.
Waterman looked good except for his kicking.

Thanks for the reports over the weekend at both games people. Good to see WA start with a solid win after struggling for a few years.

Seems like Josh Battle was the dominant tall forward for Country, did Rotham have that match up or was he 2nd tall/ loose man? Also interested to hear how Will Brodie played?

Thanks for the reports over the weekend at both games people. Good to see WA start with a solid win after struggling for a few years.

Seems like Josh Battle was the dominant tall forward for Country, did Rotham have that match up or was he 2nd tall/ loose man? Also interested to hear how Will Brodie played?
Griffin Logue had the match up on Battle - didn't think he was exactly 'dominant' but definitely took his opportunities and kicked all his goals in a 5 minute span. Rotham was playing more as a third tall in the first half and then played on Shannon Beks (198cm) in the 2nd half. Will Brodie was okay, seemed to be hampered by a knee injury.

Griffin Logue had the match up on Battle - didn't think he was exactly 'dominant' but definitely took his opportunities and kicked all his goals in a 5 minute span. Rotham was playing more as a third tall in the first half and then played on Shannon Beks (198cm) in the 2nd half. Will Brodie was okay, seemed to be hampered by a knee injury.

Logue went to Battle after he kicked 3 on Taylor.

WA's Mosquito fleet leads WA to victory.

It started in the middle with WA's ruckman Jeremy Goddard totally dominating the taps Nic Nay style.
He has many different hit zones which he sent down the throat of Zac Fisher 175cm, Liam Baker 174cm,
Stan Wright 175cm and Quinton Narkle 181cm and Matt Guelfi 184cm

These little guys completely beat there bigger opponents Will Brodie 189cm, Willem Drew 188cm,
Hugh McCluggage 185cm Joseph Atley 186cm
The Wa mids swapped between the middle and forward pocket and the interchange.
WA used the interchange very heavily compared to Vic Country.

Sam Pepper-Powell had about 5 minutes in the middle then spent rest of game at half forward, and half back.
He flashed in for a couple of freaky great goals, was good solid game from him

Shae Bolton was electric with some good goals is a great finisher.

Josh Rotham was class across the half back line is a wonderful kick of the footy, out marked Tom Jok from a vic country
kick in then delivered the ball beautifully through the eye of the needle to waterman one of the plays of the day.

The play of the day was Stan the man Wright reining WA colts player of the year just before the 3 quarter time, wa won the centre clearance
pushed it forward and Stan kicked a wonderful goal on his left foot. He has amazing left foot kicks long low and hard and can do it at pace as well.

Luke Strandica was a presence in the game kicked a couple of goals and looked good he will be a good draft pick as mid range pick quality value.
He got his hands to a couple of big marks from long bombs and just couldn't handle it, if he starts taking though's look out

As said WA little guys where outstanding Quinten Narkle just reads the ball so well from the taps was very good with his clearances

Stan Wright was terrific his kicking is so damaging on that left of his was probably bog.
Zac Fisher kicked good goal and his pressure on Vic mids was great didn't give them time, and made them turn the footy over.

Matt Guelfi was WA size in the midfield and was bustling and worked very hard was buggered when he came of.

Liam Baker one of WA best the west perth boy had a great game was very good when he went forward I like him organising the forwards with his talk.

Wa captain Waterman was the dominate forward on the ground brilliant great mark and tireless worker, very good field kick, horrible set shot kick.
His run up action is good runs straight at the goals, ball drop is fine he just stabs at the footy instead of following through, and his shots always slide to the right. If he can fix his goal shot kicking will be very good at next level, the Q will be can he fix his set shot kicking.

Cameron Zurhaar didn't play mid was used as a half forward in conjunction with Waterman worker hard.

Sam Taylor at full back had a really bad day started on Josh Battle who is only 192cm but is a very wide hard body weighing 90kg compared to Sam's
79kgs Josh kicked 3 on him in the first and moved him of the footy easy. In that first quarter Josh Battle won every one on one except for when Rotham came over the top and spoiled the ball away with a great late spoil. WA then realised belatedly they needed a change and put Griffin Logue on him who did better on him but them josh came back again later in the second and kicked a goal.

In the last with WA killing Vic Country Sam taylor took a very good mark that lifted his confidence at 191cm and being underage hopefully he grows a bit more and puts on some more weight.
Matt Young and Jake Patmore as underages looked a bit over awed, and where not great.
Goddard was amazing in the ruck and tim english was a good back up, for a ruck is a good field kick.

For vic country Tom Jok was outstanding if he can put some weight on, should be a player.
i like Will Brodie looked hampered with a knee maybe but was still very good Will Drew was okay.
Not impressed with Atley seems to me a little soft in the contest, narkle owned him a few times.
Vic Country where very good on the rebound and hurt WA Jarrod Berrry was a good attacking player number 22
play half back and mid.
Vic country where not great this game and will get better.

WA look forward to adding:
SPS
Bailey Banfield
Gordon Narrier
and hopefully:
Mitchell Dzelebdzic 196cm and Thomas Amos 198cm and the very exciting Jimmy Miller 195cm which should
help with our height issues in the kp department

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stand outs for me were: bolton, powell-pepper, strandica, jok, battle

battle had the most amazing 5 minutes you will ever see, had 3 goals in 3 minutes, one a soccer goal from deep in the pocket on an impossible angle

C'mon what about Stan Wright he had an amazing game number 3 the blond kid.

C'mon what about Stan Wright he had an amazing game number 3 the blond kid.

wasnt sold

i know who i was missing... Guelfri (spelling?) he was amazing and set the standard very early on... he's one who's draft stocks will rise IMO along with bolton

i wasnt impressed with narkle or berry. narkle didnt look like he could play inside, he's too fumbly under pressure and plays smaller than he is. reminds me of the bloke who was drafted as a rookie from WA, who's name escapes me. was team mate to alex waterman in the middle

berry was very disappointing but pretty early into the 1st he was off the ground pointing to his ankle and looking proppy with the doctors/trainers

wasnt sold

i know who i was missing... Guelfri (spelling?) he was amazing and set the standard very early on... he's one who's draft stocks will rise IMO along with bolton

i wasnt impressed with narkle or berry. narkle didnt look like he could play inside, he's too fumbly under pressure and plays smaller than he is. reminds me of the bloke who was drafted as a rookie from WA, who's name escapes me. was team mate to alex waterman in the middle

berry was very disappointing but pretty early into the 1st he was off the ground pointing to his ankle and looking proppy with the doctors/trainers

Narkle's disposal was wayward but his clearance work was very good.

Stan Wright was clean and his kicking on that left foot is exceptional that goal on three quarter time had the whole team run to him.
I had questioned if he was too small for AFL but he showed he isn't in that game.
Reigning colts player of year and showed why.

Excellent, biggest knock on him by far. Has the physique and general sense for it.

He turned over a few kicks but played as a flanker today, so WA where not hurt badly when he turned it over.
When he's in the middle its a problem at times.
But today kicked some amazing goals and is so hard at it.
Think Beau Waters but quicker.

He turned over a few kicks but played as a flanker today, so WA where not hurt badly when he turned it over.
When he's in the middle its a problem at times.
But today kicked some amazing goals and is so hard at it.
Think Beau Waters but quicker.

I think one of the most important factors is to be showing improvement at this point. If he's the sort of player who shows that capacity to absorb and take his game up a level with good instruction, coachable in other words, that makes him a much more appealing prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back