Club History The legend of John Coleman

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
When you are a bombers fan the legend of John Coleman is a part of your story, it's comes across as a type of Bradman esq story, a bloke who just steps into the game, kicks 12 on debut, 100 year one , 15 Brownlow votes, then goes on to kick on ave 5.5 a game until he was retired by injury at 25.

In the two years prior to debut he trained with us but was considered too young- he kicked something like 296 goals in those 2 years, (38 games) playing locally and was only because of offers from other clubs that we gave him a crack.

They say he was football's first superstar, getting mobbed everywhere he went, his wedding was gate crashed by 10 000 people... But we can all read those stories, what I really want to know about is his actual playing style, who would he compare to nowadays, was he that good? That freakish? Or do the tales just grow with time.

I've always found it weird that for a guy the football world followed so hard, there is precious little footage proof of his wares, and in anything we do have , it never shows him actually taking a mark!

They say he was super quick, with a super vertical leap, sticky hands and a deadly shot at goal....I found a book in the shed with a bunch of action shots of him, I'm sure they are all readily available but I reckon you can paint a bit better picture of how he played or how actually good he was by looking at these pics.

IMAG0865_1.jpg

Look at the elevation! Just lazily jumping head height on a lead.

IMAG0864_1.jpg

Marking between two defenders, strong.

IMAG0863_1.jpg

And again, 2 on 1 , just out jumps

IMAG0862_1.jpg

Coming from 4 deep

IMAG0861_1.jpg

Probably wins mark of the year now days

IMAG0860_1.jpg

Action footage, shakes an opponent, springs then marks strong with a guy attempting a spoil.

IMAG0859_1.jpg

Just a great mark! In any era.

IMAG0858_1.jpg

His classic, but his best?

IMAG0857_1.jpg

How good is this, so high! Got the opponents head in the choke hold

IMAG0856_1.jpg

This one he runs back full steam with the flight then jumps and twists in the air....Pretty special

More next post...

Looks like a likely type.

He was an outstanding coach too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So any guesses on the player he would be today?

The best in the league. A gun full forward with an enormous leap and pace. Think of a combination of Gary Ablett Snr, Jake Stringer - basically a medium sized key forward who is difficult to match up on due to pace and leap allowing that player to effectively play too tall for similar sized pacey defender or too quick for a tall defender. Would break Fred fannings record opposed to Zac Dawson or James Gwilt.

Not a current player but he sounds most like Gary Ablett Snr imo. Prodigious goalkicker, towering leap, vice-like mark, booming kick and very quick on the lead. Ablett was also strong and aggressive as a bull and sounds like Coleman didn’t really take much lying down either.

From what I’ve read, those who lived across the generations are adamant almost to a man that he’s the GOAT. If only he played 250 games…

In today's terms Coleman @ 185cm and 80kg - is smack bang between Zaharakis and Dempsey for size/weight.

Dempsey - 187cm and 84kg
Zaharakis - 182cm and 78kg

With a leap that looks as high as (I never saw) say Goddard - it would be tough to say as high as Joe.

The goal kicking, as is the topic of the hour, was exceptional - when you look at the kicking style of the day.

That's a fair player in any era.

Best mates dad used to play for Fitzroy in their backline just as Coleman was starting.
Reckons Coleman was the best player he had seen probably up until up until Gary Abblet SNR blossomed.
Said he would mark the footy no matter how much he was scragged, or out of position.
Off one step and he could jump up and basically be on shoulders.
Must have been an awesome sight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back