FTA-TV The Block 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

There are hundreds of cowboy builders out there, in the UK they even have TV show about them. But they're in Australia too, and sometimes seen on the current affairs shows being chased by a reporter. Let's face it, if a tradie is called and you ask can he come tomorrow, he probably isn't that good anyway as the best ones would have to be booked well in advance. I think the show should have a bank of tradies they can use, with a set cost, and make it easier for the contestants to meet their budgets and find the best people available.

Human services not that it's very relevant to the topic at hand

Inb4 you have no idea about the building industry/tradies ect....I actually do I just don't value them very highly

Nah I just wanted to know, I've had a bad experience with human services there fore I think all human services are lazy and incompetent.

The fact it is up to the contestants to manage their trades if they get ripped off its their own fault. They are the project managers.

And if you had any idea about the building industry you should value and respect your trades as they are the ones to get to the job done on time and on budget.

No wonder your past experiences with trades has been bad with your attitude towards them.

Nah I just wanted to know, I've had a bad experience with human services there fore I think all human services are lazy and incompetent.

No wonder your past experiences with trades has been bad with your attitude towards them.
Yeah because the human service field is filled with people charging an arm and a leg for their services and putting up with their over inflated egos :rolleyes:

At least the human services industry actually provides something of value to the community despite its low wage and difficulties in the field.

And just because I don't value tradies and think the way I do doesn't mean I'm not respectful towards them when I do have to use their "services" ... I just don't trust them or like them ,and think they overcharge for what they provide and yet they some get paid more than doctors :rolleyes:

Yeah because the human service field is filled with people charging an arm and a leg for their services and putting up with their over inflated egos :rolleyes:

At least the human services industry actually provides something of value to the community despite its low wage and difficulties in the field.

And just because I don't value tradies and think the way I do doesn't mean I'm not respectful towards them when I do have to use their "services" ... I just don't trust them or like them ,and think they overcharge for what they provide and yet they some get paid more than doctors :rolleyes:

So building roads, bridges, train lines, houses to live in that's not providing for the community? Yeah they get paid well but that's the market demands, it's a physically demanding job. Pay is not always guaranteed and they have to up with people who don't pay for the work because they think they know better.

I will leave it at that.

Do I need to post up my qualifications to be able have an opinion?

FWIW I have worked in the industry before and I'll leave it at that.
No need to get all defensive, but if you are going to constantly criticise tradesmen then some background would be appreciated, if your reluctant then do us a favour and stop the blanket bagging of them.

No need to get all defensive, but if you are going to constantly criticise tradesmen then some background would be appreciated, if your reluctant then do us a favour and stop the blanket bagging of them.

Next time I'll ask for your qualifications in regards to the subject you wish to talk about.

In the meantime I'll continue to express my disgust of tradies as I see fit...feel free to put me on ignore if you can't handle it

Next time I'll ask for your qualifications in regards to the subject you wish to talk about.

In the meantime I'll continue to express my disgust of tradies as I see fit...feel free to put me on ignore if you can't handle it
I'm a tradie, your just trolling them, and no Im not going to put you on ignore but I wont be taking anything you post on this subject serious

ha ha - The Tradie Wars. I have relatives & friends who are electricians, plasterer's, plumbers, carpenters, concreter's, and even one who's a professional project manager. They all do good work as I have used them on my own projects, but each can tell you horror stories of some cowboy builders mess they've helped fix too. There's good and bad in every trade or profession, its just a case of Caveat Emptor.

In the case of The Block, the inexperienced contestants have a major resource they should be using all the time. His name is Keith, and every time a tradie says something that doesn't seem right or quotes a price to them, they should be ringing him straight away and running it by him.

Last edited:
In the case of The Block, the inexperienced contestants have a major resource they should be using all the time. His name is Keith,

The rumour that's been going around for a long time and I believe it, is Keith is just a prop, they have an actual real forman overseeing the project.

I reckon ch9 have used Mike Holmes from Holmes Make it Right as the template for Keith

The rumour that's been going around for a long time and I believe it, is Keith is just a prop, they have an actual real forman overseeing the project.

I reckon ch9 have used Mike Holmes from Holmes Make it Right as the template for Keith

Definitely Keith and Dan are frontmen who worry about the contestants and stir the pot. The show has a principal contractor on site who do all the structural work, services etc and there would be a team of PMs and site managers who are responsible for that work.

Not taking anything away from the contestants but they are really just worrying about the interior build as opposed to any major works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keith was already on the block for 2 years before that show aired.

Definitely Keith and Dan are frontmen who worry about the contestants and stir the pot. The show has a principal contractor on site who do all the structural work, services etc and there would be a team of PMs and site managers who are responsible for that work.

Not taking anything away from the contestants but they are really just worrying about the interior build as opposed to any major works.
He was in his first season (4, the first in Melbourne) but the size of the entire project then went beyond his scope.

The wallpaper room was disgusting. Cheap and nasty. The styling is all over the shop.
No point gobbing off at judges,imo they should suck it up.
Arrogance wont get them anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wallpaper room was disgusting. Cheap and nasty. The styling is all over the shop.
No point gobbing off at judges,imo they should suck it up.
Arrogance wont get them anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But, but they've renovated 8 houses and their sons 20yo girlfriends told them their designs were good;)

Does anyone else think this season more than others, the show is really hyping up the judges comments and the reactions of the contestants....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back