Status
Not open for further replies.
figures here

UK 7.1%
US 2%
Netherlands 0.77%
Singapore 0.48%
China 0.38%

yet china are taking over Australia :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

please explain Nick "bells and whistles" Xenophobia

I don't think you understand m8 Chinese people are, are you sitting down?

ASIAN!!!!

I don't think you understand m8 Chinese people are, are you sitting down?

ASIAN!!!!

From the article
"The Nationals leader said the Chinese level of holding would have been substantially higher if the sale of S.Kidman & Co had been approved."

lol's

From the article
"The Nationals leader said the Chinese level of holding would have been substantially higher if the sale of S.Kidman & Co had been approved."

lol's

How much higher? Numbers m8.

From the article

lol's

I haven't done the numbers since this stuff hadn't raised my hackles, and the levels quoted confirm my lack of concern but the quote I heard on radio this morning (ABC news, quoting a politician whose name I can't recall) stated the Chinese level of holding would have jumped to #2 if the S. Kidman & Co sale had gone through. Fairly big property, that!

"Traditional", legitimate national security concerns are one thing. Economic national security questions are a far fuzzier concept and therefore more open to abuse by the lower grades of nationalists.

Huawei don't bother trying to sell much in CBR but after a recent factory visit to China Turnbull came out and suggested the de facto ban on use of their kit in government should be revisited. Up and down jump a few of the usual racists, sporting tin foil hats specially for the occasion. It's not like you'd review a supplier panel periodically, is it?

How much higher? Numbers m8.
If in doubt go to a rural newspaper.

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/ne...d/news-story/956090889ccf1e1732106c5cab4d281d
The data shows that as of June 30, 13.6 per cent of the nation’s agricultural land was foreign owned, or 52.1 million hectares of a possible 384.6 million.

The United Kingdom owns 52.7 per cent of this with 27.5 million ha — four times as much as the next country, the USA. The USA owns 7.7 million ha; followed by the Netherlands with 2.98 million ha and Singapore with 1.9 million ha. China — whose recent attempts to invest in Australia have caused great debate and consternation for the Government — comes in at fifth, with 1.5 million ha, or just 0.5 per cent.

However, had Chinese interests successfully purchased the Kidman & Co pastoral leases of 11 million ha — the sale of which Treasurer Scott Morrison recently blocked — China would have leapfrogged to second place, though remain well behind the UK. The Philippines, Switzerland, Jersey, Indonesia and Japan round out the top 10. The report does not include a breakdown of individual property registrations, only a summary of the number of investments by country, state and type of farm.
While Queensland had the largest foreign-owned land mass, NSW had the highest number of individual properties, followed by Victoria:

QUEENSLAND has 17.7 million ha foreign owned across 1345 properties, primarily livestock.
THE Northern Territory is second largest at 15.2 million ha across just 71 properties.
WESTERN Australia has 8.8 million ha across 917 properties.
SOUTH Australia comes in at 7.2 million ha across 614 properties.
NSW/ACT has 2.4 million foreign-owned ha across 1798 properties.
VICTORIA has 607,000 ha across 1558 properties, primarily forestry.
TASMANIA has just 342,000 ha foreign owned across 911 properties.
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/ne...d/news-story/956090889ccf1e1732106c5cab4d281d

Treasuer Skirt Morrisson reckons foreigners invest $3 trillion in Oz.....
Mr Morrison said the register was part of the Government’s strengthening of Australia’s foreign investment regimen.“Foreign investment is integral to Australia’s economy. ..... “With more than $3 trillion worth of foreign investment in Australia today, we cannot afford to risk our economic future by engaging in protectionism.

But Barnaby is worried its going up all the time
Mr Joyce said perceptions that foreign ownership was increasing were confirmed, with previous surveys showing 12.4 per cent of agricultural land was foreign owned in 2013.

Now its interesting the figures say "a possible 384.6 million," given Oz is 7.61m square kilometres ie 761m hectares including mainland and islands. Arable land for crops, ie you can plough the land and grow a crop in Oz is about 6% of the land mass or about 48m hectares according to the World Bank stats. So there is about 337m hectares for cows, sheep, goats, camels and other non cropping land (eg forestry) in that total of 384.6m hectares.

I reckon old Lord Vesty in the 1960's owned about 3m hectares in the NT alone which is double what the Chinese own in total today. Foreigners have always owned a big chunk of Oz mines and agricultural land. The more they look like us and act like us the less we say about it. It's when the sharp differences become recognisable do we start jumping up and down - or like the UTAH mining group in the late 1970's and early 1980's pay no tax do we get upset.

Last edited:
figures here

UK 7.1%
US 2%
Netherlands 0.77%
Singapore 0.48%
China 0.38%

yet china are taking over Australia :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

please explain Nick "bells and whistles" Xenophobia

Kind of ironic you make remarks at Xenophobia while playing with the spelling of someone's name like that.
Xenophon is a politician. He's going to appeal to the majority on issues they have concerns about.

Anyhow, when was the last time the UK, USA, Netherlands or Singapore threatened Australia?

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/m...n-ships-that-enter-the-south-china-sea-2016-7

The question should be is it in Australia's interests, for ABC company or XYZ company with foreign government ties, to own land or assets in Australia.
It shouldn't matter where they are from.
When a foreign country through its controlled media threatens our country, do you think it's in our country's interests to allow them to own so much here, if anything at all?

If they had been allowed to buy Kidman station they'd have surpassed America on that list.

As it stands now land the size of two Victoria's is foreign owned or partially foreign owned.

That's too much, regardless of it'll it's Chinese landlords or American or British.

As it stands now land the size of two Victoria's is foreign owned or partially foreign owned.

That's too much, regardless of it'll it's Chinese landlords or American or British.

Why is this particular % "too much"? How much less would give you a warm and fuzzy feeling? What would be the impact on the economy if some arbitrary fraction of foreign landowners were forced to divest? Feel free to choose your time frame for any forced divestitures, BTW. Continue, please.

..... If they had been allowed to buy Kidman station they'd have surpassed America on that list.

Because a hectare on Durham Downs is just as productive as a hectare in the Yarra Valley. :rolleyes:

I just don't get people's fear of foreign ownership of agricultural land when the same people are either OK with, or totally ignorant of, foreign ownership of Australian infrastructure and companies that control Australian assets that are deeply entwined in these people's everyday lives.

Would these people who are so scared of a Chinese consortium buying an interest in S. Kidman and Co ever have a mobile phone on the Vodafone network?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because a hectare on Durham Downs is just as productive as a hectare in the Yarra Valley. :rolleyes:

I just don't get people's fear of foreign ownership of agricultural land when the same people are either OK with, or totally ignorant of, foreign ownership of Australian infrastructure and companies that control Australian assets that are deeply entwined in these people's everyday lives.

Would these people who are so scared of a Chinese consortium buying an interest in S. Kidman and Co ever have a mobile phone on the Vodafone network?

It's naive and/or delusional to think we can exist in our own little bubble these days.

Why is this particular % "too much"? How much less would give you a warm and fuzzy feeling? What would be the impact on the economy if some arbitrary fraction of foreign landowners were forced to divest? Feel free to choose your time frame for any forced divestitures, BTW. Continue, please.

lol.
No no, you continue. It's been a funny morning so far.

Farming and grazzing land, ie agricultural land, covers 61% of our land mass. 4,692,134 square kilometers out of 7,692,024 square kilometers.
13.6% of that(the foreign owned portion) is 638,130 square kilometers.
Victoria's land mass is 227,420 square kilometers.
The federal government has told us that foreign owned land constitutes a little over two Victoria's.
I'm stupid, you do the rest of the math. Tell me if it's a "little" over two Victoria's.
If Kidman is sold, that's another 101,000 square kilometers.

Have I got it wrong, or has the government got it wrong?
I'm pretty sure they said 13.6% of agricultural land, not the total land mass of our country.
And from the information I can find, 61% of our land mass is agricultural.

foreignownedland.png

That's roughly 638,130 square kilometers right there.

Has the UK, USA, Singapore, the three countries ahead of China, threatened to attack Australian ships in international waters? Have any of them been busy hacking Australian government networks?

Maybe we should let ISIS buy Kidman & Co?

Let's just all turn off the power and go off grid. SA Power Networks ain't ETSA no more...

It's literally everywhere in everyday life and the sooner people realise land mass (on a lease so not technically 'owned') is by far a lesser threat than let's say, oh I don't know, our basic infrastructure that generates billions for offshore conglomerates.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Farming and grazzing land, ie agricultural land, covers 61% of our land mass. 4,692,134 square kilometers out of 7,692,024 square kilometers.
13.6% of that(the foreign owned portion) is 638,130 square kilometers.
Victoria's land mass is 227,420 square kilometers.
The federal government has told us that foreign owned land constitutes a little over two Victoria's.
I'm stupid, you do the rest of the math. Tell me if it's a "little" over two Victoria's.
If Kidman is sold, that's another 101,000 square kilometers.

Have I got it wrong, or has the government got it wrong?
I'm pretty sure they said 13.6% of agricultural land, not the total land mass of our country.
And from the information I can find, 61% of our land mass is agricultural.

foreignownedland.png

That's roughly 638,130 square kilometers right there.

Has the UK, USA, Singapore, the three countries ahead of China, threatened to attack Australian ships in international waters? Have any of them been busy hacking Australian government networks?

Maybe we should let ISIS buy Kidman & Co?
Mate, you are a victim of the fear-mongering dwerps who know nothing of national & international economy! The misinformation on the this issue is gargantuan! And the public soak it up!

Your implication of this being an issue of sovereign risk for Australia is belly-ache laughable! What? Are they going to take the frigging land with them back to China! :rolleyes: They just pay for the use of it! As for the risk, it is actually the opposite ... Australia is the sovereign risk to the $billions invested in this country by foreign investors, something our economy cannot do with, but which is threatened by the banana mentality of the idiots that make the decisions, and the monkeys that believe their imbecilic rhetoric!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back