COMEBACK - new book James Button

Remove this Banner Ad

dangerwood

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
https://penguin.com.au/books/comeback-9780522866155

Hi everyone, just wanted flag this new book written by James Button regarding Geelongs recent era. This is a truly excellent book and very interesting read for all cats fans.

Offers untold stories and in depth behind the scenes. Would highly recommend. It has a lot more than similar books such Greatness.

It's also available now in the cats shop!

Sorry this all sounds like an advert but wanted to share, you won't be disappointed ;)

got to say, the formatting of the précis at the link provided leaves a lot to be desired, seeing as it is presented by a publishing house :huh:

surely <br><br> Penguin can do a &mdash; bit better than that on a 150 word <br><br> summary?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half way through. Up to 1989. Growing up you got a sense the club was somewhat dysfunctional but as a kid and not knowing any different that was just the way things were. Along with a few things I've learnt since and reading this book you realise that, as much as you love this club and its rich history and everything that's come with it, it was seriously fukced up until Brian Cook came along. The first statue to be built at Kardinia Park should be of him.

Half way through. Up to 1989. Growing up you got a sense the club was somewhat dysfunctional but as a kid and not knowing any different that was just the way things were. Along with a few things I've learnt since and reading this book you realise that, as much as you love this club and its rich history and everything that's come with it, it was seriously fukced up until Brian Cook came along. The first statue to be built at Kardinia Park should be of him.
Yeah, I'm upto the end of the 90's and, like you, I always thought the club was dysfunctional, but I never knew how bad it was. It's a miracle we didn't end up being dissolved really.

What I really like is he hasn't drawn his conclusions just from talking/listening to one person, he's actually interviewed everyone involved and got a terrific overview of the club based on many opinions.

Got a copy of the book but haven't had time to read it yet. Good to read on here that lots of people are enjoying the book.

Yeah, I'm upto the end of the 90's and, like you, I always thought the club was dysfunctional, but I never knew how bad it was. It's a miracle we didn't end up being dissolved really.

What I really like is he hasn't drawn his conclusions just from talking/listening to one person, he's actually interviewed everyone involved and got a terrific overview of the club based on many opinions.

Yup. A lot of the time history is written by the winners and it could have been easier to just get the views of Cook, Costa et al.

I've read up to 2009. Never knew Harley almost retired mid season because his body was shot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back