Game Day Match Sim vs Hawthorn - Daz can’t be effed making a new one

Remove this Banner Ad

Logged in again at last!

Every fellow who played in the winning GF team is by definition a club champion - at this point. Consequently he will be hard to leave them out of Rd 1 bar injury.

Conversely we'll need to get better because other teams will improve this year, notably Melbourne. It won't be easy to go B2B, whatever Cornes may have said. Thus soon enough there will be changes to the team and the communication skills of the coaching group will be tested.

I watched the Hawks game and thought Bowes was BOG while he was on the ground. He, Ollie and Bruhn will become regulars over time. Dempsey looked good too and will play at some point this season, as will Esava and Shannon Neale.

I am still on Parfitt he always starts the season off in good form, then gets injured near the end of the year, plenty of good footy left in him
Could he reinvent himself as a small lockdown defender? Nullify the influence of the likes of Toby Greene, Dylan Moore etc? He certainly has that defensive mindset, a tackling beast and is fierce in the contest, the knock on him has never been a lack of intensity. Obviously he'd have to overcome being slightly undersized by doubling down on his workrate and physicality, be like having a Rohan type running around in the back 50. That would scare the s**t out of a few small forwards around the league. A previous poster mentioned small defenders as an area we may be a little thin on. Could he find his niche down back and extend his career (or at least his time with us) that way?

Logged in again at last!

Every fellow who played in the winning GF team is by definition a club champion - at this point. Consequently he will be hard to leave them out of Rd 1 bar injury.

Conversely we'll need to get better because other teams will improve this year, notably Melbourne. It won't be easy to go B2B, whatever Cornes may have said. Thus soon enough there will be changes to the team and the communication skills of the coaching group will be tested.

I watched the Hawks game and thought Bowes was BOG while he was on the ground. He, Ollie and Bruhn will become regulars over time. Dempsey looked good too and will play at some point this season, as will Esava and Shannon Neale.

Depending on preseason form, O'Connor and Parfitt are in serious danger with how good Bruhn and Bowes looked.
Holmes in for Selwood looks the only certainty.

Hoping for injuries? Well that certainly goes against my definition of a “supporter”
My post might have been badly worded. Hoping for the same outcome as last year even if that means we have early “niggles” and minor injuries. better to have what danger had last year (and Rohan and others) on first half of year. In fact if they weren’t injured maybe they wouldnt hav been fit and fresh by year end.

sad for poor Jack now if he misses a few months but they they do a mini pre season and he is back fit and fresh for b2b. In the meantime get to see others get a chance.
long terms injuries suck. Don’t want any of those

interesting to see Bruhn get shoved in the back by Blicavs to get out of the way at a ruck contest.
luved that.... senior player instructing the newbie.

No issue with it and im sure there was a follow up in the edits.

GO Catters

Parfitt has had a spot for his entire time at Geelong, the only reason he wasn’t a certainty for the finals was because he was returning from injury and they were loathe to change a winning line up.

I am a big believer that regular season history is far more important than match sim stuff. And in the real matches Parfitt has a history of playing every single game when he is fit. And at 24 years old coming into his prime I just don’t see that changing.

Yes he had a spot but circumstances have changed. We clearly have better depth now than 2 years ago. Put it another way-if you are that certain parfitt will be best 23 who do you think is getting left out instead?

Could he reinvent himself as a small lockdown defender? Nullify the influence of the likes of Toby Greene, Dylan Moore etc? He certainly has that defensive mindset, a tackling beast and is fierce in the contest, the knock on him has never been a lack of intensity. Obviously he'd have to overcome being slightly undersized by doubling down on his workrate and physicality, be like having a Rohan type running around in the back 50. That would scare the s**t out of a few small forwards around the league. A previous poster mentioned small defenders as an area we may be a little thin on. Could he find his niche down back and extend his career (or at least his time with us) that way?

Its possibly an option. This is what i think we were trying to do with atkins a couple of years ago and we dont have a natural successor to bews (although i think whyte is potentially another option long term) so that could be a way for parfitt to find a role in our best side.

Hope so. I like him and he is built

There's glimpses from the young midfield which is promising for us. Day, Ward, Macdonald and hopefully Cam McKenzie should be the nucleus going forward around Newcombe. We looked ok at stoppages for a change. It was a good test of where we need to get to yesterday that's for sure. Media are being quite harsh TBH not sure what they expected.
Media just wants the outrage and clicks I wouldn’t be paying too much attention to that , short term pain for long term pain I’m sure you guys will be straight back up there soon enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were in the VFL squad, came on in the 5th, I didn't watch all of it but I thought they both got a few kicks early./
Nah, they didn't play. At one point camera cut to Foster and Willis in the stands.

Its a bit strange with Kroeger and Willis, both solid tanks, but it's like they are built by glass. Perennially injured it seems.

There's glimpses from the young midfield which is promising for us. Day, Ward, Macdonald and hopefully Cam McKenzie should be the nucleus going forward around Newcombe. We looked ok at stoppages for a change. It was a good test of where we need to get to yesterday that's for sure. Media are being quite harsh TBH not sure what they expected.
Media over-reacts to tons you can measure because they can't watch the whole thing. The scoreboard wrote their stories before they even asked a question

Yes he had a spot but circumstances have changed. We clearly have better depth now than 2 years ago. Put it another way-if you are that certain parfitt will be best 23 who do you think is getting left out instead?
I never said Parfitt will be best 23, I said that he will play and be in the team whenever he is fit.

Best 23 is a nebulous concept. If you are in the best 28 ish players on the list you will play most weeks.

I never said Parfitt will be best 23, I said that he will play and be in the team whenever he is fit.

Best 23 is a nebulous concept. If you are in the best 28 ish players on the list you will play most weeks.

Fair point. But while there isnt a best 23 for the first 5 months of the year there certainly is in finals (just ask menegola and moc). Let me ask you another question-do you think parfitt will be best 23 in finals? And if so who do you think will be left out?

Too many seem to focus on Miers unique kicking action & using it as a reason to stick it to him, but when trying to explain the accuracy he actually gets with it and his ability to hit up teammates, especially the leading forward, they just laugh

I had a "discussion" on FB last year with someone who kept claiming forwards must hate seeing Miers with ball in hand as you just never know where it's going to end up - the simply reply which they mock & call BS was about how accurate his field kicking is & his ability to hit his teammates on the chest
It continues to amaze me how much Miers is underrated for his ability to link up and get the ball into someone's hands who could kick a goal.

Him and Close at the end of last year were on fire so much with link play into the forward half it was insane.

Myself and plenty of others rightly bagged Miers earlier in the year when he was barely hanging onto a spot due to form from most likely an injury interrupted year which hopefully won't happen this year form wise as he has had a good preseason and hopefully no injures.

It continues to amaze me how much Miers is underrated for his ability to link up and get the ball into someone's hands who could kick a goal.

Him and Close at the end of last year were on fire so much with link play into the forward half it was insane.

Myself and plenty of others rightly bagged Miers earlier in the year when he was barely hanging onto a spot due to form from most likely an injury interrupted year which hopefully won't happen this year form wise as he has had a good preseason and hopefully no injures.
I agree. To be fair I think most posters have been silenced. As you say there was a lot of criticism early last year (which from the outside wasn’t completely unfair) but don’t really hear much anymore. Club had faith in him and he rewarded that.

As I said in one of my posts I can see Dempsey maybe moving past him at some stage given some more attributes but reckon Miers just plays that role much better now - and he deserves to be in front…and might stay there given he too can continue to improve.

Another example of the riches we have across everyline

Ratugolea down back is a no-brainer. He likes to run in straight lines and meet the ball not leading and running paterns like a forward. As a backman he gets to choose whether to mark or punch. Forwards will be nervous with the athletic Sav launching himself into contests. Ideally he plays at half back leaving SDK and Stewart to defend closer to goal. I can see J Henry, Kolodjashnij and Sav competing for 2 positions and being chosen based on the matchups. Sav would also allow Blicavs to play as a midfielder/onballer.

Ollie Dempsey looks like a gem to me. He is versatile, can run, jump, weave around opponents, and is dangerous anywhere near goal. Might be a Stevie J type but with added aerial ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back