Preview Round 4, 'The Harley Reid Cup'- Geelong vs Hawthorn, Monday 10 Apr @ 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry for sub

And unlike Hardwick who cracked the shits with Cotchin being listed as an "out" & then being the sub, Scott chats about it the day before the match to say what's happening

Could say the same thing about quite a few players, Close and Stengle just to mention a couple.

Going on his last three ""meaningful"" games, rounds 21, 22 and 23 last year, which were arguably three of the best he's strung together in his career, I'm not sure where all this talk about him being so out of form are coming from, personally I couldn't really give a toss if he's not setting the world on fire in pre season or VFL matches, needs to be in the senior side IMO.

Probably because of his round 1 effort collecting 5 disposals in 3 and a bit qtrs of footy playing midfield.

Henry for sub

And unlike Hardwick who cracked the shits with Cotchin being listed as an "out" & then being the sub, Scott chats about it the day before the match to say what's happening

Agree about Hardwick. Known as a first class complainer. All he had to do Thursday was name Cotchin as sub - simple. If he doesn’t want to do that then don’t and stop complaining.

In terms of us I hope they keep Ceglar back as the ”hold back’ (very very unlikely to be needed) tomorrow so Bruhn and Parfitt get full games in vfl

EDIT

also see that hawks named Chad as sub basically at same time as team announced or shortly after. So while afl says you don’t have to, each club can choose to (or hold back for flexibility as needed). Reinforces that Hardwick is just a complainer. Could easier have named Cotchin as sub when team got named so clear he wasnt dropped. Rather than not name him and complain about rules! I don’t have much respect for the man

Last edited:

Agree about Hardwick. Known as a first class complainer. All he had to do Thursday was name Cotchin as sub - simple. If he doesn’t want to do that then don’t and stop complaining.

In terms of us I hope they keep Ceglar back as the ”hold back’ (very very unlikely to be needed) tomorrow so Bruhn and Parfitt get full games in vfl

Ceglar not even named in the VFL side - so it's AFL or nothing for him this week

Even though I read this the other week I hadn't actually considered it as a factor with Ceg's being managed - he's partner is due to give birth, so that may be a factor in him not playing at either level tomorrow

Probably because of his round 1 effort collecting 5 disposals in 3 and a bit qtrs of footy playing midfield.
He played 41% game time and attended 7 centre bounces out of 39 for the game so 18% (Guthrie attended 28, Danger 25, Atkins 17, etc). So he played a bit over half the game (normally he'd have ~75% in a full game) and was mainly used as a high half forward.

He was poor but we don't need to exaggerate it. He was also playing a completely different role to late last year when he was really good in the last 3 H&A matches where he attended >50% of the centre bounces.

Ceglar not even named in the VFL side - so it's AFL or nothing for him this week

Even though I read this the other week I hadn't actually considered it as a factor with Ceg's being managed - he's partner is due to give birth, so that may be a factor in him not playing at either level tomorrow
Yep Ceglar not going to play VFL…but wonder whether they still see him as an option for the (highly) unlikely situation of someone getting sick or injured a few hours before the game (hold back). He is probably a bad option in some way (as we would then have him as sub or in the side with Reece) but given it is such a small probability I hope he is the hold back (given already not playing VFL) as opposed to bruhn and parf.

I hadn’t thought about the potential birth - maybe that is a consideration….although I understand that his body is in such bad shape (old!) that he can’t string two games together so he wont play much if any VFL this year

He played 41% game time and attended 7 centre bounces out of 39 for the game so 18% (Guthrie attended 28, Danger 25, Atkins 17, etc). So he played a bit over half the game (normally he'd have ~75% in a full game) and was mainly used as a high half forward.

He was poor but we don't need to exaggerate it. He was also playing a completely different role to late last year when he was really good in the last 3 H&A matches where he attended >50% of the centre bounces.

Those games were also games we won by 45, 60 and 85 points against bottom teams.

There must be a reason he's not getting games then if we was traveling that well. It's round 4, our midfield is getting smashed for 3 consecutive weeks and he's not in the best 22.

Those games were also games we won by 45, 60 and 85 points against bottom teams.

There must be a reason he's not getting games then if we was traveling that well. It's round 4, our midfield is getting smashed for 3 consecutive weeks and he's not in the best 22.
Yeah I assume it's a fitness and form thing. But he must be going really bad for him to be behind Bruhn and Bowes who are both getting midfield time and performing worse than I can really ever remember Parfitt playing with significant mid time.

At the very least he has always brought intensity and defensive toughness which we've been sorely missing so far this year.

Bettered his careen averages in disposals and clearances last year so it obviously wasn't just those three games where he played well.

As to why he's not getting a game now, well that's a question for the Coach and MC I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re right the rivalry is always great but this year the Hawks really need to lose and the cats really need to win to start their run back up to try and go back to back which I honestly think you guys can do unfortunately it’s going to be starting with a belting of the Hawks but you guys get it this year and next year we’re back on I still think we’ll see a few brawls in the middle and a bit of angst but the cats will be way too good this year I honestly think if you get all your players fit you can still win the whole thing it’s only round four
I like your ways itchy balls. I have my own complex relationship with you on a day to day basis at home as well

Henry as sub - not a bad move - came on mid game in a Magpies game lastyear and kicked 4 goals and got them over the line in a tight finish

Geel are 0-3 where as Haw got flogged in the 1st 2 weeks by average and reasonable sides -however they did have a nice win last week against NM - who i thought were reasonable against Carlton - so they will get a little bit of confidence out of that

So it will be interesting what happens Monday

$1.16 the Cats -you have to be kidding - i think there are alot better $1.16 favourites to back than the Geelong side at present

Henry as sub - not a bad move - came on mid game in a Magpies game lastyear and kicked 4 goals and got them over the line in a tight finish

Geel are 0-3 where as Haw got flogged in the 1st 2 weeks by average and reasonable sides -however they did have a nice win last week against NM - who i thought were reasonable against Carlton - so they will get a little bit of confidence out of that

So it will be interesting what happens Monday

$1.16 the Cats -you have to be kidding - i think there are alot better $1.16 favourites to back than the Geelong side at present
Maybe based on win loss…but I just can’t see how Hawks can kick a winning score against us. Lining up Hawks forward line vs our backline - doesn’t seem like a contest at all. Cats to make a statement

Here’s what I want to see tomorrow.
No bloody smiling in the race on the way onto the ground or in the warm-up and huddle. Steely-eyed determination to remind the competition and Hawthorn that we are the reigning Premiers for a reason!!!
Knuckle down and commit, boys…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s what I want to see tomorrow.
No bloody smiling in the race on the way onto the ground or in the warm-up and huddle. Steely-eyed determination to remind the competition and Hawthorn that we are the reigning Premiers for a reason!!!
Knuckle down and commit, boys…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can do that while smiling, it's not a case of one or the other...

One of the things that helped us win 16 in a row last year was the players enjoying how they were going about things, and that meant them having a smile & a laugh, even on game day

And if anything, that exactly what we should be wanting to see from them tomorrow, to see that they still find joy in playing the game and being out there wearing the Hoops. It's much easier to turn things around when you're enjoying the environment your in and able to be oneself - take the joy away from that, and it's likely much harder to turn things around & start playing the way we know they can play

Henry for sub

There is absolutely no reason why Hardwick can't name the sub when he releases the team. Clearly too "Dimma" to know the rules.

Could say the same thing about quite a few players, Close and Stengle just to mention a couple.

Going on his last three ""meaningful"" games, rounds 21, 22 and 23 last year, which were arguably three of the best he's strung together in his career, I'm not sure where all this talk about him being so out of form are coming from, personally I couldn't really give a toss if he's not setting the world on fire in pre season or VFL matches, needs to be in the senior side IMO.

I dont disagree with that but i think they will give him a full vfl game over half an afl one.

On my henry call i know the hawks have no forward half talls of note (basically greene plus the resting ruck) but we are short down back with basically only sav and kolo so having henry as the sub would be logic for flexibility as he can play forward or back in case a tall gets injured but also gives us run. It also makes sense to basically swap him and rohan around (since rohan was sub last week).

There is absolutely no reason why Hardwick can't name the sub when he releases the team. Clearly too "Dimma" to know the rules.

Exactly as we did with Whyte when he was making his debut, and then as Sam Mitchell did when naming Hawthorns team & that Wingard would be the sub

That would be a factor but its the same as stanley last week both him and ceglar are old and need rests so when they are not in the afl they will generally get the week off and not play vfl.

Maybe based on win loss…but I just can’t see how Hawks can kick a winning score against us. Lining up Hawks forward line vs our backline - doesn’t seem like a contest at all. Cats to make a statement

Correct-they shouldnt kick a winning score against us unless they get a LOT of goals from their mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back