Preview Round 20: Geelong vs Fremantle, “The Clarke/Drum Cup” - Saturday 29 July, 1:45pm @ HOME

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seriously think that Neale is a better forward choice in a final in 2023 than Sav? What AFL form is that based on? It is a final, not work experience looking towards 2024 and beyond.
Are you forgetting the years we had to sit through praying Sav would at the very least compete? And on the rare occasions he did take a grab, he'd send the ball into the carpark.

We could have thrown a lawn chair out there for the same effect.

Neale even in his infancy could provide a similar (or better) return, and when the players are similar, you go with the younger guy. That's just the way footy's been for years.

Shane Kersten's stiff not to get a mention

Are you forgetting the years we had to sit through praying Sav would at the very least compete? And on the rare occasions he did take a grab, he'd send the ball into the carpark.

We could have thrown a lawn chair out there for the same effect.

Neale even in his infancy could provide a similar (or better) return, and when the players are similar, you go with the younger guy. That's just the way footy's been for years.
Sav has now put together some good games in defence, far better than when he was a forward. So he has some confidence and his marking was good.

But who do you think Collingwood or Brisbane would want to see in our forward line in a final? Sav or Neale. They would be praying for Neale.

Sav has now put together some good games in defence, far better than when he was a forward. So he has some confidence and his marking was good.

But who do you think Collingwood or Brisbane would want to see in our forward line in a final? Sav or Neale. They would be praying for Neale.
I think we'd be the one's praying if either of those scenario's eventuated.

I love Neale, and rate him highly...but he's not ready for a final.

And Sav as a forward? No thanks. We've seen that movie before. Even on the off chance he's learnt enough to actually hold his marks he'd just spray his kicks into the Great southern stand...and that's if Moore isn't already playing off him and tearing it up.

I'd just carry an extra mid in all honesty, and go in with Hawk, Rohan and O Henry.

Seeds I think you undervalue Rohan a tad: he kicked vital goals for us in the finals last year. Anyway Lloyd says he's ready to go, so he'll very likely be playing.

Rohan is an elite set shot in stark contrast to Esava.

As for Neale I'd play him before Esava; we know what Sav can do but we're still learning about Neale.
Yes he can kick some key goals too. I should add that.

Yes he can kick some key goals too. I should add that.
Whether he lands tackles or not, without him our whole forward group seem incapable of pressuring opposition to stop it slingshotting out with precision. Kind of a similar story for having so many intercept marks. Rohan's speed and chaos just livens us up a lot and he can be damaging on the scoreboard too.

Your main issue seems to be with him being a low possesion footy player.

If rohan was fluctuating between getting 20-30 touches a game, he would be the best player in the AFL.
I dont have an issue. he is best 22 for mine. I just think his defensive pressure work is massively overrated because it happens a lot lot less then everyone thinks it does. And the stats proove this.

his marking contest work is probably a tad underrated.

and if rohan got 25 possessions in a game i agree. He probably would be the best player in the afl. But that would be a gary rohan who offensively is almost 3 times better then the current gary rohan who is averaging only 9 disposals a game.

his marking contest work is probably a tad underrated.
I actually want to focus on this for a moment because I don't think contested marking gets nearly enough credit/focus in the modern game analysis landscape.

Just thinking out loud here and welcome to any corrections/criticisms from anybody.

It used to be the case in decades gone by that the major focus on contested aerial marking existed in the forwardline. Players were less fit, zoning wasn't a thing yet and thus contested marking was more common. For major forwards like Lloyd, Lockett, Ablett etc, it was their bread and butter. Contested aerial marks were probably more common through the centre (guessing here) because players would be more willing to take risks through the corridor because the cost of turnovers wasn't as severe.

Nowadays I feel like we don't see many contested aerial marks because A) defense is too fit and can usually create spoils if the opportunity arises, and B), players usually don't take risks by foot in the corridor because the cost is too high. In other words, you hardly ever see someone in the corridor kick to a teammate in the corridor who has a one-on-one to contend with.

Given all of that, aerial contested marks feel like a dying art, but players who can still back themselves in and clunk marks in the air - that is absolute gold for the territory battle. It forces opposition teams to concentrate all of their defensive efforts in an area of tiny radius, rather than spreading the load across a group of zoning players. It also opens up a huge amount of space ahead of the ball, as a clunked aerial contest is the functional equivalent of a turnover for those ahead of the ball.

Having said ALL of that, players like Rohan / Knevitt / Zuthrie are so much more valuable than people realize on transition. Contested marking between the arcs is one of the most valuable offensive things out there, in my opinion.

All this talk of would Sav or Neale play forward if need be? If Jez or Hawk go down the obvious choice would be to play J Henry forward and Sav down back. Praying that doesn’t happen but that’d be 96% chance the case
It was really a discussion going down the line of not disrupting the defence which is starting to get back to last season’s unity, without Sav in it.

But Jack Henry is a known option up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockers obviously had a down year but they have been competitive of late with woods and swans for 3 quarters… they just can’t get that consistency for 4 quarters. I recall a stat watching one of their game a few weeks back that they have a terrible first quarter record . They’ve lost 15 of last 18 first quarters or something like that, so hoping cats get to work early as we did against bombers & Roos recently at GMHBA.

And Sav as a forward? No thanks. We've seen that movie before. Even on the off chance he's learnt enough to actually hold his marks he'd just spray his kicks into the Great southern stand...and that's if Moore isn't already playing off him and tearing it up.

I'd just carry an extra mid in all honesty, and go in with Hawk, Rohan and O Henry.
Just my opinion. Neale is still a development player. A mark and grab guy. To elevate him as a next elite power forward I think needs to be tempered. There a plenty of similar marking players that have modest contributions and are not game changers. Hawkins and Cameron are bench marks ( excuse the pun). Some examples: Lewis Haw, Mc Stay and Johnson Collingwood, Weideman Ess, Mc Donald Syd, Van Rooyan Melb, Thilthorpe and Fogarty Adelaide. These get dropped and are very inconsistent. Neale is promising only but another year osr so away. But agree needs to be selected to find out is he more than a mark and grab B grader.

I actually want to focus on this for a moment because I don't think contested marking gets nearly enough credit/focus in the modern game analysis landscape.

Just thinking out loud here and welcome to any corrections/criticisms from anybody.

It used to be the case in decades gone by that the major focus on contested aerial marking existed in the forwardline. Players were less fit, zoning wasn't a thing yet and thus contested marking was more common. For major forwards like Lloyd, Lockett, Ablett etc, it was their bread and butter. Contested aerial marks were probably more common through the centre (guessing here) because players would be more willing to take risks through the corridor because the cost of turnovers wasn't as severe.

Nowadays I feel like we don't see many contested aerial marks because A) defense is too fit and can usually create spoils if the opportunity arises, and B), players usually don't take risks by foot in the corridor because the cost is too high. In other words, you hardly ever see someone in the corridor kick to a teammate in the corridor who has a one-on-one to contend with.

Given all of that, aerial contested marks feel like a dying art, but players who can still back themselves in and clunk marks in the air - that is absolute gold for the territory battle. It forces opposition teams to concentrate all of their defensive efforts in an area of tiny radius, rather than spreading the load across a group of zoning players. It also opens up a huge amount of space ahead of the ball, as a clunked aerial contest is the functional equivalent of a turnover for those ahead of the ball.

Having said ALL of that, players like Rohan / Knevitt / Zuthrie are so much more valuable than people realize on transition. Contested marking between the arcs is one of the most valuable offensive things out there, in my opinion.
Absolutely! Speed of movement is the name of the game and the ground opens up for those who can take contested marks anywhere through the corridor. Great post.

Agree - the days of the good ship Esava sailing forward have long gone Kobe Gryant
He is an incredible athlete but far from a natural footballer , Neale is for what it's worth - both an athlete and a footballer.

Sav has 2 issues - he cant judge the ball in flight as a forward and he can't reliably kick for goal.
Both deficiencies work better for him in defence - if he plays back shoulder he is led to the ball and he can use his athleticism ( very poor when zoning in defence as he doesn't know where the ball is going to be ) - as we saw earlier in the season. Plus he can choose a safe short option or kick long down the line in defence.
Neale is underdone but knows forward craft and is a beautiful set shot. He will come on in leaps and bounds next season.

The extra mid that could work well in that scenario is Menegola and I'd actually play him in a half forward/high half forward type roll - he's shown in the past that he's a strong marking option and he's not a bad set shot for goal, so he could cause a few problems for the opposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back