Preview Rnd 10 Fremantle vs Geelong, Saturday 20 May 4:35pm (AEST) @ Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adapted from the main board thread, I've shuffled around some player positions to where I think they'll actually line up:

DOCKERS
B: B. Cox, A. Pearce, B. Walker
HB: H. Young, L. Ryan, J. Aish
C: J. Clark, S. Switkowski, E. Hughes
HF: N. O’Driscoll, L. Jackson, B. Banfield
F: M. Walters, J. Amiss, L. Schultz
FOLL: S. Darcy, A. Brayshaw, C. Serong

I/C: J. Treacy, M. Frederick, N. Fyfe, J. O’Meara
EMG: N. Erasmus, W. Brodie, M. Johnson, K. Worner

CATS
B: M. O’Connor, E. Ratugolea, Z. Guthrie
HB: J. Kolodjashnij, J. Henry, T. Stewart
C: Z. Tuohy, T. Atkins, I. Smith
HF: B. Close, J. Cameron, G. Miers
F: S. Simpson, T. Hawkins, T. Stengle
FOLL: J. Ceglar, M. Blicavs, M. Holmes

I/C: J. Bews, B. Parfitt, T. Bruhn, M. Knevitt
EMG: J. Willis, O. Mullin, O. Dempsey, C. Whyte

Bolded are premiership players. Despite all the quality we are missing, we have 16 of them running out on Saturday. Freo are a decent side but there isn't a massive quality differential between the two line ups. Kick well, play well and we are in it right up to our eyeballs.
Kick straight, unlike last week, and we beat Freo. Its as simple as that.

Kick badly like last week, and we will lose.

We are losing 1 or 2 players each week to injury. In come Stengle and Jenry, out go Duncan, Oenry, Clark.

These are the outs now:
1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Cam Guthrie
3. Ollie Henry
4. Sam De Koning
5. Mitch Duncan
6. Gary Rohan
7. Rhys Stanley
8. Jack Bowes
9. Sam Menegola
10. Jye Clark
11. Shannon Neale

At this rate we might have to bring out the garden gnomes.

Plus conway and kroeger. Its a big injury list.

I have no doubt we would have rested a couple of older players like smith and tuohy if we had more fit players to come in.

My original post was made on the assumption they’d name the sub but quickly realised that’s not til game day.

Will be announced soon enough so just chill. Not sure why people get wound up. There’s a bit that goes on behind the scenes with families etc so just respect that and stay tuned.

Move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Youre talking about mullin then.

But that would require a late out and dempsey into the 22-i cant see them passing over henry when both OH and rohan are out.

My original post was made on the assumption they’d name the sub but quickly realised that’s not til game day.

Will be announced soon enough so just chill. Not sure why people get wound up. There’s a bit that goes on behind the scenes with families etc so just respect that and stay tuned.

Move on.

I'm going to assume flights from Adelaide to Perf are being organised

Move on.

Except that we've been happy to name the sub at the time of the team announcement across the season to date - we've done that with Whyte & Clark on debut, plus O. Henry & Rohan

Maybe there's a few more things going on

Youre talking about mullin then.

But that would require a late out and dempsey into the 22-i cant see them passing over henry when both OH and rohan are out.

Why?

It could simply be Mullin as sub, with Dempsey just an emergency this weekend

Weird dude. You didn’t say preventing them from occurring more often, you said preventable.

Accept that you were talking rubbish and move on.

I didn’t say all soft tissues injuries can be eradicated. It was clearly implied that some soft tissue injuries are preventable with the right load management, conditioning program, rest, etc. This isn’t a groundbreaking revelation, it is common knowledge and it is baffling that so many boneheads are coming after me for raising it.

Why?

It could simply be Mullin as sub, with Dempsey just an emergency this weekend

If you dont pick dempsey when rohan and henry are out when are you going to pick him?

If you dont pick dempsey when rohan and henry are out when are you going to pick him?

Not this week with J. Henry likely taking a spot up forward, and when we also have Close, Stengle & Simpson up forward

Dempsey may be the sub, but considering we've been happy to say things like that at the time of Thursday night teams & not only we didn't say that tonight, but twice in the team announcement article it says, "Dempsey is omitted", & "Dempsey will miss the round 10 clash."

It reads like Dempsey is helping to make the numbers on emergency list ahead of our clash with Fremantle, rather than being one in line to play as the sub

Not this week with J. Henry likely taking a spot up forward, and when we also have Close, Stengle & Simpson up forward

Dempsey may be the sub, but considering we've been happy to say things like that at the time of Thursday night teams & not only we didn't say that tonight, but twice in the team announcement article it says, "Dempsey is omitted", & "Dempsey will miss the round 10 clash."

It reads like Dempsey is helping to make the numbers on emergency list ahead of our clash with Fremantle, rather than being one in line to play as the sub
It could’ve all changed but it was once if you named a player “managed” they couldn’t be on the emergency list
Hence why they omit players to be able to use them as sub.
Not sure if that’s still a thing or not

Except that we've been happy to name the sub at the time of the team announcement across the season to date - we've done that with Whyte & Clark on debut, plus O. Henry & Rohan

Maybe there's a few more things going on
I would be very suprised if Mullin was sub. Mostly for the reason you stated (out of character for debut not to be named with team - indeed has been named before hand ie Clark). Plus I think if they wanted a defender I reckon they give Whyte another crack first? VFL form for either doesn’t distinguish either so I can’t understand why they wouldn’t give Whyte a chance to replace Duncan.

I still think it will be Dempsey (despite the wording in the “outs” - I think that might be just bad grammar reflecting he has been ommitted) unless they really feel like they need a defender…

Anyway all of this is absolutely proving why the AFL should insist they name a squad of 23… we would still be guessing who is sub but not who is left out of team

It could’ve all changed but it was once if you named a player “managed” they couldn’t be on the emergency list
Hence why they omit players to be able to use them as sub.
Not sure if that’s still a thing or not

Rohan was listed as managed for our round 3 clash with GC, and then named as sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just googling navicular stress reaction Recovery (always dangerous to get my medical advice from web - but can’t trust Cats updates!) and it says 6+ weeks (up to 12 weeks for fracture). To me that is more than “short term” and would be at least medium?

Maybe there can be a low reaction which is shorter term? Or google isn’t right?

any medicos on here that might have a better view

I see what you are saying but I don’t trust the wordsmiths of these announcement (remembering last time he was sub he was left off emergency list in the first place until Parfitt nicely decided he didnt want to be emergency!!).

The omitted I get (he can’t be injured and be on emergency and is too young to “manage”) but the second quote again suggests exactly what you are saying - but I would not be suprised if it isn’t just lazy language (as they normally don’t rule out emergencies either)

In any event I would not be surprised either way. Makes sense they might want a defender as sub given the ”ins” but they also might say that Henry could go back and Dempsey come on?

We won’t know until Saturday I suppose.

Of course it is a long flight so one of our older guys could get a game ending cramp on the way!!

Reckon it'll be Willis.

VFL form been solid with a really good game inbetween, and he fits the sub criteria.

Probably can't run out a full game at this stage, but could be an x-factor for a quarter or two, and can play forward or mid.

Same I guess could be said for Oisin, but feels a tad early especially after some hiccups.

We debuted MOC when he was as raw as a blue steak though, so who knows.

Yeah thats all fair but you have to be omitted to be the sub.

You dont underestimate any opposition

But Frem aernt world beaters far from it - 3 rounds back on their home ground lost to WB 69 to 118 - that was as bad as their loss to us 2 years back on their home ground in the wet - and that was a diabolical loss

Geelongs team is still good enough to have an ok win - Parfitt gets another chance so hopefully he plays well - but Holmes 2nd half against Richmond was pathetic - 2 possessions - i want to see Holmes play a full 4 qtr game - not just excite the supporters with qtrs or halves

Richmond weren't much chop and they rolled us. Before beating Wet Toast they lost 5 in a row.

This is the problem with this year with our injuries is that bottom 8 teams are beating us when they should be wins or % boosters.

We haven't even played the top sides yet outside of Pies.

I hope we get a good injury run this back half and not a continuation of what we're going through now or we won't even get a chance to contend this year.

We are losing 1 or 2 players each week to injury. In come Stengle and Jenry, out go Duncan, Oenry, Clark.

These are the outs now:
1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Cam Guthrie
3. Ollie Henry
4. Sam De Koning
5. Mitch Duncan
6. Gary Rohan
7. Rhys Stanley
8. Jack Bowes
9. Sam Menegola
10. Jye Clark
11. Shannon Neale

At this rate we might have to bring out the garden gnomes.

Neale

Menegola Stanley De Koning Bowes

Clark Guthrie Duncan Dangerfield

Henry Rowan

Not the worst team that.

Just googling navicular stress reaction Recovery (always dangerous to get my medical advice from web - but can’t trust Cats updates!) and it says 6+ weeks (up to 12 weeks for fracture). To me that is more than “short term” and would be at least medium?

Maybe there can be a low reaction which is shorter term? Or google isn’t right?

any medicos on here that might have a better view
I got may ends of the scale from Google. What worried me was moon boot it for 6 weeks, and then increase training loads for 6 weeks.

I really hope this is not a wasted season.

"Symptoms of a navicular stress fracture include: A poorly localized ache in the midfoot which is worse with exercise. Pain often radiates along the inside arch of the foot. Symptoms go away quickly with rest, only to return again as training resumes"

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Dempsey or Willis will be in. Dempsey probably is a good option to play outside or as a forward. Willis is more inside grunt and forward line resting.

It's a bigger ground, so I think Dempsey could be a good option as the Sub, but my gut feel suggests it will be Willis in.

I'm with Mr Meow

We're being tested enormously ATM, but we've still got 16 premiership players + Holmes and Sav who are quality.

That should still be enough to see us though to the bye, and we'll re-assess from there.

It's understated how important Close, Stengle and Miers are as a trio to us, and we saw that last week. We just looked disjointed.

They essentially are THE system by themselves. It's their work getting up and down the ground that was so cruicial in our dominance last year.

It won't be easy over there, stronger Geelong sides than this one have lost over in Perth...but I still expect us to win this (and the next two)

Said it before, got a real '22 Cats, '19 Tigers feel about this group, and the relaxed nature of the club shows this.

With players back and a block of home games to come I have no doubt the club is preparing to come home with a winning streak, but we have to get to the bye in decent shape first....and I think we will.

Cats by 2-3 goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back