Preview Rnd 10 Fremantle vs Geelong, Saturday 20 May 4:35pm (AEST) @ Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Mr Meow

We're being tested enormously ATM, but we've still got 16 premiership players + Holmes and Sav who are quality.

That should still be enough to see us though to the bye, and we'll re-assess from there.

It's understated how important Close, Stengle and Miers are as a trio to us, and we saw that last week. We just looked disjointed.

They essentially are THE system by themselves. It's their work getting up and down the ground that was so cruicial in our dominance last year.

It won't be easy over there, stronger Geelong sides than this one have lost over in Perth...but I still expect us to win this (and the next two)

Said it before, got a real '22 Cats, '19 Tigers feel about this group, and the relaxed nature of the club shows this.

With players back and a block of home games to come I have no doubt the club is preparing to come home with a winning streak, but we have to get to the bye in decent shape first....and I think we will.

Cats by 2-3 goals

I do agree with that-you only have to look at the eagles and tigers to see teams lose when they have injuries. If we can stay in the top 8 until thr bye we are doing well and we should then have 80 % of our injured guys back.

Our biggest issue this week will be ceglars tank on a bigger ground. But close and stengle are big ins as rohan will be when hes back.

I do agree with that-you only have to look at the eagles and tigers to see teams lose when they have injuries. If we can stay in the top 8 until thr bye we are doing well and we should then have 80 % of our injured guys back.

Our biggest issue this week will be ceglars tank on a bigger ground. But close and stengle are big ins as rohan will be when hes back.

Heard DBreton... talking about rucks yesterday .... had Darcy as attending a very high number of ball up , over 70% ... and then winning around 52% of them. Ceglar has his work cut out

Heard DBreton... talking about rucks yesterday .... had Darcy as attending a very high number of ball up , over 70% ... and then winning around 52% of them. Ceglar has his work cut out

Rated him his #1 ruck in the comp... Not a huge surprise to me that he is at least in the top handfull.

Get's to so many ruck contests and wins more than anyone else... Not bad for an unfit injury-prone fatty as some say he is.

Still should have some improvement in his game to add to that.

Hopefully Conway can be our strong monster workhorse like Darcy is in a few years... Until then, we need some extra help.

100% - I actually think Willis could be a good sub type player.

He is so powerful looking in tight that late in games he really could bust out of some packs when players are tiring and he is fresh.
He would. And I hope overtime will be a good player for us…great experience for him to feel part of the team as I have high hopes for him. As you said his power and side step is elite. He does just need to string together a dozen games to build himself back to full match fitness.

I still think Dempsey will be sub for this game. Guessing but just following the “patterns” in terms of how they have used sub before and interacted with “ins and outs”.

Unless there is a late change which I haven’t heard anything about (in which case Dempsey may go back into 22 and sub will be up for grabs. Although that might depend on who is late out - position). I think the next sub option would be Whyte. Don’t think we will have a debut sub this game - but just an opinion

Joel Selwood :)

Attended his function at the Camfield last night.
Great night , Joel spoke extremely well - such an articulate and caring man , so proud to be a Cats supporter today and every day.
He looks to be in a very good place post footy and is about to go on a long overseas holiday.

Couple of stories that may be of interest:

Jezza - had 2 spare GF tickets and ended up trading them to a local farmer for 5 cows :) Apparently the farmer had a breakdown and Jezza had to use his car to tow the trailer - got to bed a middnight on GF eve ........

Mindset change - Joel, Paddy and Stewart decided after round 9 last season that we weren't taking losses well - team was very down and everyone retreated into themselves. They decided to be a lot more united as a group after a loss - just like after a win , be positive and determined to improve whilst supporting each other. That lifted a lot of pressure , particularly off the young guys.

You just know Joel is going to be a success in whatever he chooses to do. Great man :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rated him his #1 ruck in the comp... Not a huge surprise to me that he is at least in the top handfull.

Get's to so many ruck contests and wins more than anyone else... Not bad for an unfit injury-prone fatty as some say he is.

Still should have some improvement in his game to add to that.

Hopefully Conway can be our strong monster workhorse like Darcy is in a few years... Until then, we need some extra help.

I think he will always be that barrel shape just like some great rucks of the past... Mick Nolan , Barry Round , even Bluey Hampshire ..im sure many others. I do wonder how he will be long term with his knees...

I agree Conway is probably hoped to be our version of him... I think they learned from the error of not selecting Darcy in the first place. Im an advocating of carrying more rather than less young rucks... I think its an injury prone area to play in and not all young ruck become the player hoped. The kid playing for the Falcons is now , Pike looks another big boy so if we get a chance as a Rookie I hope we at least consider it.

but..yes we nee middle age help.

Great night , Joel spoke extremely well - such an articulate and caring man , so proud to be a Cats supporter today and every day.
He looks to be in a very good place post footy and is about to go on a long overseas holiday.

Jezza - had 2 spare GF tickets and ended up trading them to a local farmer for 5 cows :) Apparently the farmer had a breakdown and Jezza had to use his car to tow the trailer - got to bed a middnight on GF eve ........

Mindset change - Joel, Paddy and Stewart decided after round 9 last season that we weren't taking losses well - team was very down and everyone retreated into themselves. They decided to be a lot more united as a group after a loss - just like after a win , be positive and determined to improve whilst supporting each other. That lifted a lot of pressure , particularly off the young guys.

You just know Joel is going to be a success in whatever he chooses to do. Great man :thumbsu:

You sure it wasn't "Joel, Paddy and Stewart decided after round 9 last season that we weren't taking losses well... so they just decided the team wasn't going to lose for the rest of the year?"

You sure it wasn't "Joel, Paddy and Stewart decided after round 9 last season that we weren't taking losses well... so they just decided the team wasn't going to lose for the rest of the year?"

Not quite PzB - it came across as a lot more inclusive than that and yes an example of the Leadership Group taking the lead.

Seeing as we didn't lose another game, who knows whether that would've made any difference?

Not quite PzB - it came across as a lot more inclusive than that and yes an example of the Leadership Group taking the lead.

I hope it's continued with Danger and Stew taking the reins this season. I'm sure it has - our culture's been a good one for the best part of 20 years, and I'm confident Joel wasn't the sole guardian of that.

I hope it's continued with Danger and Stew taking the reins this season. I'm sure it has - our culture's been a good one for the best part of 20 years, and I'm confident Joel wasn't the sole guardian of that.
You are right on the money there PzB - he was asked about Danger and the captaincy and he intimated whilst Paddy would have his own style and do it his way the core values are in place and would be maintained :thumbsu:
He also reinforced how aligned the whole Club is throughout.

So is Selwood still with the Melb Storm or have they parted company - you said he is about to go overseas etc

He'll also be at the Camfield for the Perth Cats get together before the game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back