Game Day Match Sim vs Hawthorn - Daz can’t be effed making a new one

Remove this Banner Ad

Parfitt criminally underrated on here. He has played over 100 games and when fit has been a walk up start in the seniors. I believe he has played 1 or 2 VFL games in his entire career, and now he is not going to be in the side as he hits his prime years? I don’t buy it. He will be in the side as he always is.

I think it's valid to question his and every role as we try to improve each and every year.
What does he provide and can someone do it better?
Is he a defensive mid / clearance mid / attacking mid / mid resting forward ? He seems more defensive / clearance.
I like him , he's got tricks but I question the hurt factor at times and whether Atkins can play that role better?
I also think it's testimony to our depth that players like him and Menegola will come under the spotlight with the new and developing talent we have on board.

Surprising how aggressive he is. Even Tuohy pointed out that they just did not know how in an under he was. That’s a real Selwood trait. We’ve got a lot of players who just slot in and continue to help us maintain our contested possession advantage and our precise field kicking advantage.
For a smallish player Tanner Bruhn (20y) is surprisingly 'extra' aggressive in tight, much more-so than your average small player, wonderful to see and he oozes class, that's a combination hard to come by. There was a bit of a young Lachie Neale about Tanner in tight yesterday, this kid is going to be a huge plus for the Cats long-term along with the likes of Ollie Henry (20y), Ollie Dempsey (20y), Sam De Koning (21y), Max Holmes (20y), Jhye Clark (18y), Toby Conway (19y) and Shannon Neale (19y), all will be top AFL players in time barring serious injury. Note that ALL these players mentioned are 22 years and younger, with some of them only babies.... what a great time to be a Geelong supporter.... GO CATTERS !!!

Parfitt is a solid player but I just think Bruhn and Bowes are better and more versatile, if Parfitt isnt on the ball where do you play him? Hes not a better half forward than Bruhn or Bowes.
I’ll start with in a fan of both Bruhn and Bowes but let’s cool our jets comparing him to Parfitt, Bruhn has had one game and it was very good
If he holds up against a strong midfield against Brisbane then so be it
But he was playing a team with only one good midfielder.
Bowes on the other hand played very well but only again a small sample.

Last edited:
I’ll start with in a fan of both Bruhn and Bowes but let’s cool our jeys comparing him to Parfitt, Bruhn has had one game and it was very good
If he holds up against a strong midfield against Brisbane then so be it
But he was playing a team with only one good midfielder.
Bowes on the other hand played very well but only again a small sample.
My take and not just on last nights match is Bowes has Parfitt covered I've seen a bit of him up here,Bruhn is the 20 year old coming hard he's not as clean or as good overhead as Bowes but is the one more likely to threaten Parfitts midfield role Bowes is capable of a utility role expect him to work between the arcs also with some mid field rotation if required.

Okay so I watched the game live last 2 1/2 quarters so I'm only gonna talk about the VFL team. Oscar Riccardi has IT. He played a bit loose, roaming role on the wing, helping up forward, he runs around looking to create impact and he definitely knows what he's doing, when he fills out and can contribute in tight he will play 200 games, probably 250. He will have a better career than Jhye Clark. There's a lot of negatives, I'm going to bite my tongue on individual names because I hate the writing payers off, but I will say that nearly all of those VFL boys have to pulls their socks up, those who have skills need to harden up and those who play hard need to improve their skills. One of these lesser lights however will surprise and break into the team, not sure who exactly but I have my suspicions but it's all up to them.
I admire your conviction...but remember this: It is possible to pump up one player without tearing down others...particularly in a match simulation scratch match.

Yes

We need to petition the AFL to have permission to select 30 players each week and that we shouldn't be restricted to just 23
Uncle Steve will pull some strings. We'll be allowed to start every game 5 goals ahead by round 3.

It's what he does.

Surprising how aggressive he is. Even Tuohy pointed out that they just did not know how in an under he was. That’s a real Selwood trait. We’ve got a lot of players who just slot in and continue to help us maintain our contested possession advantage and our precise field kicking advantage.
Bit of campaigner in him as well which I love.

Providing you're not giving away cheap free kicks, a bit of physicality and conviction is always good to see.

Hes a good player but i can see it. Was basically last picked in the 23 for the GF, if bruhn is going to become a full time mid which i suspect he will-we arguably dont need 2 defensive mids and i think atkins is ahead of parfitt for that role. Parfitt would get a game at a lot of clubs but i can see him not being a regular for us this year.
Parfitt was only last picked because he had an injury interrupted season and by the time he got back we were rolling.

When he is fit he always plays.

My take and not just on last nights match is Bowes has Parfitt covered I've seen a bit of him up here,Bruhn is the 20 year old coming hard he's not as clean or as good overhead as Bowes but is the one more likely to threaten Parfitts midfield role Bowes is capable of a utility role expect him to work between the arcs also with some mid field rotation if required.
I honestly believe Bowes can play that Bartel/Burgoyne role.

These guys are champions and Jack has a long way to go yet, but that Mr-fix-it, throw him anywhere role.

Parfitt is well ahead of Bowes. If Scott has shown nothing over his time at Geelong it is that he extremely loyal and values guys who play their role. Parfitt will have a lot of credits with Scott, I think he will have to be hurt for his position to be in jeopardy.

I'm sure they would have said the same thing this time last year about Melbourne.
Exactly.

The unfortunate reality is footy media is a flavour of the month industry. For those worried about the hype, if we start the season slowly (as we have in recent years) they'll be off us by round 5. It's just the way it goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a smallish player Tanner Bruhn (20y) is surprisingly 'extra' aggressive in tight, much more-so than your average small player, wonderful to see and he oozes class, that's a combination hard to come by. There was a bit of a young Lachie Neale about Tanner in tight yesterday, this kid is going to be a huge plus for the Cats long-term along with the likes of Ollie Henry (20y), Ollie Dempsey (20y), Sam De Koning (21y), Max Holmes (20y), Jhye Clark (18y), Toby Conway (19y) and Shannon Neale (19y), all will be top AFL players in time barring serious injury. Note that ALL these players mentioned are 22 years and younger, with some of them only babies.... what a great time to be a Geelong supporter.... GO CATTERS !!!
Close, Miers, Stengle... this little purple patch of drafting and trading feels like the batch we got with Bartel etc.

Parfitt is well ahead of Bowes. If Scott has shown nothing over his time at Geelong it is that he extremely loyal and values guys who play their role. Parfitt will have a lot of credits with Scott, I think he will have to be hurt for his position to be in jeopardy.
I like Parfitt, but Bowes seems to have some real go about him and so accurate under pressure. Not sure, it would be neck and neck for mine.

I like Parfitt, but Bowes seems to have some real go about him and so accurate under pressure. Not sure, it would be neck and neck for mine.
The difference is, Parfitt has played over 100 games with Geelong as a 24 year old. Bowes has played zero. Parfitt has the runs on the board and it will be his spot to lose.

You can see the team transitioning and guys like Parfitt and Menegola will come under pressure as we continue to evolve.
We have added considerably to our mid sized stocks through drafting and trading and that is absolutely needed with Duncan, Tuohy and Smith in the latter stages of their fabulous careers. Joel has also left the building. :(
I think we saw that Bruhn, Bowes and OH will be capable of best 22 yesterday ( only one outing but.....) and Dempsey is obviously highly regarded as well - that will put pressure on selection.
Good problem to have but there will be some casualties along the way - upside of that is our VFL team should be more competitive in 2023.
Completely agree, and what a great problem to have. When we are debating players of the quality of Parfitt and Mengola as to whether they're best 22, wow, our depth has gone to a whole new level.

No doubt many on the fringe of selection and the best 22 will still get to play quite a few games and make their case, as injuries and player management come into play.

We are in good shape - I can't remember a time when we had so much quality depth at our disposal. Credit to our list management team.

Loved visiting the Cattery after a long absence.

Enjoyed watching the new players. Bruhn looks great.

Seems like Henry will play round one so will be interesting against the Pies

Must admit I didn't see Bowes do a lot but I remember leaving the MCG one day many years ago and commented that Toby Bairstow didn't do a lot but I read in the paper the next day he had 40 kicks. So I'm not a great observer.

Cameron is such a class act Don't think he tried too hard either Injury free he looks unstoppable this year.

Also very impressed with Zach G. Can't believe the improvement which he deserves many plaudits for.

Noticed Ceglar addressed the players huddle at the start of the 3rd No idea what he said but he cracked them all up. Bews was still laughing a minute later.
Probably relating the specifics of what it was like at Hawthorn when he left

Loved visiting the Cattery after a long absence.

Enjoyed watching the new players. Bruhn looks great.

Seems like Henry will play round one so will be interesting against the Pies

Must admit I didn't see Bowes do a lot but I remember leaving the MCG one day many years ago and commented that Toby Bairstow didn't do a lot but I read in the paper the next day he had 40 kicks. So I'm not a great observer.

Cameron is such a class act Don't think he tried too hard either Injury free he looks unstoppable this year.

Also very impressed with Zach G. Can't believe the improvement which he deserves many plaudits for.

Noticed Ceglar addressed the players huddle at the start of the 3rd No idea what he said but he cracked them all up. Bews was still laughing a minute later.
Agree with you about Zuthrie. In all the talk of (exciting) new players it can be easy to miss but he had a really great presence in this game and is showing signs of continued growth following a break-through year last year.

The difference is, Parfitt has played over 100 games with Geelong as a 24 year old. Bowes has played zero. Parfitt has the runs on the board and it will be his spot to lose.

Great discussion - I think the aspect we can all agree on is that the bar this season on performance will probably be much higher as we will have depth pushing for a B23 spot.
That can only be a good thing for the Club as we try to go B2B. :think:

Parfitt is a solid player but I just think Bruhn and Bowes are better and more versatile, if Parfitt isnt on the ball where do you play him? Hes not a better half forward than Bruhn or Bowes.
I think Bruhns time at gws shows that he's inside or bust. Was not holding his own as a forward

Parfitt doesn’t even have a spot.

He was overlooked in the finals and only got a reprieve and a run as sub after Holmes got hurt.

I was actually surprised Parf didn’t play in the first final but Chris Scott showed his cards in regards to how many inside mids he will play when crunch time comes.

Selwood goes out... I almost see Holmes coming in for him as Holmes will definitely play more at stoppages this year and look to explode out of them (clearly Holmes is a jet).

That just leaves MOCs spot.
If MOC stays in the team that’s their call... but he is there because he had flexibility, which I think Bowes can do at a higher level. Parfitt has almost no flexibility and it’s midfield or nothing for him... and that’s without even trying to get Bruhn in the guts where he really needs to play if selected.

Wouldn’t mind Bruhn burning up the VFL for a couple of weeks before coming in though.

I think Parf is gonna be up against it this year and it really shows how deep we are as a list.

Of course I’m talking as if we have a full list to choose from which is pretty rare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back