Welcome BigFooty Saints Board Introductions - What's your background in following the Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1990 we were out to dinner and mum asked who i support. I only knew of one team so I answered "Essendon". Those thirty seconds before she suggested an alternative were the closest shave in my life. I mean sure I would have seen two premierships more than I have but by golly I reckon I dodged a Bullet there.

Anyway mum suggested "why don't you go for St kilda because your dad does and Sharna (my sister) goes for Carlton because I do?"

Seems logical. This by the way is why Carlton is my second favourite team. A lot of people look funny at me when I tell them that.

I started getting into it in 1995 when I did footy tipping for the first time. Haven't looked back since.

Born and raised in Moorabbin.

Went to the odd game at Linton Street in the late 60s/early 70s however wasn’t from a football supporting family so they were few and far between.

All that changed when at the start of 1973 my brother and I were given Junior Memberships by jockey Alan Trevena, a Saints supporter who lived close to the ground and who had become a family friend. Have taken out a Membership every year since.

Used to call in to the ground on the way home from Moorabbin Tech on Tuesday and Thursday nights, when training was held on those nights and you could have a kick out on the oval as the players came out and ran their warm up laps.

Saw all the modern greats debut. Saw a very young Plugger play an intra-club at Moorabbin in 1983 where he kicked 4 on Grant Thomas. Saw the first games of Harvey, Loewe, Burkey, Rooey.

Hardly missed a game when they were all in Melbourne. Social Club Member from the moment my younger brother attained the legal drinking age, though let it lapse in favour of AFL Membership once we moved from Linton Street and I could no longer use my legs as a form of (sometimes wobbly) transport.

Had some fun interstate. Remember travelling to Sydney to watch the Saints get absolutely thumped by Richmond before the Swans made the SCG their home. Regularly travelled to Sydney in the 80s and 90s but not so much since. Saw Plugger kick his 100th at Adelaide in 1990; also saw Devonport star early and then the Saints get smashed by Troy Ugle at the WACA in the same year. Saw the debut of Lenny in 1999 where he got poleaxed by Archer at the SCG.

Been to all the Grand Finals in 1997, 2009 & 2010. Have felt the hurts and the disappointments.

Have lived in Moorabbin, Camberwell, Sandringham, Footscray, Williamstown, Kensington and Northcote and used various forms of transport to get to the grounds. Relocated to Geelong in 2009 so now it’s V/Line all the way.

Will be making my way up again this Sunday. Because aside those few devastating Grand Final occasions I’ve had, and continue to have, a blast.

Gee I love this club :)
On this day of our great full forward's 50th I should add that I also raced the greyhounds Plugger Power & Plugger Fever :)

Oh, and Owenda Saints :cool:

Don't believe I've wandered in here before. 31 years ancient by now, following the Saints goes down the male line in my family, grandfather, dad, me. Almost had a severe genetic defect, maternal great-grandfather had a trial with Collingwood but he didn't like Melbourne's weather and went back to Perth.

I've been around a long time but haven't posted on this board much.

My parents came from Ireland and settled in Ripponlea in the mid 50s. Their neighbour said they should follow the Saints and they did. I was too young to remember the Premiership.

We started going every week in the late '60s. By then we had moved to Fairfield so it was a bit of a hike. There were five in the family and we usually brought a couple of friends so being the youngest I would just sit in the back of the station wagon with no seat and no restraints.

I was there in '71 and '97. In 2009 I was living in Zurich and managed to get one day off work. Flew out on the Thursday night and got in Saturday morning. Flew out again on Sunday morning and back to work on the Monday.

2010 I did the same again. As I was thinking about whether I could take some more time off and stay another week I got a text from my boss, also an Aussie, it said "great game, see you Monday"

Hi Everyone, I've been a BigFooty member for a few years, but only an occasional poster. Since I plan to start posting more regularly, I thought I'd introduce myself.

I was born and raised in the USA, but have had relatives on my mother's side in Australia for my whole life (she's British). With the family connection, I would watch the AFL Game of the Week on cable at some ridiculous time like 2am. I chose South Melbourne as my team, since they were crushed in the first game I watched.

By the time I moved here in 1983, the Swans had moved to Sydney, so I didn't become a member and rarely went to games.

I got married in 2000, to a mostly disinterested Richmond supporter. But I wanted my (future) kids to have the Melbourne footy culture as part of their lives, and my wife's sister, her brother, and his family, were all Saints members. So in 2003 I became a Saints member and have been to all but four or five home games since, as well as a few away games and some finals.

I don't have as much of the "history of losing" culture that a lot of long-time suffering Saints supporters have. With St Kilda's good record at Docklands as well as a bit of luck on my part in missing a couple of games in 2003, and then their good 2004 season, I watched many a victory in those early days, despite our average position on the ladder.

I'm happy that we're on the right track now, with a great coach and an exciting stable of young talent. I hope some of the older brigade can stick around to taste the (possible!) success in the next couple of years. It's a lot easier for me to prepare for a season than it is for Roo!

34 year old male (35 on election day) grew up in the outer east of Melbourne and currently living in Hawthorn with my cat (not named after a Saints player, sinfully), working as a data administrator.
I wasn't the sporty type as a kid, but seeing Nicky Winmar lift his jumper to prove he was proud of who he was regardless of what others thought had a life changing impact on me. I honestly barracked for Nicky for the first few years until I grew into my footy brain, now I'm a die hard with several Saints tattoos including one of Nickys famous moment that got me into the Herald Sun and prompted a meeting with the man himself, my ultimate idol. Currently, my favourite players would be Jackie Lonie and Sammie Gilbert, the latter of whom I respect and appreciate for his continued efforts to make sure LGBT people like myself feel equally included in our great club.
You can find me on match day in or near the cheer squad in my red white and black wig and 90s doo rag, probably screaching like a banshee at someone or other. Unless there is a clash with my other great love, Port Melbourne, that is.

Born in Tassy, so no real local team to support and my Mum and Dad were pretty big Saints supporters.

When I was about 12 Dad literally sat me down and said "Mate, you don't have to go for the Saints just because I do, we don't have the best history and you can pick any club". Silly me thought it can't be that bad. :drunk:

45 male 5 kids currently in sunny QLD work in a NFP as a family relationship educator. I grew up near Moorabbin used to go the ground, standing room only to watch Plugger, Harvs, and big buckets Lowie. Those days every win was like winning a grand final! I was there when we played our last game at Moorabbin...thankfully we won.

Migrated to Waverley (arctic) park. The traffic was bad getting in and even with some tracky dacks under my jeans it was still cold. I used to love watching Winmar dash down the wing, a lovely sight. Milne was a favourite player for years, Lowe, Harvs' duck and weave...Fraser pissing in the pub. Oh too may good times to mention. I was at Waverley when the lights went out-now that was a bit of fun.

I was at the MCG in 97 and had a ball for the first 3 quarters, then came Jarman. I walked home in the rain (after a sullen train ride) with the theme song "We're the pride of South Australia" ringing in my ears. The best part of the day was the 5 tickets a 'friend' scalped to Crows fans. Made himself a tidy profit. I was sitting at home during the drawn grand final. My pulse was about 200, my feat were sweating, I thought I would faint (like Molly did in '66). Seriously-a draw?! I put $5 on for a draw-I should have put $50.

My (not) so favourite quote of all time? "I exercised a clause in my contract..." Yea good one-frack face. I am pretty happy with the new lot, young, exciting, as yet inconsistent but exiting to watch. We should have some good years ahead. St Kilda is my family, and every Saints fan is family as well. I love you's all!

Finally, I met an older bloke at the shops once with an old faded Saints tatt on his forearm. I commented that I loved his tatt and he said he got it after the '66 grand final and was still waiting to get a matching one. This man, a Saints fan, literally wore his heart on his sleeve. Gold.

-Sainter for Life-

Last edited:
St ChikoDraftee
St Kilda
Other teams:
Greetings all, I've been living in Mission Beach North Queensland for almost 6 years now, so I haven't missed much. Before that I lived in Melbourne, predominantly in the SE Suburbs (Oakleigh). I have religiously been browsing this forum now for about 14 years. I've seen it all, the good and bad. I love the passion you guys have for the red white and black. I'm with you all the way, and can understand the emotion behind your posts. When I was a young lad living in West Sunshine, I jumped on a train and headed for the Western Oval to watch my first game vs the dogs(1970). The only memory of that game I have is a left footed drop kick from the centre of the ground to the top of the goal square by John Mc Intosh.

In 1972, still living in the west, I decided I was going to Moorabbin. Told my mum I was going to the footy, all good, by the time I got home there was a search party looking for me. My uncle had turned up and asked me where I had been, he being from Oakleigh understood, my mum had never heard of the place.

What a day St Kilda 24.21 to10.16, our record score at the time, I was hooked.

My earlier memories were listening to the saints on the radio, every Saturday at 2.10 pm. I still remember the '71 GF, The Prelim, Alan Davis got us through.

In 1974 I started taking my little brother to the footy, he wanted to be a Hawks supporter, but I convinced him the Saints were the best. He's still a tragic, and has never ever brought up the subject. My sister also became a saints fan because of us, until she married an Essendon supporter. My Parents being of ethnic origin had no idea, but also barracked for the Saints because of our Passion.

I played footy from 1975 to 1989, so once again I didn't miss much. (Emmanuel FC in the Churches Comp). So I've been to just about every home game and more since 1990 till I moved up North.
I'm loving the life up here, but seeing what is unfolding, I will be moving back to Melbourne in the near future to give myself one last chance to see what we have all been patiently waiting for.

We're all in the same boat, try and understand why some supporters say what they say.

Like you, I love The Saints.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

St ChikoDraftee
St Kilda
Other teams:
Greetings all, I've been living in Mission Beach North Queensland for almost 6 years now, so I haven't missed much. Before that I lived in Melbourne, predominantly in the SE Suburbs (Oakleigh). I have religiously been browsing this forum now for about 14 years. I've seen it all, the good and bad. I love the passion you guys have for the red white and black. I'm with you all the way, and can understand the emotion behind your posts. When I was a young lad living in West Sunshine, I jumped on a train and headed for the Western Oval to watch my first game vs the dogs(1970). The only memory of that game I have is a left footed drop kick from the centre of the ground to the top of the goal square by John Mc Intosh.

In 1972, still living in the west, I decided I was going to Moorabbin. Told my mum I was going to the footy, all good, by the time I got home there was a search party looking for me. My uncle had turned up and asked me where I had been, he being from Oakleigh understood, my mum had never heard of the place.

What a day St Kilda 24.21 to10.16, our record score at the time, I was hooked.

My earlier memories were listening to the saints on the radio, every Saturday at 2.10 pm. I still remember the '71 GF, The Prelim, Alan Davis got us through.

In 1974 I started taking my little brother to the footy, he wanted to be a Hawks supporter, but I convinced him the Saints were the best. He's still a tragic, and has never ever brought up the subject. My sister also became a saints fan because of us, until she married an Essendon supporter. My Parents being of ethnic origin had no idea, but also barracked for the Saints because of our Passion.

I played footy from 1975 to 1989, so once again I didn't miss much. (Emmanuel FC in the Churches Comp). So I've been to just about every home game and more since 1990 till I moved up North.
I'm loving the life up here, but seeing what is unfolding, I will be moving back to Melbourne in the near future to give myself one last chance to see what we have all been patiently waiting for.

We're all in the same boat, try and understand why some supporters say what they say.

Like you, I love The Saints.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Great Post, Welcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone, I am 36, live in St Kilda and have been a passionate supporter of the saints my entire life.

I didn't have a choice really, my father had it decided for me long before I was born.

I've been there through all the lows and the very nearly highs. Am beginning to believe again that we are building a group capable of claiming that elusive second flag. I can't wait to finally celebrate one with the old man!!

Hi everyone!

I have never been to Australia, but became a Saints fan in the past few years and have started to watch more regularly over the past two seasons. In Canada, one of our sports channels, TSN, shows 1-2 AFL games per week. Around the time the Saints were last contending, they were on TV several times a season and I was cheering for them during the 2009 and 2010 playoffs/finals. I could never just start cheering for a perennial frontrunner and was hoping the Saints would win to break the championship drought. However, over the next few years, I remained only a casual footy fan, sometimes watching whoever was on TV (rarely ever the Saints at this point), though keeping an eye on how the Saints were doing.

Last year, about a month after the season started, I decided to buy AFL Global Pass and start watching the Saints every week. For 2016, I signed up as an international member (which includes AFL Global Pass) for the first time and will continue renewing my membership going forward, hoping to come to Australia some year soon. Once I choose a team, I don't stray (for example, my hockey team, the New York Islanders, have only made the NHL playoffs eight times in 23 years, and have only advanced to the second round once in that time, so a lot of lean years there), so this is a passion of mine now.

I am mostly a lurker, but look forward to reading/discussing everyone's comments.

Sean

Hi everyone!

I have never been to Australia, but became a Saints fan in the past few years and have started to watch more regularly over the past two seasons. In Canada, one of our sports channels, TSN, shows 1-2 AFL games per week. Around the time the Saints were last contending, they were on TV several times a season and I was cheering for them during the 2009 and 2010 playoffs/finals. I could never just start cheering for a perennial frontrunner and was hoping the Saints would win to break the championship drought. However, over the next few years, I remained only a casual footy fan, sometimes watching whoever was on TV (rarely ever the Saints at this point), though keeping an eye on how the Saints were doing.

Last year, about a month after the season started, I decided to buy AFL Global Pass and start watching the Saints every week. For 2016, I signed up as an international member (which includes AFL Global Pass) for the first time and will continue renewing my membership going forward, hoping to come to Australia some year soon. Once I choose a team, I don't stray (for example, my hockey team, the New York Islanders, have only made the NHL playoffs eight times in 23 years, and have only advanced to the second round once in that time, so a lot of lean years there), so this is a passion of mine now.

I am mostly a lurker, but look forward to reading/discussing everyone's comments.

Sean
Great to have you on board Sean! I especially love reading stories like this.

I think it's safe to say that most of us Saints supporters have had to put up with plenty of heartbreak from all of the near misses, but that builds character, and makes success, when it eventually comes, all the sweeter.

Hi everyone!

Sean
Welcome aboard my friend!

Go Saints!

I think it's safe to say that most of us Saints supporters have had to put up with plenty of heartbreak from all of the near misses, but that builds character, and makes success, when it eventually comes, all the sweeter.
Indeed. When we finally win the big one most of us will probably have to lash out and purchase a copy of "Celebrating AFL Premierships for Dummies"

We will however make sure we get the hang of it over the ensuing months, and more months, and more months..... :D

Hi everyone!

Sean

Welcome :)

I too support the NY Islanders... I became hooked via the EA Sports NHL series in the late 90s early 00s. Loved Ziggy Palffy

Hi everyone!

Sean
i care for none of your teams except for the saints

Hi everyone!

Sean
Fair to say if you ever make it down under you'll score some free accomm from some of us!

Family moved from Qld to East Bentleigh in 1969 - the VFL first match my Dad attended was St Kilda v Carlton Round 1 (1969) at Moorabbin

Dad went with a work colleague who was a Bluescum supporter who was trying to tell Dad to follow Carlton - my Dad said the team I follow will be the one that loses this game ..................... we lost by 3 points and the whole family have been diehard Saints supporters ever since

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1969/031519690405.html

Thank god we lost - to think I could be Carlscum supporter ......... I dry retch when I occasionally revisit this notion

Family moved from Qld to East Bentleigh in 1969 - the VFL first match my Dad attended was St Kilda v Carlton Round 1 (1969) at Moorabbin

Dad went with a work colleague who was a Bluescum supporter who was trying to tell Dad to follow Carlton - my Dad said the team I follow will be the one that loses this game ..................... we lost by 3 points and the whole family have been diehard Saints supporters ever since

Thank god we lost - to think I could be Carlscum supporter ......... I dry retch when I occasionally revisit this notion
what a narrow escape

So they now have moved to Bentleigh East? WTF is this Bentleigh east rubbish. Its East Bentleigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back